Virginian’s Grow Journal What did I do? LOL

Earlier, i put about 3" of that bat guano happy frog conditioner around the base of every plant outside at about a 12" spread all the way around. We just finished getting about a 2hr MONSOON rain… it flooded EVERYTHING. it’s dark and i can’t even see the creek at the bottom of the hill but i sure can HEAR it! sounds like the rapids by my property in the river, lol. I walked out just now with LED portable light and checked everything and thankfully it DIDn’t wash all that away. You could tell the raised planter box got FLOODED. all the perlite is on the top, lol but i can still see it mostly mounded (the conditioner) around Amy Lee, Teensy and SLH’s bases so it “dissipated” some across the entire bed interior but because i’d put it so thick, left enough “mounded” at their bases to hold some nutes there for a bit :wink:

@PurpNGold74 it rained like that pic you sent up there ^^^ for over 2hrs straight, lol, and we’ve been in SUCH a drought that it COULDN’T absorb it that fast if it had to… REALLY cut some grooves in my driveway on this slope

1 Like

Used to do that a lot back when I lived in Texas. There was a whole season of flash flood time

3 Likes

Yeah my mother and sister live in TX and say the same. They’ve actually had an unusually rainy (and “cooler” than normal) season so far

1 Like

Now i know what happened to the Aloe Vera plant i had in this 7gal pot. that pot DOESN"T drain… we got between 8-9" of rain in a little over 2hrs span last night!!! that bone dry pot is now holding around 9" of water in it and NOT draining it. My aloe must’ve drowned last year. That’s a LOT of rain in a very short span… the whole creek bottom (it’s WAY out of it’s banks) looks like choco-milk water flowing but at least it’s FLOWING!!! it’s when that creek/creek bottom STOP flowing and start backing up that you know the RIVER is also out of it’s banks down there :wink: Creek has nowhere to drain

2 Likes

ALso, since i can’t edit above post…lol…could have SWORN my trust level increase last week afforded unlimited edits… but anyway, Zoey Zkittlez, in her new 6gal bucket home, and with that HF soil conditioner lining the top two or so inches of her bucket, took a BEATING in that pounding torrential rain last night but the bucket drained perfectly, must’ve soaked that bat guano down in there GOOD and between getting such a drowning drink and a burst of nutrients she grew almost TWO inches since yesterday!! :slight_smile: Guess her roots finally took hold they’ve been creeping what, a couple days now since i posted that? Hoping Sally Struthers pops her head out of the soil today sometime too :slight_smile: :heart:

3 Likes

:hushed: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: (knuckle-dragger uggs himself on the head for NOT doing this all along…)… SO, i decided i was going to try those BestVA lights with Veg AND Bloom switches on… Product manual only states “if your plants need more energy please use both switches”…ummm, yeah, they uhhh TOLD ME, “we need more ENERGY here Mr. missing link!!” :smiley: I turned that on for the 2 GSCs in that closet yesterday morning and thought right before reprogramming the timer surge protector that they looked like they GREW in that 12hr span of it being like that. Lights cut off when they should have and when i woke (was 20min late waking :smiley: ) they were already on so it must’ve come on when supposed to also. Just got around to them inside as i’ve been out with the doggos when they went out and tending to the outside ladies. They DEFINITELY grew!! and bushed out!! the one i TOPPED (i can now tell :wink: ) has shoots catching up with the two tops and i RE-topped (was true accidental fim on that one) the other 2 days ago and it’s already separating out also. Going to give them another day in both switches’ lighting and then LST them and let’em puff up for a couple weeks then flip’em :wink: :slight_smile:

NOTHING so far on Sally Struthers … :confused: will be first seed that germ’d with a good taproot tail that i put in soil that DIDN’T come up. Even the other two SLHs came up but ostriched their heads back to soil twice in a week span and shriveled and died. Hoping she’s just a late bloomer :wink:

1 Like

She’s gonna bu bigger than Sally in real life and she got big

2 Likes

Took her pot outside to a warm spot in the sun for a bit. Maybe the soil just wasn’t getting warm enough in this conditioned air in here to encourage her to show face :wink:

UPDATE 26 July, 2021 14:26hrs. Spent copious amount of time again this morning RE-tying down growth on the outside ladies in the yard, and tied down new monstrous growth that had been afforded by the biggest parts of them being tied down last week and then the monsoon rain and storm/drizzle the next day also, plus probably the bat doodie… :wink:

The fence section holding Amy Lee’s biggest growths down in the raised planter box had come loose from it’s temporary binding to the upright so i tied it off again which brought her tall stuff that was still tied down, back down to about even with new growth again. Teensy and SLH’s growths got tied down further yesterday.

Zoey Zkittles, out back in a 6gal bucket with the in ground ladies looks to have grown (stretched a lil actually nodes not NEAR as tight as the GSCs) a little overnight again.

The two GSCs under the lights inside made major growth again with both veg and blm on. NEED to get them tied down and have some metal hangers i could sacrifice but i HAVE plant tying wire coming by wed, lol. They can wait (i hope , lol)

1 Like

So Amy Lee, Teensy and the SLH (everything in the raised planter box) got an ever loving SOAKING of Captain jack’s NEEM Oil spray (ready to use) since that’s what was (wrongly) sent and the replacement was SUPPOSED to be here today and still says “Arriving Today” but doesn’t even show “shipped” yet, lol :smiley: Anyway, not waiting anymore. Tired of seeing those leaf colored “moths” (flies, whatever they are) nibbling away daily on same or new leaves. The preying mantis was still there, i let it move out the way when it smelled that on a shoot i just sprayed, it moved over to the fence and “watched” me finish and when i looked back it was gone but i’d just finished Amy Lee and i looked closer and it’d climbed back on her on the under side of a leaf even though it was soaked with the spray also. I put on the rubbermaid kitchen gloves and turned over EVERY leaf/stalk, STARTING from her “innards” so i wasn’t dripping it on my forearms and down those gloves by pre-emptively starting on outer growth :wink: They’re well coated. and of course i hear it booming out there like a storm is coming up. they HAD nearly “dried” to a sheen instead of wet looking by the time i’d finished and was misting the pot Sally Struthers was in, hoping to coax her to get her lazy needy self up :smiley:

2 Likes

LOL!!! DANGIT Sally!!! You lazy wench!! :joy: :rofl: I swear y’all, i was JUST about to give up on that soil conditioner/inert soil i’d mixed and put Sally Struthers’ germinated seed in on Friday i think it was. EVERY other seed i’ve put in soil has popped up the same, the next, or within 2 days after. I LITERALLY just brought that 1.5gal pot in, and a solo cup full of the soil mix I MADE, in the raised planter box, and was going to carefully try to locate/extract her from that soil and place into what i know works and then i see her fat lil green but all bent over out of the soil, ABOUT to pop her head up :smiley: nice of you to FINALLY attempt to join us :wink: :heart: @PurpNGold74 @Smalls @UGrowGirl @oldmarine @anon86641082 have any of Y’ALL ever gotten so impatient with one NOT popping up that you KNEW had a good tail (taproot) and carefully located/extracted them to try again? I’m sure it can be done if extra cautious and the new medium is prepared/conditioned right (damp but not soaked, etc)

3 Likes

I will sometimes dig down and find it in the soil. Make sure it’s still there. (Like for some reason it would vanish lol) Give it some more time :wink:

4 Likes

I had her on the kitchen counter in the window light with sun BEAMING through, and an overhead fluorescent zoey was sitting under, and a plastic serving spoon in hand about to make the first excavation dig and saw the green stalk bent over trying to pop out :smiley:

3 Likes

Ya I’m guilty of digging! Had one take 9 days.gave up on her then she took over and out grew the rest??? CRAZY AUTOS!!!

5 Likes

HA!! was like mah-fargin’ Christmas at the mailboxes when i got in today… 5 boxes waiting, lol. Only 3 were for me, 2 were chewy boxes for the dogs/cats. But i got my other (Barrina) light today, Capt Jacks Dead Bug Brew, plant tying wire, usb microscope, and my long hose watering wand. My original sprayer (at LEAST 25yrs old) finally BROKE! the whole brass insert in the end of the handle came separated from the epoxy or whatever attached it in there when manufactured, lol. Anyway, new light setup and Zoey is back inside under it by herself for now til Sally Struthers gets a lil bigger :wink: I’ll get a pic of it later it is SUPER bright. Y’all might wanna check into that @dbrn32 @PurpNGold74 and any others that’s been discussing lights lately. Barrina put this 200W ACTUAL draw light out, DIMMABLE, has folding panel on each side to “aim” better if needed, for $139, cheaper than the price of the 105W v2 rspec HLG ($145)… I’m including the A’zon link for it so you can see the PAR values @dbrn32 . This isn’t a bad little entry level light and i ALMOST paid that much each (20 less each) for the blurple looking BestVA lights. This is 5W more than those are at 195W each and NOTICEBLY whiter/brighter. We’ll see how Zoey reacts under it for a bit :wink: I’m aware the LINK says $199 but when you click it it’s $60 off :wink: This thing is HEAVY!!! I can’t believe how much heavier it is than those 3" thick “boxed” BestVA lights. It’s every bit 3/16, maybe 1/4" thick aluminum heatsink panel. I’m impressed so far with this light over any of the 3 brands now that i’ve had :slight_smile:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08VJ4X2QL?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

4 Likes

Ok folks, @anon86641082 , @oldmarine @dbrn32 @PurpNGold74 @CygnusX1 @Smalls @Myfriendis410 @CalamityJane @JaneQP @kaptain3d and anyone else you consider an EXPERIENCED grower who’d like to answer this… Say, for instance, i JUST started Zoey a month ago and Sally Struthers JUST popped her head up overnight for good, and i wanted to VEG them allllllll the way into spring to take them outside to grow NEXT year. Is that possible to keep them in VEG “indefinitely” like that or will the plant in a certain amount of time just naturally want to transition to flower? IS it all light controlled to where i could VEG them til Spring? Not that i will, i’m just curious if that is how/what people do in winter to be “a step ahead” for spring where some are just germinating??? Thanks in advance for your time and replies :slight_smile:

EDIT*** they’re photos of course, not AF
EDIT*** part deux… learned you can only tag 10 ppl at a time in a post?? sorry CoyoteCody and others

6 Likes

Well, you screwed up by considering me experienced, but I do think I can answer this one. :wink:

Yes, you can technically keep a photo going as long as you want though there is some maintenance involved in that to keep them in check. I know there are several people that keep “mothers” going for a very long time in their own tent just to keep taking clones from and growing out / flowering the clones while keeping the mother in veg for quite a long time…

You may have luck searching “mother” and / or some cloning threads to get ideas.

You can also technically “re-veg” a flowering plant. The rabbit hole runs deep.

6 Likes

I’m a sponge for knowledge, especially once i set my mind to doing a task i want to know ALL about it i can and retain most of it even in crammed-in-info fashion. I had enough my first go around outside (of same BD strain) that i played around with MULTIPLE techniques which Bergman’s “bible” said was for “advanced growers” :smiley: I’ve ALWAYS known, i can do ANYthing the next man can, except be born naturally skinny :wink: that one was out of my control :smiley: I want to try mainlining and have been watching a LOT of what @oldmarine does with his, knowing he re-veg’s them so i will search out what you suggested and consult his and others’ journals that practice these techniques and take in all i can. Thanks for the reply Cygnus

4 Likes

No doubt. My second grow has just started, I changed over to Coco, am taking a run at regular non-fem seeds, plan to FIM the auto and Top the regular, etc… So not jumping all the way into the deep end yet, but working to take several next steps after making plenty of mistakes but getting a decent harvest from the first run.

I really want to start a bonsai as well, and I just might if multiple of the regular seeds planted end up being female as I really only want to flower 2 plants at the same time in my current 2x2 space…

Lots to learn and experiment with.

4 Likes

Yes you can, just be careful with the lights and you should be good…

When they are mature enough, they will probably show you a few pistils … just keep on vegging…

At least that’s what I do sometimes… :wink:

But expect monsters when you’re ready to flip them… :nerd_face:

8 Likes