šŸ˜¬what is happening to my girl? Deficiencies?help plz?

Hi,

Iā€™ve got some interesting things happening.
Dark brown spots on new growth, light brown spots and then some.

Strain -Devils Tear
Outdoor grow
Grow medium- Gaia green living soil.
Not using any nutrients yet as the living soil is said by the GAO green to feed the plants for up to two months. I transplanted to the living souls just over 2.5 weeks ago.

I will post a bunch of picks.
I will say I transplanted a well rooted plant to the living soil and went from a 400w straight into sun. Bad move I know now. :grimacing:she just looked so happy in the sun reaching for the sky. I hadnā€™t done indoor to outdoor in years so thatā€™s a lesson.
That created massive transplant shock and a bunch of leaves started going white. I figure that was due to the sun hitting the plant and no nutrients to pull from as itā€™s a living soil mix and roots hadnā€™t been able to start due to me throwing her in the sun immediately. Was told not to fertilize at all as thatā€™s what the living soil was for and really easy to over feed.
She did come back really really strong, gave a B1 super max foliar spray to help ease the stress a week ago. Have had massive growth over the last week, color of leaves etc were back to normal and looking grrrrreat.
Then I woke up today to the brown spots and curling etc. what to do?
I havenā€™t pruned the leaves that went white and now yellow from transplant shock so you will see them in the pic as well. Also, Should I prune all the discolored and sick leaves or is it to much stress?
Iā€™m due to water today so wanted to see if I should add anything to the water to help with this situation or just straight water?

Thanks so much in advance for reading and assisting :grin: any help would be greatly

appreciated!

1 Like

Are you spraying them with neem or other anti pest? Those brown spots look suspicious as does the caterpillar.

She looks a little mag deficient, but perhaps the roots havenā€™t hit the good soil yet.

The light brown ā€œburnsā€ look like sun spots from foliar feeding in full light.

What type of water are you using?

5 Likes

You are showing an N deficiency. Likely others too. Not knowing the composition of the soil, the water, or the PH in makes it difficult to help. That caterpillar alone is good for destroying one entire cola. If you arenā€™t treating for pests you will likely lose part or all of your crop.

I use a combination of 3% peroxide, sprayed on straight and allowed to sit for 48 hours. Followed by either ā€œSaferā€ spray (BtK) or Captain Jackā€™s Deadbug (Spinosad). Wait 5 days then repeat. This should be done throughout the grow. Can be used right up to harvest. Neem oil will ruin your flower.

If your soil PH is out of range for cannabis (do a slurry test) then the plant will be unable to uptake any mobile nutrients.

1 Like

Was actually just going to spray some neem oil to treat the bugs later tonight. Thank you for confirming that.
She grew about half a foot in the last week as well as tons of new nodes and filling so I figured she was starting to root in the new dirt well. That being said I didnā€™t do a good feed before transplanting just water so she might have been a little hungry going into the transplant then transplant shock and bugs.
I havenā€™t foliar deeded in the sunlight though. Only at night.

Water is remineralized RO that is alkalized and UV filtered.

Do you recommend feeding some mag to her? If so should I do foliar feed or with watering?

I added a pic of what the soil is composed of.

My Ph going into the soil is 6 but havenā€™t done a run off check yet. Itā€™s a 25 gallon pot and with being a new transplant and giving her transplant shock I was nervous to soak her thru being the roots hadnā€™t started to grow yet. But now that she has been growing well for a week I guess I could, although Iā€™m not sure I can lift the plant to get run off. Sheā€™s heavy with the dirt. Lol

How can I treat the N and or other deficiency being that Iā€™m using living soil and it says not to feed?

Can I use been until I go into flower stage in a couple months then switch to what you mentioned above?

1 Like

And wanted to say this next pic from above of the whiteish yellow leaf was from the beginning when she had transplant shock. All growth there after was beautiful green no blemishes until I saw the brown spots today.

Iā€™d try a little magnesium sulphate. (Epsom salt). Iā€™m not 100% certain itā€™s compatible with a living soil though. @garrigan62 ?

Do I just add to water for feeding and let it dissolve then water? And at what ratio salt to water?

Just do a slurry test: take 1/4 cup of your soil (take a sample down a couple of inches) and mix with DISTILLED water. Let stand for 10 minutes and check the PH. Thatā€™s your soilā€™s native state. Hopefully it will be between say 5.8 and 6.8. Definite N deficiency.

I think you did fine on the soil BTW. The only issue will be the PH.

2 Likes

I had some yellowing like you did earlier and thought it was probably N deficiency. I am the same way not wanting to stress tranplanted seedlings with too much nutrients. However, I dilute the N rich foo like 10x less than the direction of my orchid feed and water it, the plants recovered very nicely. I normally use bloodmeal and bonemeal to prepare the soil before transplanting plus worm casting and compost I make. Blood meal gives N and bonemeal has K & P. Thereā€™s stuff you can water to help with transplant shock like kelp, fish emulsion and Vitamin B

As precaution to prevent bugs to set in, I also make organic spray, you can check it out here Safe, effective, organic homemade pesticides - #3 by Ning.
I would spray before even seeing any bug as garlic & chili deter them and I spray my plants ane veggies with it at least once a week, if Iā€™m lazy.

What you have going on here is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>ā€¦CALCIUM DEFiICIENCY Here is a picā€¦

th

calciun%20D

calcium deficiency

Cannabis Calcium Deficiency

Problem: Calcium is an important nutrient which helps provide structure to the cannabis plant and helps it withstand stress like from heat.

A cannabis calcium deficiency can sometimes be difficult to diagnose since calcium deficiencies are often accompanied by magnesium, iron, and/or other cannabis deficiencies.

Learn more about the relationship between calcium and other cannabis nutrient deficiencies

Calcium moves relatively slowly through the plant (it is a semi-mobile nutrient), which means it tends to ā€œstay putā€ after itā€™s been given to a leaf. It tends to show up on leaves that are actively growing and getting some amount of light.

Calcium deficiencies most often show up in the following places:
Newer growth (upper leaves)
Parts of fan leaves that have been exposed to the light

Found near the top of the plant under the light

Picture of a calcium deficiency on a cannabis leaf - white background so you can clearly see the brown spots - calcium deficiencies appear on the upper leaves (new growth)

This lower fan leaf is mostly in the shade, but the calcium defciency appears near the edges that are getting light. Calcium deficiencies often show up on parts of the leaf that are still actively growing.

A calcium deficiency can appear on new growth as well as the actively growing part of a cannabis leaf like this lower fan leaf

Calcium Deficiencies Appear on New or Actively Growing Leaves

Calcium deficiencies tend to appear on newer or growing leaves, which means calcium deficiencies first appear on leaves where thereā€™s rapid vegetative growth.

Some of the most noticeable signs of a calcium deficiency will appear on newer or growing leaves which may display:
Dead spots
Crinkling
Spotting / Mottling
Small brown spots
Stunted growth
Small or distorted new leaves
Curled tips
Leaf die-off
Affected leaves may appear dark green besides the spots

Hereā€™s a close-up of a calcium deficiency that appeared on leaves towards the top of a cannabis plant grown in coco coir:

Marijuana Calcium Deficiency - Closeup of brown spots which first appear on young (upper) leaves

Other Symptoms of Calcium Cannabis Deficiency

If a cannabis plant is affected by a calcium deficiency for too long, it may begin to show the following symptoms due to the lack of calcium.
Stems become weak or flimsy and may crack easily
Stems become hollow or show inner signs of decay
Plant does not stand up well to heat
Flowers/buds do not develop fully, or development is slow
Roots appear weak or under-developed
In severe calcium deficiencies, parts of roots may even die off or turn brown
Roots are more susceptible to root problems like slimy root rot

Cannabis tends to like high levels of calcium, so it is unusual to feed too much calcium when using normal amounts of nutrients and/or regular soil. There are not many known cases of cannabis calcium toxicity (too much calcium), however too much calcium can cause the plant to lock out other nutrients, so itā€™s important not to go overboardā€¦

Calcium deficiencies are more likely to appear whenā€¦
Grower is using filtered or reverse osmisis (RO) water to feed plants ā€“ the amount of calcium found in tap water varies, but some tap water has enough calcium to prevent calcium deficiencies
Growing cannabis in hydroponics with nutrients that donā€™t supplement calcium or when growing in water that has less than 6.2 pH
Growing cannabis in coco coir that hasnā€™t been supplemented with calcium or below 6.2 pH
When growing in soil or soilless growing medium that hasnā€™t been supplemented with calcium (usually from dolomite lime) or is acidic (below 6.2 pH)
Too much potassium can also sometimes cause the appearance of a calcium deficiency
Outdoors ā€“ calcium deficiency is more likely to appear in acidic soil (below 6.2 pH)

Cannabis Calcium Deficiency - Brown spots on young (upper) leaves

Different strains of cannabis tend to have different nutrient problems. Some cannabis strains (or even specific plants) tend to use much higher levels of calcium than others, and so you may see calcium deficiency problems with one plant even when all the other plants (which are getting the same nutrients and environment) arenā€™t showing any signs of deficiency.

Solution For Calcium Deficiency in Cannabis

Your cannabis plant may show signs of a calcium deficiency if the pH at the roots is too high or too low. That is because when the pH of your root zone is off, your cannabis cannot properly absorb calcium through its roots. Therefore the first step is to ensure that you have the correct pH for your growth medium. Learn more about pH and cannabis.

Please note: After a calcium deficiency is cleared up, the problem (brown spots and unhealthy new leaves) will stop appearing on new growth, usually within a week. Please note that leaves which have been damaged by a calcium deficiency will probably not recover or turn green, so you want to pay attention to new growth for signs of recovery.
In soil, calcium is best absorbed by the roots in the 6.2 ā€“ 7.0 pH range (in soil, itā€™s generally recommended to keep the pH between 6.0 ā€“ 7.0, but calcium specifically tends to be best absorbed above 6.2)

In hydro, calcium is best absorbed by the roots in the 6.2 ā€“ 6.5 pH range (in hydro, itā€™s generally recommended to keep the pH between 5.5 ā€“ 6.5, but calcium specifically tends to be best absorbed above 6.2)

If you suspect your growing cannabis plant has a calcium deficiency, flush your system with clean, pHā€™d water that contains a regular dose of cannabis-friendly nutrients that includes calcium. This will remove any nutrient salts that may be affected the uptake of calcium and help restore pH to the proper levelsā€¦

To supplement with extra Calciumā€¦ (itā€™s very rare to give a cannabis plant too much calcium, however, too much calcium can lock out other nutrients so donā€™t go overboard)

Calcium, magnesium, and iron deficiencies often appear together in cannabis. Many growers decide to purchase some sort of Calcium-Magnesium (often called Cal-Mag) supplement for their grow room in case this common deficiency appears.

Listed below are common cannabis Calcium supplements, along below with some general information about each one. After supplementing with Cal Mag and correcting the pH, you should expect to see new healthy growth within a week. Remember, the old leaves will probably not recover, but new growth should be green and healthy.

Cal-Mag is Well Suited For Hydro, Coco Coir, or Soil

Botanicare Cal-Mag Plus is a calcium, magnesium, and iron plant nutrient supplement. General application is to mix 1 tsp (5ml) of Cal-Mag into each gallon of water. I have used Cal-Mag Plus several times with great results.

Guaranteed Analysis: Nitrogen (N) 2.0%, Calcium (Ca) 3.2%, Magnesium (Mg) 1.2%, Iron (Fe) 0.1%

Derived from: Calcium Nitrate, Magnesium Nitrate, Iron EDTA

Dolomite Lime ā€“ For Soil Growers (Organic)

If youā€™re looking for a way to supplement calcium in your organic or soil setup, I highly recommend a product called ā€œDolomite Lime.ā€

Dolomite is a good source of calcium and magnesium and can be mixed with your soil. The great thing about dolomite is it works slowly over the course of a few months.

Dolomite has a neutral pH of about 7.0 and will help keep soil at the correct neutral pH range which is optimum for cannabis growth.

You can buy Dolomite Lime online, but with shipping itā€™s almost always waaaay cheaper to pick up a bag at a home improvement or gardening store such as Lowes, Home Depot, gardening centers, etc. If possible, try to get a finer grade of dolomite compared to something that is more coarse.

How to Use Dolomite Lime for Cannabis: When growing cannabis indoors, add 6-7 teaspoons of fine dolomite lime to each gallonā€™s worth of soil. So if youā€™re mixing enough soil to fill a 5 gallon container, you want to add 30-35 teaspoons (about 2/3 cup) of dolomite lime to the mix. Mix the dolomite lime and the dry soil thoroughly, then lightly water it with water that has been pHā€™ed to 6.5. After getting the soil wet, mix the soil well and wait a day or two to let the soil settle before checking the pH and adding plants. When growing in an outdoor garden, follow the dolomite lime manufacturers instructions.

If you cannot get rid of your calcium deficiency, please consult our 7-Step Cure to 99% of Cannabis Growing Problems

Leaf Color
Brown or Dark Spots
Mottling / Mosaic Pattern

Leaf Symptoms
Abnormal Growth
Leaf Edges Appear Burnt
Leaf Tips Appear Burnt
Leaf Tips Die
Mottling / Mosaic
Slow Growth
Spots
Twisted Growth
Upper Leaves / Newer Growth Affected
Yellowing Between Veins

Other Symptoms
Buds Not Fattening

Plant Symptoms
Slow Growth
Twisted Growth
Weak Stems

Root Symptoms
Brown
Slow Growing

4 Likes

Hello, HELP!!

Want to confirm if this is calcium def. chocolop auto in soil, home tent. Week 6 in flower water 6.3-6.8 flora bloom nutrients, Calmag and molasses only fed molasses with water twice past two weeks.