Wet or dry trimming?

Am interested in people’s thoughts on trimming while harvesting
Which is everyone’s pros and cons, wet or dry trimming

Love to hear people’s thoughts… Am in the middle of harvest :relaxed: :relaxed:

2 Likes

Dry trim for final trim before going into jars. I do very limited wet trim. Remove the stuff with stems. I keep all of the sugar leaves on the bud during drying and remove as necessary for curing. I find this to be much easier and faster than trying to prep a bud for curing while wet.

8 Likes

Depends if I’m making bubble hash or not. If so I trim it wet if not I trim it dry. Both ways have there cons the wet gums up your scissors, the dry it is harder to trim the finer leaves. Wet is a huge mess.

4 Likes

Depends. On humidity I live in a dry climate and dry whole plant minus fan leaves then cure in jars most people here wet trim but I find whole plant drying is easier and puts me into a 7-10 day dry as opposed to wet I can dry in 4-5 days to fast I also let the sugar leaves stay as they are covered in trichs

5 Likes

Thanks for that guys :relaxed:

1 Like

Me and my trim crew prefer dry trimming, not as sticky so trimmers don’t get gummed up as quickly and easier to handle, goes much faster for us. Dry trim also makes for a little slower dry, a good thing.

Get a trim bin for dry trimming and make hash

https://www.amazon.com/TrimBin-Harvest-More-Trim-Black/dp/B00L4NJSBE/

9 Likes

Dry for sure with me. Any you guys used the brush canna make never have I trimmed so easy. Just brush it off.

2 Likes

I do both as my plants are super big. So its a lot of work trimming something like this.

Picture is from about 1/2 way done flowering.

3 Likes

Freeze all trimmings and use bubble screens to get all the trics.

Amazon.com

3 Likes

I pretty much mirror @beardless I take the bigger leafs an leave all the sugar leafs for the drying process. It seems to work for me to get a slow drying process finish up with dry trim then jar up and cure. Good luck with your Harvest.

2 Likes

Once I saw what @Hellraiser collected while trimming I picked up a Trim Tray by Common Culture.
Dry trim sugar leaves

4 Likes

Do you dry the trimmings then freeze them?

Depends on what I want to use them for or how soon. Like if I want to make bubble hash with bags it doesn’t matter. Since they will go from frozen to ice water keeping the trichomes brittle. Since in water anyway drying isn’t necessary. Same with butane pulled rosin, doesn’t matter. If you are trying to do other dry methods that don’t include cold/solvents then I would dry before freezing. Freezing is just a pause button.

Like if you are just going to shake them through a micron filter or use dry ice. It’d probably be better to just dry. The point of freezing is so I don’t have to dry them. Plus once they are frozen for so long if you just crumple them up and lay them out flat they dry out within a day. Because the freezing water freezes mostly at the surface causing cracks on the interior. Ugh, I’m over explaining. The main part of freezing is to make everything brittle so you can easier separate the trichomes from the vegetation. Trichomes are already smaller than what most of your vegetation will ever crumble too. Hence micron levels. Cold=brittle=easier separation, dry=brittle also. So both help. But if I’m going to throw in a bucket of ice water… that kind of negates drying. Same with butane extraction, since that’s a whole different science. Brittle doesn’t matter at all. The THC is dissolved in the butane and then the butane recollected in a closed loop system, or vapored off into the environment in a non closed loop (wasteful). So moisture content really doesn’t matter there either. Since all items are stainless and water evaporates.

I guess open loop systems are easier to begin with. But I bet there many many out there who have spent more on wasted butane than a closed loop system where you recover it would’ve cost.

2 Likes

Very high proof grain alcohol, a sieve and time is another way where drying doesn’t matter to make an old school concentrate. I forgot how long you let it sit before you siv out the veggies and let the alcohol evaporate off. But I know 100% it’s explained somewhere here in these forums. Long way of saying you have options… lol. I do not dry my trimmings. No

Oh and before anyone says “open loop system” there’s no such thing as an “open loop” that’s a path… hence why I say "non closed loop,…

1 Like

Thank You for explaining, I have a lot of dried and frozen already and will have more in a couple of weeks and bought the bags to try and make the bubble hash. Since I already dried all the other and you said it doesnt matter I will just dry these too. Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it

1 Like

No worries. Honestly the whole bubble hash process is a two person endeavor, much more patience is required when solo. At least with my experience. Experience is the best teacher. It’s fine to do solo but takes more patience. Takes a long time for the water to drain out at lower microns. Just find what works best for you. Honestly my first two bubble hash batches where the best I ever made. Because I was patient and careful. It’s not popular around here though, hash isn’t appreciated in 2023.

I enjoyed it, ofc! But I don’t do this just for myself.

1 Like

Yeah I was stationed in Germany in the early 80s and remember real hash it has gone away as you said.

1 Like

There are, or used to be, hash loving threads on here where you can learn a lot. I know they are still here. I just haven’t been that active the last couple years. I like how the interface is more new user friendly. But when I search how I used to… it doesn’t work so well. But at least I occasionally pop on for questions.

Oh I also didn’t mention a lot of the older hash heads prefer hash over live hash. There is a terpine / flavor difference for sure. Non live hash will theoretically have higher L. Which is what you want from hash. The whole idea of rosin vs live rosin is that rosin is made from dried veg as to where life rosin is freshly cut. So live hash would be non dried. Which is less popular among hash users. So if you want old school hash, go dry. Live will entribute more strain flavors/side effects. Due to terpine preservation.

The technology we have today dwarfs that of the hash days. For me though, where I live, hash is easier/better. They pay nothing for concentrate here. Not worth my time.

Point being. It would be easier for me to buy/trade high level concentrate… Than to develop it myself. But it is legal here. And there is a scale level. Nothing is better than homegrown though. That’s a freedom that should be expressible by all.
'nother edit: not like it is hard. Just keep it local and do what you want. Experiment. No one ever shares their greatest secrets. Even if people like @Hellraiser do, doesn’t mean you won’t need to make your own adjustments. It really is about gathering the information you can and then forming it into a process that works well for you.

1 Like