What is soil? Too many recipes to choose from

There are lots of great recipes for soil out there. Rather than trying out a bunch of expensive recipes I decided to learn about the basics of soil. In culinary school we were taught concepts and techniques rather than a bunch of recipes. I’ve always added some compost to my native clay soil and some sand to break it up. I guess I didn’t know what I was doing but I knew how to do it. Learning gardening fundamentals is very important for success. There are countless books on Amazon.
Here are some other relevant topics.
Container gardening, drying and storing culinary herbs, drying flowers for potpourri, square foot gardening, Companion planting, Garden pests and helpers.
Once I re-learn the basics, I’ll know what recipes to go with and why.

2 Likes

Learning with ya growmie :man_farmer:. Veg gardening taught me soil condition like drainage vs water retention and texture might be highest importance. Not glamorous or interesting so isn’t talked about as much as nutes and pH

1 Like

Are you planning on an organic grow :love_you_gesture:

It’s hard for me to say if I’m growing truly organic but I don’t plan on using any liquid nutrients.
Outdoors was always just basic clay, silt, sand and compost. I work for a wholesale bait dealer, so I would bring home a bucket or two of “worm dirt” and use it to top dress the garden and containers. I can’t use it for my inside grow because the flies and other critters hatch when the soil warms up.
I admit while watching 45 minutes of principals of mulching I find myself spacing out and have to go back and rewatch.

3 Likes

I grew my first 2 runs in soil then made the switch to coco. I use jacks 321 for nutrients and only have issues when it’s related to something I did. I’ve never built soil but know there are several options out there for living soil and dry organic amendments good luck with your research and tag me if you decide to go coco and salt based nutrients :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

yeah good enough for me to call organic. The food for the plant is organic matter supplied by living things. Instead of nutes suspended in an inert media. Fits my idea of natural or organic or living soil.

Keep the blog going and we’ll learn from your venture

I found out a lot of truths about soil and organic vrs. synthetic nutrients. I looked at several sources and found out that they are essentially the same. Organic fertilizers will take a lot longer to become available to your plants. Sometimes years. The nitrogen molecule in kelp meal, bone meal, worm castings and the like are all identical. I know, I’m uncomfortable when I learn that something I always believed is not quite right. Garden Fundamentals is a very informative channel. Some great topics> organic fertilizer myths, re using potting soil, compost teas and sand silt and clay. Cannabis is just a plant. There is no magical nutrient organic or synthetic.

It’s my OCD or ADD kicking in. I have no outside garden to tend to, to keep my mind off my current grow. The ladies have my full attention.

Just found her on my Bruce Banner. Lady bug good.
There are tiny centipedes and red wigglers in the soil too. I topped off a few of my sterile store-bought soil mix and amendments with soil from my tomato containers outside. It’s only the one tent and the plants look healthy. Not crazy about bugs in the house though.

1 Like

Life indoors eh haha when it works it works really good.
I got many safety certs… one character, a teacher I kept running into was a ‘retired’ salesperson from unowho now teaching pesticide safety, applicator programs and all that. He set the record straight about a well known herbicide. Watch out for people like that

Check to see what you have for sure!!! @Gooch99

3 Likes

3 Likes

I think you have a bad one @Gooch99

Yikes! I found her on my hibiscus plant that I brought into the grow room. Squashed the invasive species. Only one but I’ll keep watch. Who had fun squashing spotted lantern flies all summer?

1 Like