What is eating my plants?

Hi,
I’m new here, and I hope I’m doing this right bc I’ve spent a whole month trying to post here!! I fixed my nute issue myself but now I’ve got these perfectly healthy, beautiful, fast growing girls and I see something is eating the NEW GROWTH that I’ve been getting from topping!! I’m so mad!!

Anyway, I grow outside in a small greenhouse, and I have seen a couple of moths flying around the LED lights at night, could that be what is eating them?? I see no pests, caterpillars, crickets, grasshoppers, snails, slugs, etc, so if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it!! See pics:

1 Like

I am not sure what pest but a lot of people here swear by Capt.Jacks for any pests.

1 Like

Is that where you topped the plant? Those leaves never grow back right.

1 Like

Are there aphids? I had never seen one before and when a friend got ladybugs to help them get rid of the aphids i was suprised. They leave a glistening on the leaves. Ladybugs had a feasting for a couple days. I say get :lady_beetle:

1 Like

Not aphids - they suck nector but do not chomp entire plants

@Okcowgrrl My guess would be caterpillars (more than likely) or grasshoppers (less likely but still possible) something like that. Take a good look for adults that might still be on the underside of the leaves.

1 Like

As @forcedinduction asked …looks like what I have when I FIM the top…

1 Like

The leaves I have topped already came back great. These were looking perfect then when I looked at them yesterday they were not perfect anymore! They look chewed on to me. But that’s why I posted the question here bc I’m just not sure.

And now I have noticed these streaks in the leaves, not sure if it could be a slug trail or whatever the pest is that goes into the leaves and leaves a trail. I hope it’s neither and it’s from the banana tea I used with water 5:1 and sprayed the leaves with yesterday because that supposedly keeps a lot of pests away. I’ll use vinegar and Dawn soap diluted with water if this doesn’t stop.

No I’m not seeing aphids, I’ve had those before and they’re super easy to kill with just a spraying of the top and underside of the leaves and basically the entire plant with diluted Dawn dish soap. But thank you!

Ahhh that’s a great find. That’ll be a leaf miner - lots of different ways to control - a capt jacks or another foliar application would be where I start :+1:

Ok thank you! I knew I’d seen somewhere that there was a pest that left lines like that bc they’re actually IN the leaf!! I don’t see them now that I put the banana tea I made on them as a foliar spray. And, I topped the leaves that looked crazy that had been eaten down and now they’re coming back looking good again and I don’t see any new “chomp” marks! Thanks y’all! :blush:

1 Like