What is the easiest strain to grow outdoors in Massachusetts?

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks

What is the easiest strain to grow outdoors in Massachusetts?

1 Like

You are just going to have to read the description of each strain to find out what fits your needs

2 Likes

I’m calling in @Willd for you as he’s a great outdoor grower in the NE

5 Likes

Agree with you. He has had some awesome grows !

3 Likes

@ILGM.Zoe
Purple Haze, Gold Leaf, and Pineapple Haze all did great in mid coast Maine and should flourish in most parts of MA.

Starting seeds indoors is recommended to achieve transplanting bigger plants once they are ready to go directly in the ground. Massachusetts has multiple hardiness zones you need to be aware of as well to predict last frost in spring and firsrt hard frost in fall.
I used all feminized seeds. Many growers have had good success outdoors with White Widow & Blueberry too.
You could try autoflowering plants if you’re new to growing.
Blueberry Auto has produced some great indoor results for @Screwauger.

3 Likes

I am giving blueberry,amnesia haze and northern lights auto’s a try in Georgetown Ma. Plan on seeding them in my basement in mid May then putting them outside June 1st :+1:

4 Likes

Excellent. I am in Danvers, and this is my first grow. I have a small vegetable garden which I must also attend to so I am looking for a strain that is very low maintenance. My cannabis spot has both sun and shade, and I prefer sativa’s but I would be happy to grow anything, just for the experience. I have my own compost pile to draw from, but any low cost suggestions would be great.

1 Like

Thank you, I am about 5 miles in land from the coast. And I would like a low maintenance grow, because I have a lawn and vegetable garden to also attend to. The cannabis area will have a mix of sun and shade. Low cost , low maintenance strains will be best , and I do not need a huge yield…The purple haze and pineapple haze seem good to me since I have enjoyed them in the past , but it does not need to only be a sativa. Thank you for your good suggestions

1 Like

my pleasure neighbor.
I’m in love with my pineapple haze. I used Alaska fish emulsion and Gen Hyro CaMg+ through all of veg phase and into flower a little. I cut back to 1/4 strength when switching to the bloom food. The fish emulsion by the gallon is super inexpensive just about anywhere.

lol, good, Willd. Thanks for the advice. I will have a look at the local Agway and see what they have when the time comes. The less intervention on my part the better because this is meant to be more about part time fun, then labor intensive. But checking the ph of the soil and using a little organic fertilizer sounds reasonable. A friend in Maine is very serious and grew some very sticky Headband 707 and Ultimate Purple, but wouldn’t want to put in the same daily effort he puts in as a retiree.

1 Like

yes just giving them a little fertilizer like you would any hobby garden is going to yield better results than just watering them or letting nature do it’s thing.
If I hadn’t supplemented last season’s rainfall with additional watering I’d likely have lost my entire crop.
I’m lucky enough to work from home so I can really spend a lot of time caring for them through the entire grow

1 Like

That sounds like a great combination. I was going to use a local Agway in Danvers for germinating supplies. Any thoughts on germinating soil etc. I have yet to purchase seeds but your choices seem good with regard to a time table. This will be my first grow and it is very cool that it is now 100% legal in Mass.

I’m going with fox farm warrior for seedlings, then ocean Forrest when I transplant in 5 pound bags. Just waiting till April to order seeds.

Excellent suggestion, Nunan’s or Agway for Fox Farm Warrior and Ocean Forest?
I looked at the White Widow autoflower and that also seems good for a first grow beginner, and the fact that is a little bit more sativa sounds good to me. April seems like a wise month to start. We can still get snow in May so planting outdoors in June makes sense.

1 Like

There is a place in Ipswich I might check out for the soil. I will see who is cheaper. And about the snow, there is another nor-easta coming our way.

I used to live in Ipswich and that garden center on 133 always seemed nice. Snow coming means we will just have to be wise and wait, I can remember 1979 had 5 inches on May 15. I have also seen that they have Durban Poison seeds described as an easy grow but not a feminized seed. I will let you know about the Agway in Danvers for Fox Farm Warrior and Ocean Forest prices because that store is very close by.

Ty, that would be great.

I’m in Danvers too! What are the laws about growing outdoors in ma?

A fence with a lock to surround your grow…a small world Melissa. Still way to cold to plant even tomatoes around here. So waiting until Memorial Day will make sense.

I grew Sour Diesel & Trainwreck. It started molding so I harvested a week early. Still got some good smoke. Quite a bit of rain in the south shore.

1 Like