What is the significance of your screen name?

Well, now your screen name makes more sense! @OldSkunk I wasn’t sure. Thanks for the clarification!

@highcountrygal yeah, that does sound like a play on words, but completely valid point all around. Appreciate you sharing.

5 Likes

I should have taken the time to post my avatar or whatever that picture is called sooner. I was too lazy to figure out how to do it.
svg

11 Likes

@Momtomask
I’m curious about your profile pic. I’ve seen that some place before but can’t put my finger on it. Would you mind sharing what it is.

2 Likes

I’m from the south and have a thick accent. I know granddaddy is spelled wrong, but that is the way my first grandson would pronounce it

10 Likes

It’s spelled right❤️ good morning!

2 Likes

@Fairieswear8oots good morning my friend

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Grandaddy013

1 Like

My names pretty simple yet complex and probably boring to others. Sorry in advance. lol

I acquired the name shortly after my first divorce. I grew up mostly a happy kid. All of my needs met so I thought, even though later in life I’d research that I grew up in one of the poorest school districts in the US at the time, littered with gang violence daily.

Out of hs I sort of fell into a relationship that turned toxic. Got married too early in life, and it was too demanding. The relationship went sour and turned into a failed marriage. That spiraled into more depression, anxiety issues and a failing relationship that warped me from a happy go lucky kid who was so close to zen to a dark, depressed hermit of sorts.

Hence the Doom. The gloom. The darkness and the fear of my past. I’m trying to get back to where I once belonged. I never worried, I was never anxious before.

Btw weed kicks most of that right in the balls and I’m back to the original me after smoking. I know it sounds like a really good plot for an 80’s action/sitcom (You know like Chips) but it’s the truth.

My super powers come from weed!!! I’m only really me when I’m high.

I’m not all doom nowadays. I have dogs that love me. My new relationship is amazing and we compliment each other well. We take care of each other. I’m trying to better myself by going thru therapy to try and resolve my internal issues from the past. I’m better and better every day but not there yet.

Sack represents the little, fragile paper sack (similar to the ones I took my lunch in as a school boy) that stores all my baggage from the past.

I added a yield sign with a pot leaf on the paper sack last year because it’s a reminder to take a smoke break.

16 Likes

@DoomSack I faced similar issues as far as depression goes after a break up. I may have gotten over it sooner if I had cannabis in my life sooner. Either way, I made an agreement with myself to prevent being that sad at all costs. My attitude has sense been much more cheerful.

9 Likes

@DoomSack and @Covertgrower
I totally get this. I applaud you both for sharing this part of your journey. Not many people talk openly about the dark side. Depression sucks big time! I cried EVERYDAY for 3 years after my divorce. The depression lasted longer than the relationship!

It was so hard to remember, while in the throws of it, that I wasn’t alone and that’s why it’s so important to share, you never know who’s “hearing with their heart”. And sometimes, knowing I’ve helped another, helps me.

Also, while a little marijuana maintenance helps, it’s just masking the emotions. That’s ok for a bandaid but real healting came from enlisting a good therapist and sharing and helping others.

7 Likes

Depression’s a bitch, suffered it my entire life and it was only after having a complete breakdown after seeing one too many loved ones drop dead in front of me and ending up spending 2 months in a psych ward that something went “click” and my mood pretty much changed permanently. One good thing that came from that was that the present missus was also a patient there so that’s how we met, although it was only after she took advice and got out of a VERY toxic relationship that we got together and have been happily so for 8 years now, with me seeing improvement in her almost daily thanks to being with someone who does think of more than just himself.

But, believe it or not, the one thing that changed my mood to it’s current level of happiness and enjoying life was actually my back failing on me so badly I can’t work any more. You see, I’d known for 14 years that the day when everything went south would come, and living every single day wondering if every little twinge or sharp pain was “the end” puts an enormous amount of stress on you so when it did finally go it wasn’t so much a monkey off my back but a whole pack of gorillas, I knew that was it, it had finally happened, so no more worries, no more being scared of it happening, I could move on with my life.

Is my life perfect? Hell, no. The pain can be incredible and walking can be a real struggle, but, as I say to myself, “It’s only pain, I know why it’s there, it isn’t going to kill me, so it can go and eff itself”. Sure, I need a weak dose of duloxetine daily to keep the mood swings down because knowing that you’re, effectively, on the scrapheap at the age of 50 is hard to accept, especially with the constant pain, but I always try to find a ray of sunshine no matter how cloudy it is and, of course, when I have a bad day I always remind myself that s**t happens, there will be bad days, but tomorrow is another day so then I can make the most of it. It took me years to train myself to be the way I am now, and no matter what life throws at me there’s always a bigger chance you’ll see a smile on my face than a frown, for I am me, I don’t give a rodent’s rectum if I say something some snowflake gets “offended” by, for the only thing that matters to me is that myself and my missus are happy and if people don’t like that they can just go and do one.

And always remember the following, soon to be tattooed on a forearm, “Illegitimi Non Carborundum”, and live by that as well as “DILLIGAF”. You won’t go far wrong in life if you do.

7 Likes

Thanks for this @DoomSack

Many aspects of your short write up remind me of myself.
I grew up on the “poor” side of town. We never wanted for a thing and my dad did amazing things with his meager salary. My Mom died of cancer when I was 10 and I spent the next 20 years feeling sorry for myself.

I met a girl through a friend when I was 17 and we eventually married when a baby happened. Trouble is, her family had money but at that time she resented them and their money. We were in Love then and did not get married because of the baby. Life changed immediately. It became obvious I was second in her life to those that would write the check. The woman relied on her parents for everything and each time they bailed her out, more and more ridicule was directed my way for not being the provider I could be.

Like you, this did nothing for my overall psyche and I became an isolated, angry, emotionally labile shell of a man. I was living and breathing emasculation by my once, true love.

I put up with it for another 8 yrs feeling that it was my fate, some sort of Karma that I deserved. Plus I had two beautiful daughters.

I walked out in 1998. I began a self help recovery and vowed to be happier. Though I still have strained relations with my daughter’s. I have never been more at peace or happier than I have been in the past 15 years. Believe it or not, my state legalizing recreational weed was like a gift that I got for pulling my self up out of that hole, wanting to live life and finding my current GF and friends.

Enough said, welcome my friend and thanks for sharing. I look forward to a day when you feel you are ready for a new screen name!!

11 Likes

Hello everyone , hope y’all having a great morning. Well Mr Crabs was gave to me beacause I was always on the move, always worked thru holidays chasing that money. It felt like I always had everything in control with a big lump of cash around. The universe had different plans for me, I lost a very close relative to me, to suicide. He didn’t have a bad life gave him everything a boy could want. So it turns out all the money in the world can’t bring him back. Life’s lessons learned. Now Mr Crabs quit chasing paper and just chases life. Sometimes a kind word and a few mins. of your time a worth more than a bar of gold.

12 Likes

@DoomSack I think we all have been there a few times in life, I know I have. And everything you said about smoking is oh so true, I am a totally different person. I fight both depression and ADHD now figure out that one. Weed shows me the path to keeping it together, without, I haven’t a clue which road to take hence being so scattered I don’t know where to look to find the pieces! In other words you are not alone! I was wondering how you came up with that ‘name’ Thanks! It’s always nice to know a little bit about each other and why we all hang out together.

5 Likes

Whew! I feared it was because you kept catching crabs! And not the ones you want to eat!!

10140776cbedb102e2633c13baa23a4c2c8a4bab

JK

bb1cc0ed6a39a7a65d99361ddad5e5a9b93dc5c3

8 Likes

@highcountrygal and @DoomSack and others

Yes I forgot to address that aspect of the post.
Going back to my HS days, my close friends, the ones who smoked all day everyday, we all agreed, we smoked to “get straight” vs to “get stoned.” I have always felt that way. Anytime I start a project and it’s not going my way (dropping stuff, forgetting stuff or just making mistakes) the first thing I always have and always will turn to is my weed.

I had housemates in college that were always “in awe” that I could smoke so much dope, attend a class, absorb the material and ace the test or class. I always just told them, I would even be able to begin to do this without pot. They would laugh and say “well you know they say if you learn it stoned, you will only remember it stoned.” Okay, that works out well for me… Most of these guys loved to party and smoke dope but only when all responsibilities were taken care of because to watch them on pot was like me being on LSD.

So us “chronics” have an edge. Some call it tolerance but that misses the mark completely. I can barely brush my teeth if I am not stoned because I will cut the task short to go get stoned, then brush my teeth.

I know you can all relate to some degree.

Do I wish I could puff and trip out with uncontrolled laughter, distortions of time etc, not really, then I would be like “them” and have to imbibe only when it was safe no one would catch me so %$#@ up!! I prefer the chronic style of smoking…keeps the keel evenly in the water.

12 Likes

There’s a reason we refer to it as “Getting my head right.”

That’s one of my problems with this new “Drive Baked” campaign I’m seeing here in Florida. Who are you to determine if I’m baked?

“Of course you smell marijuana! I have to burn to deal with idiots like you!”

Yeah, I’m not telling that to the cops, but come on! I tried Lyrica(sp?) for sciatic pain before. Felt like I drank a fifth of Jim Beam! How is it ok for people to drive on pain meds?? Oh, because they’re accustomed to the effects?

Welcome to my world of weed!!

7 Likes

@DoomSack, @Screwauger, @FloridaSon you all sound like I wrote that piece.

I was a happy guy. In my mid 50’s a coworker and dear friend moved away and when she did I fell apart. That was 4 years, 4 months, 28 days ago. She no longer has anything to do with me. I lost 60 pounds in 5 weeks, developed cluster headaches and am now where I am now.

Cannabis made a huge difference.

11 Likes

We all share our love with cannabis and some of us have similar reasons to seek out this wonderful plant. btw Thank you @Myfriendis410 for starting this topic. I’ve been lurking a while, enjoying reading everyone’s stories.

6 Likes

Ha ha, not quite, I did get crabs from a man at the pier, took them home and had a feast! Have a good day my friend . How’s that heat in Florida, today we baking at 93 degrees.

1 Like