What is the general co on topping or gimmicks g auto flowers?

Hello all. Thanks for the info. I had a northern lights auto that a “experienced friend” topped. It stopped growing and producing buds
I now have a gorilla cookies auto and I’m not sure I should touch it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

Autos are better with less stressful training techniques, like lst. Topping can be done but you want the plant to have been healthy from get! Just looking at her she looks healthy enough. Maybe try a fim instead? If you do top, I recommend toping down to 4th or 5th node.

4 Likes

Gorilla cookies by FastBuds by any chance? If so they’re pretty resistant, but I never too ornfincmynahtos just do loads of LST until I get minimum of 5-6 main colas

1 Like

If good quality sunlight is not in short supply I would let the GGC take its natural form. I don’t see a lot of reason for topping or doing a lot of manipulating with outdoor plants. Especially autos. Indoors is a totally different situation.
The NL may have just stalled for a few days. I would not top an auto if it is flowering. Give it some time. Hopefully it will sort things out.

1 Like

I dunno wtf I was trying say here :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Healthy looking plant , If you choose to top auto plant best to snip at about 5 nodes. They usually start flowering between 5 to 7 weeks you can get one that takes longer to flower. :v::+1:

2 Likes

This is how she looks now. I haven’t done anything besides water and feed. I think I’m gonna let it do it’s own thing

4 Likes

Looking very happy!

2 Likes

Looking good , let her run her course too late to top after she starts flowering. :v::+1:

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like

I read somewhere on here, its advised no to top autos. They are gonna do their thing no matter what.

Good, looking :+1:

1 Like

Autos have a short growth period. Topping is a method of training that is used to double leaders and keep plants squat. The issue with topping is there is a delay in producing new shoots, this can reduce overall plant volume due to the delay, which normally takes a week or more to catch up. The best advice I can give would be to use low stress training techniques to expose the internodes without topping. Supercropping or simply progressive bending would be much preferred over topping. Try placing a stake a couple feet from the plant and gently tie a loose ( not constricting ) loop around the tip of the plant. Gently start to bend it a little bit each day, the goal is to get the internodes to become individual tops. The reason this happens is because the growth hormones responsible for upward growth is located in the meristem or upper tip of the plant. If you lay the plant sideways that hormone goes to the most upper portion and that can be multiple tips. Ergo, the idea is expose as many tips to the sun as possible without interruption of growth.

Thank you very much. That is very helpful (and very informative )
I believe that’s what I will do

Would you mind explaining “supercropping”
Thanks

Super cropping is a high stress training technique.

Training the plant allows deeper light penatration as with some trimming of leafs. Purpose is to promote bigger bud growth which is higher yield.

New here, hope that helps

1 Like

Hormones called auxins tell the plant that Im the highest part… make me bigger than the rest of the plant because Im more likely to make seed. Its a growth hormone. When you bend or supercrop, effectively you are lowering that limb brlow or level to the rest of the canopy. The response is to divert the auxins to the next most viable portion/s of the plant. So instead of having one main leader, you may have several. With supercropping ( kinking ) the stem, there is a lag time of a bout 2 to 3 days before the plant is back to business in contrast… topping requires the formation of bew grouwth. Bending, which is gradual and generally less offensiive does not seem to have any lag time but carries a much higher risk of main stem breakage. Therefore, bending actually requires gteater patients and skill to supercropping. Supercropping does not expose as many branch unions as beding either. Just be super careful and slow when bendingbit isnt a 1 day thing. You can even start the bending process as a seedling by staking the plant down as it grows. In reality when folks use a scrog net, they are often using a bending technique without realizing it

Sure, simply squeeze a branch enough to almost flatten the stem and gently twist the stem to fold it over. If you have never done it, I recommend watching a video on yoo toob. Its pretty easy, but done wrong you can break stems.

Thanks again for all the info. Sounds scary to me. I’ll be gentle