What am I doing wrong other than too much water?

A question from a fellow grower:

I did a lot of research and all I can come up with is overwatering issue. But I stopped watering already and the first 2 inches in the soil dried already but zero improvement. I use 2 300W equivalent CFLs and a fan, both on 24/7. Could you tell me what am I doing wrong other than too much water?

3 Likes

hope there are holes in those cups?
what are you temps and humidity like?
range from lights?
type of soil? seed starter mix?
The fan is not pointed at them it would dry out your leaves if too direct

4 Likes

Another thing, I would suggest a 18 / 6 hours schedule . :innocent:

4 Likes

I disagree, 24/7 is my preferred schedule as cannabis doesn’t need a dark period but that’s not your issue, are you pHing your water ?

4 Likes

i think you may have an issue with lighting. u should only need one 60 watt cfl. they are only seedlings and i think you might be burning them up. thats what it looks like to me at least. 2 300 watt equivalent cfls is more then needed and if you have them too close it will cook em

3 Likes

cannabis doesn’t need a dark period (quote)
If it’s an auto-flowering, I agree.

2 Likes

@Niala Maybe you should check a little deeper into the subject because photos don’t need one either in fact it slows them down

If you’d like to discuss this somewhere else maybe start a thread but I don’t feel this is an appropriate discussion in the middle of this posters question,

…perhaps this link will help you better understand this topic ?

1 Like

Thanks for the link and enlighten me and educate me on cannabis growing, it’s really appreciate :+1::ok_hand::v:

1 Like

Yes, holes at the bottom and a couple on the side

Temp is 70-74F

Humidity %35-%45

Range from light is 3-4 inches

Miracle grow soil and I added a little Milorganite

The fan is too direct. I will push further away. So you think this curling is because of too much wind? Thanks :+1:

@DonaldjYes, holes at the bottom and a couple on the side

Temp is 70-74F

Humidity %35-%45

Range from light is 3-4 inches

Miracle grow soil and I added a little Milorganite

The fan is too direct. I will push further away. So you think this curling is because of too much wind? Thanks :+1:

Lights are CFL kept at 3-4 inchs

I wouldn’t use any clear containers light will kill roots

2 Likes

Not true @Muddduck1, indoor lights does not kill root since it’s mostly UV C that’s harmful for the cells and indoor lights do not produce them :innocent:

And UV are block by dense and thick material like plastic even translucid one and glass in the case of window … :wink: :innocent: :v:

1 Like

soil with nutrients added is not good for seedlings

2 Likes

When is the perfect time to add nutrients? Thanks

I think overwatering is the big issue. Miracle Grow is a time release soil and releases nutes with each watering. Seedlings come with their own food in the cotyledons so extra food can burn them.

I would let them dry - mg will act like clay and retain water longer than most soils. Only water with a spray bottle till the center of the cup is drying out.

Best option in my opinion is to get some good soil for seedlings like Ocean Forest Happy Frog and some one gallon pots and gently repot them with as little mg as you can.

MG is a soil that experienced growers can do well with but every new grower I see using it regrets it.

As for light timing I’ll leave that to the botanists. I use 18/6 and 12/12, personally.

5 Likes

Thank you so much, I’ll try repotting it :+1::+1:

Can cause mold

1 Like

@KingTut has holes on bottom and side that will provide a moisture that’s not too high if he properly water.

Moisture and darkness is the main cause of mold and indoor light in suffisant amount actually help to control moisture and by extension, mold .

However, you’re absoletly right some strain of mold do love light and will thrive under light and moisture but they rarely appear in a healty soil and inside :wink: :innocent: :v:

When you get a chance, download the Grow Bible. It has a lot of great info.

3 Likes