What Happened? We were killing it

Interesting experience with one of my girls. We are in the back end of week 5 (7 weeks from flip to 12/12). The seed was a freebie of some super silver haze photoperiods. I’m in coco using 3 gal pots n using Jack’s 321. In veg we were killing it. I thought this would be my biggest yielder. Defoliated, waited a week the flipped her. She responded well. PH between 5.9 and 6.3 ppm in at about 680 coming out around 700 (I cut back from 1200 ppm because she started showing signs of N toxicity). Then for some reason she just seems to have stalled. Here’s some pics.

Obviously we cant compare apples to oranges but my laughing buddha is the same age, same nutrient scenario and here are some shots of her

Trichs on the first girl are 80% cloudy on the top and maybe 70% cloudy on the lowers. I’m literally scratching my head because if she doesnt pack on some significant weight in the next two weeks this might be a quarter zip dry which for me I’d rather just chop and make Eddie’s since I’m going to run a DWC when I get the space. Any thoughts cuz she’s ripening quickly. I was expecting fresh pistils to push out but man…new one for me. Also they’re under the ES180 v2 so def a decent light source.

3 Likes

Not sure, but following to see what other say about it.

What light are you using ?

Electric sky 180 v2

@TheAlchemist you have in my opinion a top 5 light so that is not the problem unless it’s not close enough but my guess is that it is just going to be a slow developing plant and I think cutting it now would be a huge mistake. Just be patient think of plants like people they just don’t grow all the same. I can’t tell from your pics if it is sitting as high as the other ones if the top is not as high put it up on an old pot or something so it is and give her time I’ve flowered plants for 15 weeks before they get ripe

4 Likes

Yeah the light is 20 inches from the top of the canopy because I was expecting some development to bulk up to around 18 inches. I just never experienced trichs going from clear to cloudy this early and in like a weeks time. If she starts running amber would you just ride it to the end still reaching for the yield?

1 Like

This could be some kind of mutant or it’s something in it’s genetics I can’t tell you why plants do weird shit. I had a plant a couple grows back that stay under 20 inches tall without being topped at all it was staying small so I put it up on a milk create to get it up with the others and let it grow I’d have to look back in my log on weight but here’s a pic of it remember it was never topped. So obviously I would keep it you will never get another seed to catch up with the other plants anyway so unless you can benefit from having the space I would keep it. As for the trichomes turning on it so soon is it the ones on the buds or just the ones on the leaves the leaves will turn sooner and you can’t use them to tell ripeness

The day I switched to flower

Mini wasn’t ready yet but kept getting 3 or 4 bananas every couple days

1 Like

It’s on the buds. I’ve looked with a mini microscope then took shots with a macro lens to look because I thought I was tripping. No lie, she never even really replaced the leaves I stripped before flipping to flower. She’s super frosty and smells great I’m just like damn. I’ve been questioning if some yields I have been getting have been related to the integrity of the genetics but theres really no way to know that for sure I guess except running different phenos. Looking forward to running some sour diesel and bubble gum from ILGM so if she’s gonna stay like this I’d def rather her go and start building my DWC setup for the reset. @merlin44 you’ve had some decent exposure to super silver, ever seen anything like this?

1 Like

Wow I somehow missed it was a Haze I’ve had one of them that just never would amber at all it’s been a long time ago I’m having trouble remembering what strain exactly but purple haze came to mind first but that could be the hendrix acid coming back lol I do remember it being a haze. Anyways I was something like 15 weeks into flower and it started to make tons of bananas but not a amber in sight. I’m wondering if others have had problems with the haze strain doing weird ripening things I only remember the one time so could just be coincidence :thinking:

1 Like

I mean its not an ILGM bred strain which, from what I have seen shows some pretty consistent bud structure and yield. Whenever I get freebies I’m always like, is this REALLY super silver haze lol. But there’s no doubt that these leaves have a silver tint to them and it has that kind of spicy frankincense profile. Beautiful looking plant. Like honestly I was thrilled to get some macro shots of it late but with the lack of development I’m already over this grow lol. She’s sitting beside a Black Dog OG that’s gonna come along ok and the laughing buddha, so I’m not pressed for the flower just really on the fence about tending further to her using notes etc. I keep looking at her like dang you were so pretty :sob:

3 Likes

I’m not surprised at all. Freebie seeds imo are hit or miss with mostly misses. Every once in a while I’ll read where a freebie came out spectacular but usually their just meh. You still have time to bulk up though.

Likely it’s genetics: a bad pheno.

The other potential problem is developing a canopy larger than the root mass can support. Not saying that’s the case as I have no idea.

Would recommend you hold off on this until around day 21 of flower (NOT the flip!) and again at about 6 weeks. Concentrate on large fans and strip lower third of plant of all plant material.

You are still showing some pistils and it’s possible the plant has paused, which many plants do. I think I’d bump the Jack’s up to at least 900 or so. I’m running Jack’s with silica and base water of 130 ppm comes out to 1,150 ppm and plants are happy with that.

2 Likes

@TheAlchemist I do defoliate my plants right before I switch them to flower I feel it allows maximum light penitration for faster flower development. I used to defol a week before but I noticed that doing it a week ahead by the time I switched I could barely tell I had done it so I started doing it closer and closer till now I am doing a defol the day before and then again 3-4 weeks later after that their pretty much done making leaves (so anything I think maybe I shouldn’t I don’t because I can always take it off later can’t ever put one back) and I leave enough to go to harvest taking only yellow or anything I can’t tuck or bend out of the way But now I’m seeing guys completely stripping every leaf right before harvest and getting a little fattening of their buds so I’m gonna start playing with this idea to see what happens for me. It wasn’t long ago that defoliation was very controversial now almost everyone is doing it. But it is like most things to do with growing a personal preference on when and how much to take off and you’ll soon enough find what works best for you and it might be different from everyone else Good luck :deciduous_tree: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Heard on all the above. Hopefully I can push her to 900. This is my second time running with Jack’s in coco and with my autos I they seemed to like 311 all the way through (they also began showing tip burn) Have you had any issues with the cal nit quantity in flower? My rH is around 47-55%

1 Like

I did run MKP for 3 weeks and see various reactions from the different strains I’m currently running but no real issues in flower with the 3,2,1.

2 Likes

Kind of my attitude towards “freebies”… they are free for a reason. Never had Wow grows out of freebies. Usually hermie or don’t germinate lol

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 are you doing a journal now? If so, will you tag me in?

I ran a purple kush and a purple haze last grow and had some problems with nitrate.
Need to add, I also was running Jacks a little different because I was trying something but messed up the formula so I screwed up.

This grow I’ve been running at 75% just to see if it would eliminate the curling of the leaves on the dark green leaves. So far, so good.

1 Like

Would enjoy you tagging along.

2 Likes

Count me in

1 Like

You been getting the N tox with it too huh? The fact that I’m seeing it twice now in coco has me a lil concerned for this DWC try out. My first grow with Jack’s and the autos I had to complete cut out part B until the final 3 weeks before flush to where they responded really nicely to just 1 g per gal. I’m thinking humidity levels may be the culprit.

1 Like