What are these on my Strawberry Kush plant?

If you let the seeds develop there is a bonus here. All of the seeds will be female. You have produced a shit tonne of feminised strawberry kush seeds. You could go into business.

Not true if you are starting from good genetics. The plant hermied because of light schedule issues. All of the seeds will be female and top quality.

@Covertgrower @Hellraiser @dbrn32 @Nicky @CMichGrower @HappyHydroGrower @MeEasy @Myfriendis410 is this guy right about seeds or am i the one reading hermies wrong. A hermie is a hermie right unless done with sts or colloidal to make it a hermie they will be hermie seeds CORRECT?? this dude is trying to get a guy to start selling hermie seeds if this is the way im taking it. Not cool.

2 Likes

Offspring from a plant that unintentionally developed into an hermaphrodite will tend to produce the same trait in it’s offspring.

And feminized is NOT the same thing as female.

4 Likes

You know @Mark0427 I’m still not convinced that there’s much difference in a plant that hermies because of light stress and spraying silver on it to burn it stressing it into a herm. I personally feel that any seed made by a herm plant is tainted with a herm gene. I don’t know how DNA can tell the difference in purposely herm or accidental herm. Now we have thousands of breeders that have been growing for a whole 6 months breeding herm seeds with herm plants over and over and selling them on eBay.

This concerns the hell out of me, I’ve seen more mutant plants in the past few years than I did for the thirty years before

4 Likes

Please unless u grow put a bunch of the seeds produced and have no issues with them dont try and sell them or even give them away for that matter. Im sure noone wants ilgm selling or giving them herm seeds. We all expect the same from other breeders. If ur plant has seeds in it and there was no male around i would not grow the seeds as they got be a herm seed if no male around.

2 Likes

Studies do support that genetic herm produce herm, stressed herms produce female.
From an article from Frontiers in Plant Science:

"The morphology of anthers and pollen formation in hermaphroditic inflorescences was similar to that in staminate flowers. Seedlings from hermaphroditic seeds, and anther tissues, showed a female genetic composition while seedlings derived from cross-fertilized seeds showed a 1:1 male:female sex expression ratio. Uniquely, hermaphroditic inflorescences produced seeds which gave rise only to genetically female plants."

2 Likes

@imSICKkid @MattyBear and @KeystoneCops know more about genetics then me but others above are correct to my understanding.

This is why breeders use regular seeds and why experinced growers prefer regular seeds if they can get their hands on them.
Fem seeds are a short cut with fall back and herms produce herm seeds at a much higher rate.

It’s still possible to get female seeds from a herm plants seeds but it’s a lower chance then 50% and it’s a weaker genetic.

2 Likes

I think you have the gist of it. To sorta skip to the TL&DR, if you’re a serious breeder, you probably want dioecious plants that resist induced hermaphroditism.

If I’m inducing hermaphroditism, I want to know that the hermaphroditism is due to my extraordinary efforts, and not monoecious tendencies in the line.

1 Like

So true @KeystoneCops

At what F value is a strain considered stable?
I recently picked up some F3 regs and some F8 regs (well I ordered some Ace seeds last night)

1 Like

Depends on your definition of stable.

I think you mean “this breeds true, and there are very few observable variations in subsequent open-pollinated generations.” It depends on your starting point (parent stock), but if you’re selecting for uniformity, F8 seems about correct. This stuff is so complicated.

However, if you meant “the seeds from this breeding will produce largely uniform plants which cannot reliably reproduce,” then my answer is a well-bred F1 hybrid.

I don’t understand how an F1 is stable lol yeah this is complicated.
Hopefully my f3’s turn out well.

Hi @Mark427 and everyone else. OK so I removed the hermied plant as soon as the lights came back on after reading this post with the hope the other haven’t been pollinated. It was hard having to see this one ending prematurely and as you see I finally cut it up as you can see . I got around 2 ounces + or- 2 or 3 grams. I dried them up but wasn’t certain they had to be put in a dark place or not. They ended up in my closet. When i tried it, it basically was pretty much similar strength of the ones I used to buy. I thought to myself imagine what the other two would be like. Talking about the other 2, today is the first day on week six. However I was a little worried if you can tell me if what you’re seeing is a good sign or a bad one because I am not sure if the buds look OK or not. They have a strong citrus small and i am assuming what’s shining on the leaves are trichomes?
I checked the light intensity and surprisingly when tested from the plant distance the 450w seem to emit stronger light as you can the needle goes of the chart. I don’t know why that is. The last 2 pictures are the ones taken today. I switched off the grow button on the 450 and thought it may be better to keep it that way as blurple color disappeared.
I am hoping I will get good news on them. For the next round with my 2 remaining Strawberry Kush seeds from ILGM I have decide to purchase the Viraspectra Pro 1500 avoiding the blurple ones as advised and thought it would be good of a 3x3. Not sure if to use soil or coco as a medium. I have also ordered meters to help me control temp, humidity, heat etc. Like I said I am still fresh from the oven but I did a lot of research and feel I have a much better idea how look after my future plants. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My mistake I only got half an ounce from the hermied plant. I was meant to say 2 quarters :slightly_smiling_face:

My take on it - a genetic hermie’s seeds will produce more genetic hermies. If a plant is not a genetic hermie and is induced to hermie thru light stress or other means than the seeds will produce females and not be guaranteed hermies.

I have used intentional light leaks to make a plant go slightly hermie, the seeds produced grew female plants that did not go hermie under normal conditions (no light leaks) since there were no genetic hermies used to produce the pollen or make the seeds.

But any seeds made from hermies can be more likely to go hermie, but not guaranteed to go hermie, as I’ve grown out many seeds produced by making a plant a hermie and the subsequent plants did not go hermie, so has everyone else that bought feminized seeds and not had their plants go hermie on them.

2 Likes

20210426_140459

@Mark0427 @Joshmcginnis28 We;; you were not wrong about seeds. Look what I’ve got and this is just from 2 plants. All up I managed just over 2 ounces. It was a good smoke, my finders got stuck together like superglue whilst removing the seeds.

I cleaned the tent inside out and got it ready for my next grow. I got myself 2 Viparspectra xs1000. They come with a Meanwell driver and Samsung Diodes with the intention of using one per plant. I bought both a humidifier and a dehumidifier with a controller. I also bought a temperature controller with only a heater attached as it’s winter here. In the first week I ran into some problem which slowed the grow process. The seedlings started stretching but not growing. I also noticed the soil looking too compact for my liking and just constantly wet, so I decided to re pot them into a new soil which also contained perlite and just doused them with a little water. It took around 5 days to start seeing positive results.

This was on 23 May and were planted on hat day

These 4 are called ‘Mullumbimby’. It goes after it’s town’s name. It’s a sativa strain. I have 4 there because they’re regular seeds so don’t know which ones if any will turn female. I only need one and will get rid of the others because I simply have no space.

30th May

6th June

June 7

I looked closely here to see if there was any sign to determine gender.

June 12

June 13

So, I have a couple of question I would love your assistance with. The Strawberry Kush on the left is getting quite dense and there;s a lot of activity happening beneath. Not much light is going through. Any suggestions? The other thing is I repotted the 4 Mullumbimby twice so far and I’m running out of space. Would I have to wait for flowering before I can do that? Thank you all in advance.

1 Like