What does "Considered an auto flower" mean?

I have an acquaintance that ordered seeds called “Pineapple Express”.
In the description, it reads as follows…

“The yields of this strain are typically high and it is considered an auto-flowering strain. Expect your perfect harvest at around 7 to 8 weeks, or if you are growing outdoors, mid-October”

Does anyone know if this means they WILL flower whenever they feel like it OR
do they still need a 12/12 light and dark period. How do I explain how to send these
into flower to a new grower? Will they behave like regular Fem plants? Are these for
a more advance grower? (I’m just glad they ain’t my seeds).

I wanted him to order from ILGM but he said the prices were too high.
If anyone has any knowledge about this please feel free to drop it below.

@Covertgrower @dbrn32 @monkman @Hellraiser @arborist

1 Like

Yes this means they’ll flower when they feel like it. Unless the auto flowering gene is recessive, then you’ll need to assist it by changing to 12/12.

Autoflowers in my opinion are for more experienced growers because you need to know the stages of flowering, and when to add nutrients at what stage.

5 Likes

Thanks. I sincerely appreciate it greatly.
I don’t want to be held responsible for a failed grow because I’m lost on auto’s.
Looks like he’s on his own for this batch.

I’ve never bought any Auto’s because I like controlling when and how big the plant
will be when I change light hours.

5 Likes

You’re not alone in that view.

3 Likes

Sounds like your friend bought auto seeds.

As long as he dont drown it at the statt he will be ok. Usually autos start to flower 28 to 35 daysish some earlier some layer some need the 12 12 boost to het it going. If he can grow an auto he can grow a photo better

I just copped some gdp autos from ilgm today now the wait lol

This doesn’t make any sense to me. Most photo plants finish around mid October here.

3 Likes

So they’re saying it’s either an auto or its a photo makes sense to me.

There are some strange genetic things that have happened to plants since weve started crossing. There are feral plants that we call autos that flower almost as soon as they are a foot tall, many of these are from Russia. Then there are plants closer to the equator that have early flower tendancies, and are more like a semi auto, meaning genetically light still plays a roll but flower time may begin much earlier than say an Afghani plant, Lebanese is famous for that.
Now there is a thai cross plant that flowers in 6 to 8 weeks but takes 16 weeks to ripen bud!
I think with all this crossing out we can expect to see unexpected results, and in some cases undesirable.

3 Likes

But isn’t the unknown what makes the process of experimentation exciting?

2 Likes

I thought the same thing when reading it.
How can you estimate a flowering timeline
when the number of weeks in a growing season
don’t match the harvesting estimation. The math
don’t add up.

Regardless, I’m glad they ain’t mine.
This is just some guy I hung out with a few times
30 years ago as a teenager from the neighborhood. Ran into him at a head shop and
he told me he’s trying to grow. I hinted that grew a few plants in the past. Asked about some seed bank I never heard of called ‘Queen something’. I told him about ILGM but he went with ‘Premier or prestige or prime seed’ something.

I’m not remotely interested in helping this dude out. I’m focused on growing and the current chaos in the country. Building up ammo stash, prepped food stores, getting rid of all my cash and buying hard assets that have tangible intrinsic value.

Sorry for the rambling.

I sincerely appreciated the information. Now I know what to look out for. Actually, scratch that. I’ll never need that information because I’m only buying from ILGM. Easy enough.

3 Likes

I don’t think this is genetics as much as it is environment. The plants start to flower as soon as they mature because of the short amount of daylight time near equator. Have you grown equatorial landrace? They seem capable of holding in veg if light schedule warrants. Which would contradict they flower quickly because of their genetic programming. To me, there is nothing “semi-auto” about that.

If you ask growers that grow indoors on straight 12 hour schedule, they will probably tell you everything they grow flowers within 6-8 weeks or less. I’ve never seen anything that wouldn’t. Too much crossing up outdoor and indoor growing techniques and tendencies here to suggest these are genetic traits and not differences in environmental conditions.

I don’t feel that answers question as to why you would expect indoor harvest in 7-8 weeks or outdoor harvest in mid October. If op copied that word for word seems like to vague of description.

3 Likes

It was a copy/ paste from the place he ordered from.

1 Like

I agree. Even photos planted outside in South Texas they finish around October outside.

1 Like

Yes I agree and no genetics can play a role in how plants respond to light… I guess what Im saying is that ruderalis is not a drug strain, it is a feral plant that is forced to flower early to ensure the continuation of its genes. That plant is not light dependent, it will flower within a few weeks of seeing sun. When we cross ruderalis with a long period photo plant you can expect to see many offspring exhibit this trait, some will not, and some will be somewhere in between. Continued breeding with this ruderal genetics can switch a long period photo plant to a short period with more certain probability. There are plants that have been exposed to environment and have modified their flowering habits to be both photo and early flowering, and Lebanese is onenof these… it isnt classed as an auto but it does exhibit the time clock trait, instead of flowering in August like most photos do here, it may flower in early July… still lots of summer solar hours left. So the environmental modification carries over to a new environment. Eventually with successive crops it will likely extend into August like all the rest.

2 Likes

Oh and yes, I have grown Burmese, Thai, Columbian, Highland Oaxacan, Laosian, Himalayan, a few African strains… Ive had mixed success and many failures.

1 Like

I’m aware of how plants adapt and develop to their environment over time. I just disagree that lebanese is an early flowering plant by your description. Calling it an early maturing strain would be more proper. This is problem with outdoor growers saying flowers in any such month, or finishes in any such month. Because we know none of them will start to flower until they are mature. So if you don’t start a lebanese landrace seed until July, it’s not going to flower in July. Your example,

This is weeks after summer solstice, which means daylight hours are reducing, and right to trigger any plant into flowering. You have never seen anyone complain that their plant flowered on 13/11 or 14/10 schedule? This because amount of hours only matters to an extent. It’s the reduction in amount of light that makes outdoor photoperiod plants flower, not the amount of daylight hours breaking a specific threshold. Lebanese specifically is capable of being held in veg in an indoor grow environment, as such is a photoperiod strain. Because light time varies by geographical location, it’s difficult to quote exactly what they will do in every environment. I get that. But just because a plant behaves one way in it’s natural environment doesn’t mean it will behave the same in every environment. This is where separation between what is auto and a photo should occur.

2 Likes

I agree with that, all Im saying is some plants are tripped with more hours of light than others. Its also believed that tropical or equatorial plants are triggered more by intensity than hours of light… which makes sense because at the equator day length is pretty much the same all year round. So expecting that type of pkant to be photo sensitive in the same way as an Afghani is likely not reliable. Also, that genetics is transferable by crossing out.

I’ve never seen anyone suggest this before. What I have seen is that these plants grow until mature enough to flower, then begin to flower in their natural habitat. And they are in fact photo sensitive the same way if provided long and short light schedules.

Where can I find it is suggested otherwise?