What is a typical Gram per Watt harvest?

All I’m really saying is that I would like to see some considerations going to the time and costs of the different growing methods.

Let’s assume that plant count isn’t an issue and you have the 1 2x2 space with a strain that flowers in exactly 9 weeks from flip… you start 4 seeds a week or two prior to harvest, then veg for 4 weeks and flip. What do these 4 plants with minimal training yield as opposed to 1 plant vegged 8 weeks? How significant is the fact that you can do this 4 times a year instead of 3 times a year with an 8 week veg?

Some people are happy enough to grow weed. Others want to be extremely good at it. I don’t believe that substituting veg time to inflate something like grams per watt is any different than throwing money at equipment and not using it properly. 56 days of veg on 18 hours a day with 150 watt light is 151,200 watt hours. In my scenario you can cut that in half and probably yield similar numbers. Even if you miss, you still get additional harvest to fall back on. Plus there are fringe benefits like adding to variety, and protecting yourself from having all your time into one plant. Time is always money though. Time when you’re not flowering is even more money lol.

If you simply want a high gram per watt ratio, run an autos with an underpowered light on 18 hours a day through flowering. The extra light on time will still allow you to hit recommended dli without the penalty of claiming “watts” to get it.

4 Likes

well put.

I think the best way to calculate how good a certain strain yields is by measuring total yield per year.

For example I have a Royal Cheese I can harvest every 7weeks of 52 a year has. If I do veg separately I can harvest it every 7 weeks and that means I can harvest 7 times a year if I get the cycle right. And then there are strains that need 11 or 12 weeks… you get 3 or 4 harvests a year. Who do you think yields more per year…

2 Likes

Similar to @dbrn32 thinking grams per watt is also deceiving from the standpoint of quality vs quantity. I’d take 4oz of 24% thc over 8oz of 16%.

3 Likes

You would? I don’t know that I would go that far. High thc content is not something I seek. You have a good terpene profile and 16-20% thc will knock your socks off. Even if you had to take an extra hit or two to get high, the 8oz will still go further than the 4.

I’m actually anti high thc strains. The desire to keep upping thc content is destroying terpene profiles of landrace and classic strains.

6 Likes

Not to mention it totally ruins smoking a joint. 2 hits in and you’re blasted? That’s no fun.

I feel the same way about edibles. Sure I can make a 1” cookie that’ll knock you out for 4 hours, but I know that’s not what I want in an edible. I’d rather enjoy something delicious that will make me feel good for a couple hours and not turn me into a puddle.

7 Likes

I’m a “to the roof Batman” smoker as my wife likes to say.

3 Likes

I had a 275 watt light that produced 184 grams dry.

@Drinkslinger The reason I smoke is so I can fall asleep. I take almost 40 pills a day due to my injuries in the Army. I’d rather have a body high than a complete mind beep.

Once in awhile I don’t mind having a mind high but that isn’t my goal. My Dcotors at the VA Hsopital have no clue how I am still walking and my 3 main Doctors support me smoking the ganja for pain management, insomnia and PTSD.

2 Likes

This quote is from a couple of weeks ago…
I built these frames to make trimming, inspecting and watering easier in my 8 X 8 grow spaces.

The top frame is adjustable and there are five casters to make them easy to roll around and rotate. The two plants in the middle are on the same base but no frame due to space constraints.

Each of my 8 X 8 flower spaces have four w/SCROG frames and two without the frames. All have casters and a grate to support the plant above the catch tray.
The bases are 22" square to accommodate 10 gallon fabric pots with 20" drip trays. The frames are 36" across.

None of the PVC pipe joints are glued allowing for easy tear down for storage and harvest. I must remove the entire frame and bind the plant to get them out of the grow room as the frames are wider than the door opening.

8 Likes

So True!!! What’s fun about 1-2 hits and I’m blasted for hours. At that point who cares how it tastes and smokes, right? I miss the days of rolling one up or packing the friends are over bowl and sitting with friends and burning one. The Mexican weed in the 80’s and 90’s from what I’ve read was around 5% give or take( I surely got plenty that was less than 5%! Lol) , and you could enjoy the smoke. I’m actually looking for a less thc sativa dominant strain to grow next for these reasons. Only down fall is the long seed to harvest time on sativa.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I look for. Every pot have own scrog. Omg. I must work quickly now. Can there be other options? Maybe I can’t get my hands all stuff. How big pots you have?
More pic please :grin:

1 Like