What does complete darkness truly mean?

very interesting, this is only a start obviously. Genetic research also needs to be done.

3 Likes

Complete darkness can be observed by looking into my heart…

4 Likes

We talking about pot here, not the validity of your heart. Lol @AAA you asked for that one since you said it was dark.

2 Likes

Omg how did this get in here…
@AAA
20200611_212937
I made this btw.

2 Likes

It’s open season, I know how to throw a slow pitch!

Sweet artwork. Computer illustrated?

1 Like

I can’t tell you how I did it you might steal my plans. lol just kidding. Had a program helped. @AAA and no I did it on my phone. No computer.

1 Like

Impressive to produce those graphics on a phone, I would have never thought that possible.

3 Likes

@AAA I’m a Geek, just so you know. No no I play with smartphones, not dumb phones.

Thank you, tiny, 8 pound, baby jesus.

THis is a great thread! I agree with more than a few opposing viewpoints.

I am only a padawan, but I took a few botany classes to get a geology degree (rocks for jocks). I still don’t have enough to make any kind of a guess.

All my clones started indoors before being outside. I did my best to place my outdoor girls in spots that maximized direct sunlight during the day and absolutely avoided light from the one freaking streetlight right across the street from my house.

@SweetsOnDeck @keegrows @DankBank22 @Zee As outdoor growers, I thought you’d like to read this and get some variety of views on what “darkness” is for you to chew on. I’m kind of glad that we don’t know the answer.

@violagirl0 I find the journey of growing just as satisfying and the end result. A baseball game without strikeouts and pop fly catches would suck. Such is life. I’m sure I’ll get another male plant that I have to get rid of. It makes the rewards that much sweeter.

5 Likes

Hey @Jamezium, yes like everyone else has stated. Total darkness can be a bit of a misnomer. Especially for outdoor grows.
Even the apparent magnitude of a full moon is the suns photons bouncing off the moon, it’s not sufficient light to support photosynthesis.
Hence…darkness, nothing you don’t know.
Then you get into the genetics of the plant, dormant genes, hidden genetic defects.
If ya get a seed from a strand in Afghanistan that’s never even seen a street lamp light. Grow it in your backyard, and a neighbors floodlight is blasting photons on it all night, it could possible awaken those genes/defects and start sprouting balls and nanners, all kinds of fun weird stuff. A growers “Total Darkness” is just a way to ensure those defects lay dormant. Recreate the plants “natural” environment as much as possible. I choose total. Weather stripped, blacked out closet. Close myself in check it every night. But that’s just me. But if your ambient light is lower than that of the “natural world”…then you have what the plant considers darkness.

3 Likes

Growing Autoflowers makes this topic moot :boom:

2 Likes

1 Like

I think soon outdoor grows that plant seeds will be moving to auto’s growing 2+ crops without light deprivation.

2 Likes

I’d love to get me hands on some autos.
Difficult in an illegal state. :unamused:

I grow 4 crops a year outdoors, no light dep.

3 Likes

@DankBank22 @Jamezium @AAA @Member420 @OlyBoy98503 Taotaole Blackout Cloth, 16:9, 100 Inches DIY Portable Projector Screen, Finished…
3.5 out of 5 stars
$49.99
FREE Shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Taotaole-Blackout-Cloth-16-Projector/dp/B00Z745D9W/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=blackout+cloth+by+the+yard&qid=1593190862&sprefix=blackout+cloth&sr=8-14

1 Like

The Taotaole Blackout cloth is a 70% Polyester/ 30% Cotton blend fabric that is coated with multiple layers of thin rubber. It is suitable for use in a variety of settings (indoor/outdoor) with accurate color and clarity so ambient light is controlled. This material is extremely sturdy and is best for a fixed frame where it will be stretched evenly to a frame in all four directions. It also works for a tensioned hanging mount. Now if that’s not good enough for Total blackout, go to the main electrical panel and pull the plug.

2 Likes

Thank @DankBank22 for the clarification. I guess there are so much things still to be learned and revealed in due time.

3 Likes