What are my leaves telling me?

Hello,

I’m trying to figure out what my needs are telling me on the attached pictures. Here’s the set up being used:

Strain - Pineapple Express auto
System - Hydroponic DWC
Lights - Duolux 600 LED
Indoor
Temps - 75 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit
Humidity - 40-50%
No ventilation yet - only fans
No CO2 (closet grow)
No run-off
General Hydroponic nutrients (minimally at this point)

Thank you,

ChaoticGood

Have you used any cal-mag with your nutes?

Nutrient strength and PH?

What’s the pH of the DWC reservoir?

Water temperature is as important as air temperature in DWC, best kept around 70F, not to exceed 78F.

I’ve no experience with that irrigation system, I’m wondering if the medium holding the plant is too wet?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

No @pigSquishy he’s in hydro, he wants to be at 5.8 pH, never lower than 5.5 and never higher than 6.1!

Leaf does remind me of root rot.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Yea maybe so, but that’s not what’s he’s using here pig…
I’m just letting him know the correct pH range for hydroponics. Everywhere I’ve ever looked or read has said your water pH for hydro should be 5.8 for optimum nutrient intake. Regardless of what your nutrients change the water pH to, you’re supposed to correct it to 5.8 for best results. That’s a fact for weed. So unless you have a new strain that likes a different pH, I’m not sure why you’re saying his pH should be in those levels?
But anyway, we need to help him with HIS setup, and his setup requires pH of 5.8, like every other hydro grow ive ever heard of lol. But @pigSquishy nailed it with the rapid rooter needed to be more dry!

I’m not a pro and still learning but wouldn’t a little swing allow plants to change up there nute intake a little ? This is a topic I’d like to learn more about.

I think everybody’s right in this thread ?

The reason we often say 5.8 to beginners is it keeps it simple and gives them a reference point

However I agree with mr. Squishy, in that the reason some more advanced growers like a little flex room is because different nutrients absorb more readily at different pH levels

Regarding the original posters question I suspect pH issues

Could you post a photo of your roots for us?

@kabongster I still remember that bowl of spaghetti that you had for roots! The reason I suspect pH is because he didn’t put a pH reading in the support ticket, with my glasses on I zoomed-in and that plant is in some serious distress

Do you recall blind Stoners plant? He had the same setup and I think his plant looked a lot like that too. I haven’t been able to find that thread yet, I wanted to see what he had going wrong …if I find it I’ll put a link

Edit: @ChaoticGood Found a similar thread, hope link helps ?

Yea I’m not saying pH swing is a bad thing. I’m just saying that your target pH for hydro is 5.8, regardless of nutrients added. You will always have a pH swing with your water. Even daily your waters pH will change. But you still try to get it back to right around 5.8, that’s our goal for hydro.

Thank you all for the information.

The pH may have been off, but I corrected to 5.6-5.8 range (prefer to keep it a little bit lower to compensate for added nutrients). I did not use Cal-Mag, however I ordered Hydroguard to assist.

The temperature of the water, unfortunately, is hard for me to control. The current temperature is 22 degrees Celsius. Any suggestions other than getting a crazy expensive water chiller (which isn’t for me)?

Minimal nutrient use (maybe a tablespoon the first week - this is day 9).

As for the Rapid Rooter, I considered that it might be a bit too wet, but moving the tube was difficult (because net pot holes were too small). However, a Girl Scout Cookie Auto and Bubba Kush Auto in the same DWC look healthy in the background (see photo)

Needless to say, I lost the Pineapple Express Auto - the roots did look okay, so perhaps it was the heavy watering on the Rapid Rooter (although the leaves were not curling down much).

Thank you again, very helpful.

ChaoticGood

Here’s a chart that tells you what nutrients are available to the plant at different PH levels.

I had lots of weird things like that with plants when I used Rapid Rooters most would grow well but some would look burnt or get root rot but that all stopped when I just used Coco/perlite and stopped using rapid rooters.
And looking at the plants still growing from then most have scares around the base of the stem from i’m guessing algae from the Rapid Rooters.
I never liked the way they were always wet.

Every morning you can put a frozen water bottle into your reservoir to help aid with bringing your water temps down. Replace as often as needed. Also, Hydroguard is a great buy, but I definitely recommend cal mag as well.

Your water temp isn’t that bad, a few degrees cooler is ideal, but not much warmer!
Be sure to provide plenty of aeration to the water…the higher the water temp, the less oxygen it holds…you have to provide it with better air pumps and air stones.