What is the secret to dense hard buds?

Hi, I’ve done 3 grows, 1st one was very experimental and didn’t produce much as expected. 2nd one was white widow, had an ok harvest but the buds weren’t very hard and dense. 3rd grow was gorilla glue auto, 2 plants, had almost 2 pounds after wet trimming. The smoke is great but again the buds which were pretty impressive again weren’t dense, what am I doing wrong?

Sounds like you don’t have adequate lighting

I’m using 2 mars hydro 400w led grow lights, in a 2x2 x4 grow tent, are they not enough?

1 Like

I’m also using happy frog soil, and the fox farm triple pack, big bloom, tiger bloom and grow big fertilizers at 1/4 strength.

It may be enough light but is it quality light?? Also, the actual wall power draw is around 100 Watts I believe.

2 Likes

you’re kidding right? please say you’re kidding. why is that companies don’t tell you exactly what the light puts out ???

2 Likes

To trick you into buying them. Common mistake for new growers. I have a 300 watt blurple light sitting in a cabinet somewhere also. @sparker
@dbrn32 is the guy you want to talk to to get info on lighting

1 Like

This should be more than enough. They are each 161 true watt lights. Two of them you have 322w in a 2x2. There must be something else going on. Where are the seeds from?

1 Like

Lighting will play a pretty big factor in your bud density. So will genetics, nutrients, environmentals, and overall plant health.

It’s pretty easy to take care of lighting, just costs a couple bucks. The ppf per watt of most the lights on Amazon is pretty low. When you can, investing in a better lighting setup would probably help a lot. But you can look at other things too, like not having tall plants that are difficult to get light below the canopy and stuff I mentioned above.

those 2 gorilla glue were given to me by a friend.

that is why I only grow medium to short trees. what is the optimum wattage I should be using for a 2x2 tent?

Not all lights, regardless of wattage, are the same though.

2 Likes

Not really about watts unless you know the efficacy of the lights. You want to be able to hit recommended daily light integral on a 12 hour light schedule. You can figure that out if you have total photosynthetic photon flux of the fixtures. Unfortunately mars hydro doesn’t post that data.

1 Like

Oh I know. But mars hydro aren’t terrible. I used 1 viparspectra 300 (122w) in a 2x2 and the plant was full of really dense buds. Have two of them in a 2x4 right now with 6 weeks to go. So time will tell if the first was a fluke or not.

3 Likes

Upping the nutrients should also help with buds. If your in flower 1/4 nutes most likely wont cut it.

2 Likes

I guess i’ll try upping the nutrients and see what happens, I think I’m ALMOST there, it’s a great high and it’s fun, thanks for everyones input. I’ll keep posting as we go.

Pictures of the plants may help too. :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Few things make dense buds lights, co2, temperature and nutrients.

Co2 supplementing is optional of course but try to get fresh air feeding into the grow, the other 3 need to be controlled especially temperature.

Was thinking the same. Got pics? Any chance you’re cutting them too early?

2 Likes

maybe you harvested them too early? normally you can feel…