What is the best way to test your soil?

Ive heard talk of people sending in samples of their soil to testing facilities. Is this really necessary? What are ways, you in the community of growers, test soil, if at all? Thank you very much abd have a great day.

If I need to know PH or anything that’s going on down there I usually water to runoff and test that way. Not sure if that’s what your asking though

1 Like

Thanks Davyg it’s just a bit more complex cuz I’m growing in 4ft of soil and I have zero flush water at this time. Also I’m thinking more along the lines of “nutrient content” microbe content/lack thereof

1 Like

Outside ground soil?
Potting soil premade like Fox Farms Ocean Forrest?
You looking for just PH of the soil or what nutrients and at what amounts are in the soil?
I’ve never sent soil samples away to be tested.
If I want to test PH of soil I will either use my soil PH probe ($70 one) or I’ll take sample scoops from different areas and depths of soil put it in a small container and add RO or distilled water to it in about equal parts soil/water and stir it up well and let it settle for 30 min or so and check using a liquid PH meter.

2 Likes

Interesting food for thought @Skydiver. Btw are you really a skydiver?

I have a 100-250x Carson mini microscope and I’ve checked the teas I’ve brewed for critters but never checked my soil but I guess that’s possible

2 Likes

Really?? Ever see anything in the tea?

Yep I am a skydiver…

2 Likes

Tight bro. I wanna go this year

Pic I took awhile back on my first grow…
I use this

Not very good for checking Trichomes but great for pond water or tea etc.

If you go skydiving…warning it’s addictive…but it’s freakin awesome

2 Likes

Thanks man!!

I believe you can send soil samples to a couple labs. One in WA another in OR. They‘ll break it down with n-p-k ratios and a few other things for $25±

1 Like

I spent an entire summer jumping. Hit 62, but wanted more. Had a line over on my 7th (qualifying) jump. Was obviously solo, had to cut away. The jump master kept asking me if I was going to jump again…hell yeah. That reserve cost me an expensive bottle of scotch.

2 Likes

Did you pack your own main?
If not I would a talked to the dam packer lol

Line overs usually caused by a packing error…unless your body position was totally whack when you deployed

1 Like

It was only my 7th jump, I hadn’t started packing. The new girl packed it. Man, the look on her face when I landed…

I had a lot of people asking me what it was like to cut away… apparently it’s rare :rofl::joy::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

contact your local agricultural extension. They will provide info on soil sampling in your area. Farmers use these services regularly. Once you know the composition and mineral make up you can ammend whats lacking. They will provide the NPK and micro nutrient profile as well as composition and may provide an ammendment prescription.

1 Like

Like @Cannabian says, ag offices usually associated with college and universities, or county offices. I have not used them so unsure as to the process. Of course there are soil test kits you can purchase. As to how accurate and reliable they are probably falls under the adage You Get What You Pay. If you just want to know PH and PPM / TDS research soil slurry test. I run them when i put my soil blend together so I know going in what the base readings are. Now that I thinking about it, I should run one on the root ball of a plant I recently harvested.

2 Likes