What does everyone think about drying in a refrigerator

Hi guys ive been watching alot of videos about drying ur harvest in a refrigerator and people swear by it ,now the question is has anyone done this before and if so how did it turn out give me ur views on the subject at hand

4 Likes

I want to hear this answer because I’m very curious

1 Like

I’m trying the fridge drying with some of my weed. I will have comparison results soon.

6 Likes

Ok sweet let us know how it goes cause for what ive seen and heard its supposed to be better

1 Like

I will let you all know for we are doing this for the 1st time here

4 Likes

Very interesting. I’m intrigued.

2 Likes

Ok you hooked me I’m watching :rofl:

But do you mean as in a fridge for a box? As in not on and running?
Or do you mean in a running fridge that is at a temperature below 40%?

3 Likes

It’s best done in a working frost free fridge. The low temps are nice for preserving terps. Just got to check the buds often so they don’t get too dry. Can also slow down the dry by putting buds in paper bags folded over. If I had an empty working fridge I’d dry in it,

8 Likes

@Dexterado I had read in detail about using Fridge to dry because we have not room or place or closet to use but the fridge we have right downstairs and I cleaned it w/vinegar and water and ran it a few days empty. and I am still playing with the temp but I have it about 55 and the RH about 40%-60% and I also am trying a paper bag drying method with two stalks with heavy buds. in the fridge also

7 Likes

it is exactly want we are doing Thanks all

2 Likes

Can’t wait to hear how it turns out, but could be an easy way to manage the climate perfectly.
I’m intrigued :thinking:

4 Likes

I’m with you pappy and I moved not to long ago and The house I bought had a fridge in it that worked mine being a better one I put it in but I haven’t gotten rid of the other one yet. It’s a big side by side too

1 Like

I don’t got an extra fridge but I can get one if it’s worth doing.

3 Likes

It would be a running fridge

1 Like

I wouldn’t due to moisture buildup. As plants dry, the water evaporates into the air. I could see a problem with mold forming. Just something to think about.

1 Like
1 Like

Ive found a video on YouTube that shows the drying in a refrigerator

That’s why I check every day to be sure. Dry and confident I have been able to take some that are dried and been in the jar curing and I had to try some last night a few days early but I have NEVER smoked a smoother smoke in my life and the high is awesome. This is the 1st seed we bought because of the pain relief and I will say. It lives up to its description Western Grail

1 Like

I felt like a fridge would give you condensation on cold buds? I guess you wouldn’t keep it as cold as you would with food in it though lol :rofl:

1 Like

I’ve dried my last 5 harvest sun my fridge. I’ve post a couple of threads about it. Most of what I’ve posted about it has been my questions in setting up and an issue I ran into when I forgot to raise the temp of the fridge.

I really like doing it this way tho. !

image|375x500

I removed all of the shelves except for the top one from my fridge and used the hardware under the top shelf to make a lattice of strings that hang below it that I can tie buds on to.

I set the fridge to its max temp setting and load it up with buds.

I take the flowers down and put into brown paper grocery bags when the flowers are crispy and stems are hard and woody but before they get so dry that they break off clean when you snap em. I try to get em when they’re at the stage where you snap the stem and it cracks and bends at a steep angle but doesn’t quite want to let go cleanly - like you still gotta fight it some to get it to break.

Grocery bags until they’re totally dry to the point where the stems snap off clean and then it’s all done and into the jars.

The fridge runs it surprisingly low humidity to be good for drying but on average it takes about two weeks for flowers to be dry enough to go into paper bags in my fridge.

You can see from my temperature gauge that my fridge was totally empty leading up to me loading it up late Thursday night. The humidity goes up noticeably. The temp actually goes down because it’s an old fridge and when it needs to work it works harder than it has to. You can also tell that by the way the temp graph is pretty wiggly. A fridge that isn’t 25 years old would be a lot smoother at this but those are pretty minor variations of less than two degrees for the most part.

I do my final trim when I pull them out of the fridge and before I put them into the grocery bags. That’s just me though and I don’t feel like that’s an important part of the order of operations. I’m sure if you decide to do your final trim before you hang them or after they come out of the paper bags it won’t make too much of a difference

4 Likes