What equipment should I get

A question from a fellow grower:

“Hey - I got my last order of NL fem seeds after much effort from yourselves and have been sitting on them until around about a month from now when I would traditionally go to germinate. I have until now germinated on windowsill in peat jiffies at around AFL grand final time which is pre to early spring on the south west coast of Western Australia. Fairly soon after germination I have potted outside and generally harvest around Easter - Mar/Apr. I’m only dealing with 1-2 plants. What I want to change is the windowsill routine and start maybe around semi final time - late winter - and keep them inside in a small grow tent in the shed so that when I pot them they are larger/stronger and the weather is more favourable. Frost can be a risk in early Spring. Height is an issue - both in the germinating space and later in the pot - but I have a short variety in your Northern Lights. I plan only to germinate 2-3 seeds in water as you suggest, place these in peat jiffies and grow those until they root out of the jiffy pots then pot the best 1-2 in a good spot outside amongst the vines. I’m thinking they’ll go outside into pots at around 20-25cm height at the most. In light of all that - and being aware you have alot more experience with this than I - do you think a 60x40x60 tent be ok to get them going prior to potting? I’m thinking of this one: Grow Tent 60x40x60cm silver Mylar Oxford Cloth Indoor Grow Room Tent Kit | eBay What light source and ventilation would you recommend? I have read you recommend CFL lights for germination / early growth but would be very grateful for a recommendation that would fit this tent. I’m not sure of the frequency for the fan and light - do you leave the light on 24hrs? Finally, thanks for your support!”

1 Like

With only running cfls or seed starter lighting you won’t need much air movement at all. I would definitely look into getting the cfl bulbs. I like to use 3 or 4 of the 55w 5000k cfls.

This little fan should be adequate in that tent but I would recommend getting a variable speed controller for it.

VIVOSUN 4 Inch 195 CFM Inline Duct Ventilation Fan Vent Blower for Grow Tent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7S46YZ/?tag=greenrel-20

This fan is a little more expensive but has the speed adjustment built into it

VIVOSUN 4 Inch 190 CFM Inline Duct Ventilation Fan with Variable Speed Controller for Grow Tent Amazon.com

We typically don’t allow links from Ebay as they’re not an approved vendor. I would suggest he/she joins the forum, we have a lot of members that could help with this.

Hey that ebay link was from me - meant only as an example. The original query to support was posted over here by Mitch in ILGM support.

I’d be grateful for some examples of these CFL globes.

I now have new ILGM forum account as user “AlrightMa”. Great resource!!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. I understand that, and Mitch should know that the ebay links aren’t allowed.

Here is an example of a CFL grow light

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Agrobrite-FLCDG125D-Fluorowing-Fluorescent/dp/B001UV6P9I/?tag=greenrel-20

Thanks mate. Appreciate your help and the speed at which you administer!

One question did occur - what is the diff btwn amazon and ebay links?

1 Like

Amazon is an approved vendor and ebay isn’t.

1 Like

OK. Makes sense. We (in Australia) would like to buy more from Amazon but they don’t ship all products to Oz and when they do, the freight charges are generally prohibitive.

Thanks again.

1 Like

That’s fine, you don’t neccesarily have to follow the links to purchase. You can review the link and search for somewhere local to purchase a similar product. If you want to add links for products to the forum we just require them to be from Amazon, dealzer, or aliexpress.

1 Like

T5 for seedlings, metal halide for veg, and hps for flower = best bud, all this new led and other stuff doesnt come close to these 3 main lights other people may have different opinions but heres a few in the warehouse

1 Like

Hahaha…you must not research anything.

This was under LED

2 Likes

I said people will have different opinions and arguments like i said i believe nothing is better than hps for flower and mh for veg best ive used and will never change i tried led grew the same strains under both lights and led just underperformed the mh and hps thats all

Oh and i run 60 gavita pros :grinning::grinning:

What LED light did you run vs the MH and HPS?

Kind LED and some other one

Well there’s why you have a bad taste in your mouth about LED’s. Kind is garbage