What can i use to remove chlorine and chloridane

What can i use to get rid of chlorine ? @Bobbydigital @Covertgrower @Hellraiser @Borderryan @Bulldognuts

1 Like

Fill a pitcher/bucket let it sit with top uncovered for 24 hours.itll dechlorinate itself.

6 Likes

Leaving it out or using fish dechlorinater. Removes some the bad stuff leftover too.

7 Likes

Hey I had just asked this the other day somewhere else and got no reply…

I’ve been using distilled water but can see that getting pricy. Is it acceptable to simply use tap water that has been left out 24 hours?

Is there some other preparation or variables to consider?

I have to use distilled for my humidifier regardless so was hoping to save some money otherwise I’m looking at like 3-5 bucks a day in water alone toward end of grow.

Also, can I simply put it in an empty gallon water jug with cap off? Or does the opening need to be wider

3 Likes

My last two grows i just went to wally world and bought distilled for 80 cents a gal went the other day and it’s $1.10. I have used tap before and just let it set for a day or two but was worried about other chemicals other than chlorine. Used arround 100 gal of distilled at 80 cents 80 bucks.

1 Like

I just let it sit out for a night. I’ve used fish water treatment but it caused deficiencies. Iron, in particular.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info guys. @BobbyDigital @Covertgrower @Borderryan

2 Likes

Get a water report from your Muni water source: look for chloramines. If not present just allow to stand out or drop an air stone in and run air through the water for a couple of hours. If chloramines are present you will have to use some kind of dechlorinator (H.D. sells a pond dechlor).

The ideal would be to run an R/O system with a D/I filter on it. That takes it all.

2 Likes

I put gallons and gallons of straight tap water through my outdoor girls and I can’t say I saw any issues whatsoever.
And I mean like at least a 5g bucket a day in the height of summer.
Straight from the tap to the bucket to the plant.

If you’ve got decent tap water the amount of chlorine in the water isn’t toxic to you or your plants!
If it smells like a swimming pool I wouldn’t use it.
Chlorine is actually a trace element and has beneficial effects on the health of the plant.
In excess, sure it’ll kill 'em.
Just like alcohol, cigarettes and the fluoride in your toothpaste will kill you, in excess!
Tap water isn’t a source of that kind of excess.

That being said, I have a company that delivers cases and cases of distilled water, so my cost is about as low as I can get it, but I still mix distilled and tap.
I usually go 3:1 distilled to tap.
I used to treat the tap for the inside girls but I said screw it after a bit.

3 Likes

Sorry you didn’t get a reply

I have some test strip and found a 5 gal bucket filled with two gallons of my tap water takes about 48 hrs to completely off gas chlorine. A narrower opening, a bubbler, less surface area, more volume, different concentrations of chlorine in someone else’s water, etc could change that timeline.

Hope this helps

1 Like

I have extra air stones connected to my DWC air manifold, and when time comes to change out nutrients/water (or the buckets are running low), I fill replacement buckets with the proper amount of tap water and let the air stones run in them (one stone per bucket) for anywhere from six to 24 hours. Then, I add nutrients and adjust the pH while the bubblers are still going to mix everything up and swap out the old buckets for new. I don’t have a water softener, so I don’t have to worry about that, and since our water is so hard out here, so there’s no need for Cal-Mag.

I’m doing the exact same thing…

When they upped the price, I switched to the parents choice. It’s 88 cents
… helps to have babies I suppose. Lol

No worries. This is a great community, I didn’t take it personal.

I’m thinking I might just use some of my gallon containers and throw them on a shelf with water and rotate em out. I’ll cap em on like day 3-4 or so… I figure I’ve got 4 plants, I’ll probably get to a gallon a day by the end and 12 gallons should get me through a 3 day cycle.

But that will definitely save me a ton of money on water.

Thanks for all the responses

2 Likes

@jdw I replace it every third grow

1 Like

My 2 cents don’t keep buying water, buy an air stone 20-25$ get a 5 gallon bucket fill with water and let it sit out 24-48 hrs or even longer with air stone in it. That will get most of all the chemicals out that are put in there to make it safe for us. Spending any more $ then necessary in opinion is not a good ideal, also there are some good minerals in water that your are not getting if you only use distilled water, good luck hope this helped

4 Likes

Check with your public water and see what disinfection process they use. If chlorine let the water sit out 24 hours to let the chlorine dissipate (and associated chlorinated hydrocarbons). If chloramines are used I believe you can add vitamin C. I am tagging in @MeEasy to verify the last statement.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tag Ms @JaneQP , yep a very small amount of vitamin C/ascorbic acid will completely neutralize any chlorine or chloramine in your water, it also lowers the ph which is nice because a lot of tap water has a ph above 7

4 Likes

Wha is the ppm of your tap water?
If it isn’t crazy high then you can use it by just letting it set out a day or 2.
So much online makes new people think they got to have RO or distilled water and that is simply BS my freind :grin:

2 Likes

This is exactly what I do. My tub leaks and I’ve never fixed it because I use so much water. I Let it drip in a bucket and pour that into jugs fir when I need it. I got jugs fir days around the house :rofl:

3 Likes

From the web -

Research studies have shown that when you irrigate your garden plants with tap water, the damage done to microorganisms in the soil is minimal and temporary.

One reason chlorinated water has little impact is that chlorine binds to soil particle surfaces. This immobilizes chlorine and reduces its ability to kill microorganisms. The organisms in the top surface of soil or compost may be affected after irrigation, but as the water moves downward, little chlorine remains.

In one study, researchers found that water chlorinated at 5 parts per million (a much stronger concentration of chlorine than is usually present in tap water) killed organisms only in the top 1/2 inch of soil. Organisms deeper than 1/2 inch were still thriving. In order to kill soil microorganisms to a soil depth of 6 inches, water containing 65 ppm chlorine was required in one study.

The study that came to these conclusions used poor sandy soil with no added organic material other than minimal grass clippings, because they were trying to replicate home lawn care conditions. These soil conditions would not have the level of microbial activity that an organic vegetable garden would enjoy.

(I have not yet been able to determine how long it takes for the microbial communities to regenerate. “Rapid” could mean an hour, or a day, or longer. During a very hot and dry summer when we might water every one or two days, the degradation rate and regeneration rate would be important!)

Finally, it is important to note that it is the microbes in the soil that break down the chlorine and the ammonia.

The more life that is in the soil, the more quickly the unwanted chemicals will clear up. This shows that keeping your soil rich and full of organic matter is very important if you must use tap water to irrigate.

Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidizer.

It is also versatile. The fact that hydrogen peroxide is used for seemingly contradictory applications proves its versatility.

For example, it can be used to inhibit microbial growth, as in the bio-fouling of water circuits; and it can be used to encourage microbial growth, as in the bioremediation of contaminated groundwaters and soils. It can treat easily oxidized pollutants like iron and sulfides, and difficult-to-oxidize pollutants like solvents, gasoline, and pesticides.

The reason hydrogen peroxide can be used for such diverse applications is that there are different ways its power can be directed; this is called “selectivity.” By simply adjusting the conditions of the reaction—such as pH, temperature, or dosage—a variety of results can be achieved.

For backyard gardening purposes, a simple chlorine test demonstrates the rapid destruction of free available chlorine by hydrogen peroxide.

The correct amount of hydrogen peroxide to use is approximately one or two drops per gallon, using a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution available in drugstores.

The free chlorine will have disappeared by the time you have finished stirring the water. The presence of excess hydrogen peroxide used in this test is not harmful to soil life, so exact amounts and exact pH of the water should not be important.

What about the use of ascorbic acid? This formula is from a municipal water department: “1000 mg of vitamin C tablets purchased from a grocery store, crushed and mixed with bathwater, removes chloramine completely in a medium-size bathtub without significantly depressing pH.” There are shower attachments available that use ascorbic acid to remove chloramine .

One of these attachments could be attached to a garden hose with a simple adapter. The duration of effective chloramine removal may be shorter than the product claims, so it might be a good idea to periodically test the treated water using a chlorine test strip .

In my experience, in-line filters and attachments are best attached at the source end of the hose, not at the end you hold. These parts are bulky and they can make it harder for you to water your garden.

I’m not sure I can link the article directly, there are ads on the site.
It’s not from a post on another forum or anything sketchy.
It’s from thegrownetwork dot…
Their a very people and earth-friendly group. I just read the articles! LOL!

Anyway to each their own, but as long as I’m adding and feeding microbes weekly I’m not worried about something as insignificant as chlorine.

A favorite bud from my current grow. In her last week or so. Can’t wait to cure her up and smoke her!
But I digress, she’s had at least 1/4 of each watering from potting stage onward of untreated tap water.
She’s a clone, and you know what? This might be a great test for my next clone run. Half with distilled and the regimen, the other half tap and the regimen.

6 Likes

I have been using tap water that I let sit for 24-48 hrs and then ph 6.5 (crucial)

Look up your cities water quality report on google if you’re curious what’s in the tap water, nonetheless I’ve watered before that 24-48 hr mark and had no issues at all with my plants, I even forgot to ph one time and my tap water ph comes out in the high 8s

I do plan on getting an air stone so I can keep the water moving, and I’d like to get into making tees, I have so many banana peels left over from being sick haha

2 Likes