What are F1 auto seeds?

I was talking to a friend about the inconsistencies with my auto plants. My friend mentioned they had read something about auto seeds should be F1. Neither of us could find any more information about F1 and autos. Does anyone out there know anything about that? Is it even relevant? Thank you.

It refers to the generation. An f1 seed would be taken from a mother plant that’s been pollinated by a male and the seeds she produced would be and f1 I believe. I’m no expert just from what I read. Here’s a pic of a “family tree”
However I could be totally wrong just a speculation.
PSS seed banks I have ran across don’t really tell what generation the seed is from. If your buying from a reputable seed dealer you may be able to find out but not too sure.
Good luck

1 Like

Thanks! That’s very interesting. I guess I’ll stick to reputable seed sources and not worry if it’s F1. But would be fun to find out. I like the chart. Always fun to learn more about these amazing plants.

1 Like

If your just worried about good genetics there’s plenty of good places out there. You can also purchase straight from here! I have yet to try ILGM seeds since I really didn’t research them but boy did I wish I had. There doing a killer deal right now too. I’ve herd a lot of positive things about the Gold Leafs as well as the GDP.
I’ll be running these in the future. Plus you can check out the Bud of The Month thread showcasing ILGM specific orders plus the grows they produce. Also if you get ILGM seeds you too can participate in the tread! Lots of cool stuff here.
Cheers Partner!

1 Like

If you are wondering about an F1 hybrid… you need to understand some genetics basics first. The chart shows a super skunk x white widow right? Lets assume that both of these plants are relatively stable breeds for sake of argument. They are each the product of crosses and back crossing to create a semi stable breed. Once these two are crossed the genes from each and their parents are passed to the to the offspring. Now we enter into the possible combinations of traits that may be expessed and that is phenotypes. An F1 hybrid can produce a wide variety of offsping because the cross is not stabilized. You may get fat leaves on one plant and long skinny ones on another? You may get totally different terpine profiles between plants? Height differences? Width?
After many successions of breeding, the differences become less and less but at a cost of vigor. When a breeder notices the plants are simply not improving, then a new cross for traits and vigor is introduced. This happens in nature when a bee brings in pollen from another crop, or a strong breeze blows it across a valley. I get seed from a farmer in Afghanistan and still I see variations from seed to seed in a plant that has been traditionally grown there for many generations.

2 Likes

Curious. If you can tell, what is the backstory?

Im sorry, can you elaborate? Notbsure what your asking?

Despite the fact that the farmer in Afghanistan is potentially growing fromnthe same seed for generations, the plants he grows more than likely will get pollen from nearby crops. This automatically adds vigor and more variation because of phenotypes. Happens all tge time in hash growing areas, heck there is feral weed on the roadsides in parts of India.

1 Like

How you came to get seeds from a farmer in Afghanistan?

1 Like

Oh, I personally didnt, but Angus the guy that ownes RSC did. I merely used this as an example. If you didnt know, RSC sources directly from landrace/ heritage farmers from places like, Afghanistan, India, Thailand, Laos, Russia, Africa and Im certain Im missing some places.

OK got it. I was hoping for a clandestine adventure story. At first I was wondering how the Royal Shakespeare Co is related to cannabis. RSC Real Seed Co that makes more sense. Have a great one.

2 Likes

yer funny! Sorry nothing fancy going on here.

1 Like

Thank you and also to Booboodafoo for your clear explanations on cannabis genetics. A whole new sea of knowledge to explore. It’s fascinating. And also explains the inconsistency between seeds. Understanding reduces frustration. I planted 3 Northern Lights auto seeds this spring. Two are tall, 53 and 46 inches with lots of white hairs. Hope they don’t out grow my grow light and tent. I can’t raise the grow light any further. Will probably have to sneak them outside somewhere. The 3rd is much shorter with no signs of flowering. Yet. Three Jack Herer autos are still small with no sign of flowering. But all the plants look healthy. So I’m optimistic.
Great info! Thanks.

1 Like

yeah nice! Look up phenotypes for a better explanation, there are pictures and stuff, its a pretty simple concept, but vitally important when selecting plants for cloning or breeding.

1 Like

And to add one thing: “F” stands for “Filial”.

1 Like

Overachiever… :laughing: