What do you think about eliminating the stink

So I am currently running a 440cfm fan with a 450cfm Phat filter (6" x20")
Anyway last year I bought a vetch package that came with the 440cfm fan and a filter but toward the end of the grow right before harvest the smell got too much so I purchased the Phat filter. I’ve been using the Phat filter this year and has been working fine but now I’m into 6 weeks of flower and my girls are pretty stinky. I’ve tried lowering the cfm with the variable speed to slow the air flow in hopes it would scrub the smell more but it is still pretty stinky.

A few questions I have…
1.) do these filters typically only last one grow season?

2.) should I just bite the bullet and purchase a new one?

The way I have it set up is the filter is hanging at the ceiling and is ducted to my light and then ducted out of the tent to the inline fan for exhausting. I leave the 2 vents in the side of the tent open and also leave the bottom of the door cracked t allow air into the tent. If I were to close the vents and close the door all the way up and run some duct work through the lower vent would that eliminate the smell?
I can run duct work at the bottom of the tent but the 6" bottom duct bent is below the filter so I was afraid if the intake was right below the fileter the air would just get sucked up into the filter rather than being circulated around the tent.

Here is a pic of my current setup. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated

2 Likes

@Jmesser80 What I’ve found useful is buying a new filter and replacing the old… but before you dispose of that old filter -attach it to your exhaust; so that the air is forced through it on the outside of the tent. Looks goofy but it helped my situation quite a bit… and remember carbon filters don’t work as well when rh is high.
:+1::smiley:

2 Likes

I was actually thinking of attaching my old one to the exhaust and see if it would help. My RH is actually higher at the moment because of spring time and we have had quite a bit of rain so like you said I’m sure that’s not helping the cause.

@Jmesser80 it doesn’t. Lol! Attach it anyway. That rh is gonna fluctuate so ehh, can’t hurt. That just may get you through the next couple weeks anyway… it definitely helped me.
Rock n roll
:fire::metal::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::metal::fire:

1 Like

why eliminate the smell, there is nothing that smells so good, unless your not in a state, that allows it lol

1 Like

Carbon filters have a life expectancy of course it would be bad business to sell a product that works forever what I have found is that it is an item you don’t want to skimp out on a 100 filter may last you 6 months to a year a good filter with thicker carbon bed can last you several years and simply be reloaded. I’m all for saving a buck but it’s like buying cheap break pads for your car they work good but need to be replaced far more often

2 Likes