What happened any thoughts

Prepping to replace the Dearly Departed. (RIP little lady)

My survivors in some morning dew (man made of course)

@raustin @merlin44 @Countryboyjvd1971 @highcountrygal @Laurap @Mrcrabs @Happy_Pappy @Hogmaster

5 Likes

Good job my friend, look good.

1 Like

Hey @highcountrygal I was noticing that the soil in my girls pots get pretty dry on the top up to the second knuckle (and I have pretty big hands :nerd_face:) and the bottom of the pot is staying wet. I think the pot is too big at this point. My question is do you think that the fact that the bottom of the pot stays wet will cause root rot. I’m afraid that if I don’t keep the top moist they will develop more problems. Does this make a difference? @merlin44 @Mrcrabs @raustin @Hogmaster @Happy_Pappy

1 Like

Yes, it makes a difference! You don’t want the bottom of the pots to be eternally wet. Don’t be afraid to let the pot dry out, better too dry than too wet. Maybe you need to drill some more holes in the bottom and sides of your pot, that will help the bottom drain better. You should also consider cloth pots, they dry more uniformly and quickly.

3 Likes

I agree 100% with @raustin, let them dry out. Many folks go by weight to tell when they need water.

2 Likes

Thanks @raustin @merlin44

Found some fabric black bags on eBay 10 for 13.22 close to home thanks again. @raustin @merlin44 @highcountrygal

1 Like

These are the pots I am currently lots of holes still poor drainage. @raustin @merlin44

1 Like

He asked the right man, huh?

1 Like

Im pleasantly surprised to see how well they look! Wishing you nothing less than a peaceful wonderous grow. You deserve it! Bringing back the dead is not an easy feat.

Just checking in, look like these guys and gals got you covered. I haven’t used before but looked like them fabric smart pots are working well for lots of people. Also as others have mentioned drilled holes at the bottom aand sides of the pot wouldn’t hurt. Good luck with your grow.

@smitty87 Good Morning! Try tipping the pot on it’s side so the water will drain out and if the plastic pot has an attached saucer take that off. Sometimes the decorative pots have poor drainage and the saucer doesn’t allow for proper drainage. That usually eliminates the problem quickly.

1 Like

@highcountrygal Good Morning, Tried th tipping and flipping it still stays really wet. Before transplanting I’m going to get out my drill and make swiss cheese out of the pots and see it that helps. When i tip even after three days of no water and water that has stayed in the pot runs out. Not much but I still think it might be an issue. And the bottom soil according to my moisture meter is very wet. Thanks again @raustin @Mrcrabs @Happy_Pappy @Countryboyjvd1971

2 Likes

@smitty87 Another good thing to use with your soil is gypsum (I know, I know everyone) It keeps soil from doing just that and keeps the soil loose and prevents binding up of a big soil lump which retain water with slow drainage. Just a thought.

2 Likes

Thanks, I think I will try the gypsum when I transplant for nor Operation water drain phase 2,

@highcountrygal @raustinn @merlin44 I think unless I have some pretty sneaky water that drains uphill this should help.

3 Likes

Nice! Now @smitty87 what did you use to make holes like that?

I also have what I call my poke stick. I use a metal rod that is about like a straw around and taller than my buckets and every so often I will poke it down into the bucket several times but also I will poke it through the drainage holes to help break up the soil and roots.

1 Like

A small butane torch and a piece of 1/2 inch copper tubing. I transplanted the recovering one and the roots only reached down about 4 inches into the soil. @highcountrygal

2 Likes

I have been doing something similar with the same piece of copper tubing. @highcountrygal

2 Likes

Tried my drill on the recovering one and the pot split and was about to loose the soil. @highcountrygal

2 Likes