What do you need to clone and the best way to do it?

Hi I’m a medium level grower and I want to start cloning. What products should I buy and what is the best way to take clones from my plants? And do you put them in hydroponic or can you do without? Because I’m a soil user.

2 Likes

You don’t need to put them Hydro to clone. I don’t clone personally but maybe @Hellraiser will know. :+1:

1 Like

You need to read my cloning tutorial, it’ll answer most of your questions and if not, just ask.

5 Likes

My last clones of this year were just cut and placed in water. 8 of 10 rooted.

3 Likes

Did I put cloned on them?

Ok so if I buy the clone next and the little foam things they sit in can I put them in a train w a dome and make sure there’s room on the bottoms of the branches so water and rooots can grow. But do I keep they saturated?submerged to the top of foam ? Or just water and feed them like my other plants? I’m a little confused weather or not they have to be in like a cup of water or if they will just be fine in those foam things and I just water them and make sure to but clonex on the bottom of the 45degree cut

2 Likes

I personally tried cloning bucket so many times , I’m just too lazy to change water every week and I don’t use ppm and Ec meter , personally I just like setting up 1 time and letting it ride , rapid rooter and clonex did it for me it’s been 2 weeks and I think it’s gonna work , planted them and here they are

they been under direct light for a while now

3 Likes

@Amanda87 when you are cutting off the mother plant :potted_plant: for the clone you are wanting to take , the real key is once you cut :scissors: it off the plant :potted_plant:, have a baby jar of honey of ph water available to put the cutting in honey or the water as fast as possible so no air gets in the stem after it’s removed because truthfully the chlorophyll is compressed inside the stalk of the plant and it moves up and down like hydraulic fluid , does this makes sense at all ? I’m understand what you are asking , but I’m trying to give you an illustration in what I’m saying to help your understanding to comprehend how to do it technically until you get better at it right . Now I used my saliva and honey :honey_pot:, I put the honey in my mouth :lips:, cut :scissors:, place end of stem in my mouth , place in the water to go to cloner ; now before you place them into the sponggie things in the cloner , it should be a water level inside the cloner to keep your water height to for best results.

Now before you place in cloner , place the cut end in the rooting gel and place it about and 1-2 inches below the spong but not completely saturated , the cloner will have spray ends that sprays your water solution that should be ph at 5.7 - 5.9 , but this numbers can vary to 6.5 depending on the quality clarity of your water source if it’s hard water or soft water from chlorine nitrates that’s waters systems used for water purification . You want you’re cutting long enough for to be sprayed on so your roots can develope and grow into the water solution . Within in the first 3-7 days your cutting will slump a bit and that’s normal , but within 10 days you should notice Lil white specks all over they stems inside the cloner , this will become you new roots to plant. Once they get about 1-3 inches they ready for dirt and you repeat the same process , try to keep the roots wet to prevent as much air exposure as possible to prevent air pockets cause the roots is like the plants lungs system that breaths oxygen through water under dirt . It a very complex sensitive system like you women , no pun intended right ? But very fragile is what I mean in all fun . I hope this is making any sense to you Ma’am . Now once you plant them you’ll know the ones you done successfully and those that got air pockets cause they will tilt and slumb a bit , but due to recover after about 5-7 days in the soil . Blessings!

3 Likes

I just cut them, stripped the bottom nodes and placed them in the water. I refreshed the water every week and planted them in soil when the roots started feathering.

5 Likes

You might just try the water method @oldmarine showed you, about the simplest way to clone with least amount of things you need to buy, good place to start.

5 Likes

Thank you soooo much for all your information it is very helpful I’m gonna go get the supplies today and give it a try and I’ll get back to ya :wink::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I don’t need to add any nutes to the water of the clones correct? Just ph’d spring water?(that’s what I use for my girls anyways)

2 Likes

No nutes needed til after they get roots going and you would just plant them at that point in the medium of your choice and then start providing nutes (if the soil/medium doesn’t have any). Don’t need much light (and too much light is bad) but stay on a veg light schedule (at least 16/8) so they don’t go into flowering while waiting for roots. Ph’d spring water would be fine though I tend to use hydro ph levels for water based cloning of 5.6-5.8.

1 Like

I took 6 cuttings 5/25. Put them immediately in water. This morning I put them in a tray with other cuttings I took the week before.
The tray’s cells are packed fairly tightly with coco and peat mix with perlite. I dampen the cells and punch a hole in them with a pencil to receive the cuttings. Before the cutting go into the cell I make a fresh 45 degree cut on the stem. Remove extra unwanted leaves and stems (I pretty much just want the top set or two). I then dip the stem in a mix of rooting powder and great white. Stick the stem in the soil, pack it in tight, water and cover the tray.
The six along the bottom are from this morning

2 Likes

I’m not suggesting you but a bunch of added stuff Ma’am , you can still clone without the fancy stuff like my others brothers explaining @oldmarine @Hellraiser these guys are veterans at cloning as well , we are one big family here , I just gave you a more in detailed wY on hoe to approach cloning so you don’t have issues, cause they can be stubborn sometimes and take 17 days or so just from allowing the cutting to be air born to long be you put it in water or what solution you find affordable that works for you . I sent a screen shot of the newest stuff on the market not meaning for you to buy , it’s cheaper ways to DIY styles that’s effective and consistent . I cannot wait until you master it and show us your abilities and ladies growing from your skills to learn to come , Happy Growing , Keep it clean and organic green so you can get high as a jet stream !

2 Likes

@hellraiser - you know you got me started with clones and thank you for that. The ones pictured above is really only 2nd shot at it. The first time I had 16-17 cuttings. All but 1 survived. I did a fun SOG with 12 and grew the rest of them out

2 Likes

Yeah looks like you’ve turned into quite the cloning master, nice!

1 Like

You can never discount luck.

1 Like

I killed all but one clone in my attempts. The lone survivor “Gary 2.0” is a stunted mutant that is now outdoors in a perpetual state of flower/veg.

I am going to be flipping four indoor girls in a couple of weeks and will take some clones and try the old-fashioned water method myself.

Hoppy growing!

3 Likes

Ive had minimal success cloning in just the water ways. It took me to build a smaller cheaper clone box to get clones to root dight and take off. Before the clone box awas like 1 of 9 that rooted. Now i get 8 out of 8. Cloner cost about 30 bucks to make. Can even be cheaper if u want smaller. I do a cut a dip in clones then a dip in great white rooting agent and every1 pops roots within 10 days

2 Likes