What are acceptable temperature fluctuations?

I’m working on my first grow in my basement shower that never gets used. The temperature in there is about 68°-70°F degrees all day. I decided to add a space heater to get the temperature up a little. Now the temperature fluctuates from 68°-83°F every 15-30 minutes. Could this cause an issue?

1 Like

First why is the temps fluctuating so much in such a short period of time. Does the space heater you are using have a temperature control on it. I use a Delonghi ceramic tower heater that has a digital temperature control and it keeps temperature in tent fairly close to where I set it to be. Temperature swings that rapidly and that dramatic can stress a plant. Cannabis can hermie on you if it is continually stressed out. I won’t say that 68 is absolutely to low to grow cannabis in but it’s not idea for healthy growth and 83 is getting to the higher end of acceptable temperatures. I believe that you should try to figure out how to stabilize temperatures.

1 Like

If using cloth pots u can run a higher temp as long as roots are cool they get hot in a normal pot at anything over 80f

But u need to nip your temp flux in the bud asap

1 Like

You don’t mention your humidity. I grow at 68-75F and as long as the RH stays low 50’s the girls thrive.

1 Like

I’m currently using the heater thermostat, but I’m planning to use a temperature switch, now that I know this isn’t a good setup. Thank you.

That usually happens when the heater (the same thing can happen with air conditioners, humidifiers, dehumidifiers) is too big for the space. It conditions the air around it so quickly that it ends up cycling too quicky. A shower is an awfully small area.
@djfo77 you might try heating the room the shower is in, instead of just the shower. If that’s too big of an area for your heater, then you might try a small ceramic heater like @Bulldognuts suggested. They make small ones that are great for small areas.

1 Like

Temp and humidity fluctuation may not be such a bad thing, for instance, too dry and spider mites stand a better chance of migrating and surviving, too humid and mold has it’s day at your expense, pop between the two with good air circulation and you create an environment that’s brutal on many invaders, not offering sanctuary to one or the other. As long as you don’t go outside the perimeter of what the plants can handle and duration they can handle it.

1 Like

I got it connected an Inkbird Temperature controller. Now it’s staying between 72° & 76°F. Thanks for all your comments.

2 Likes

Thanks, @TommyBahama this is one of the reasons I like trying to help out. I just learned something that I hadn’t really thought about. :+1:

1 Like

Happy to hear that you have been able to get temperatures stabilized.