Well water to use or not to use

I want to start using my well water to water my plants instead of constantly buying distilled… does anyone know the best way to test my water to see exactly what’s in it?

1 Like

Distilled or RO is easiest to deal with from a grow perspective, but check the water’s PPM. If it isn’t above say ~300, then go for it. You’ll just have to keep the PPM in mind when mixing feeding concentrations.

I used distilled a few years ago. Yes, constantly buying it is a PITA. I got an RO system and love it.

4 Likes

search your location in google for how to test your well water…you usually have to send it off and pay a fee for them to tell you what is in your well water

2 Likes

Thanks guys

I was going to do a RO system but I am not a fan of wasting 3+ gallons of water and may get between 1/4 to 1 gallon of RO water.

I just use a PUR water filter and it works perfectly with little waste. And to top it all off its $50 a month for just 2000 gallons tap which is all 2000 gallons sewer.

I could not imagine my water bill with a RO system when some plants of mine require 2 gallons per watering and that is zero tun off. This is also for daily usuage during flowering.

1 Like

Isn’t there a nute line that will take your water and tell you what’s what with it and how best to utilize their product line?? I feel like I read that in a thread but I may be imagining sh!t. I’m on system overload……:exploding_head:

1 Like

That’d be pretty cool if there was!

Im on a well and my plants love it. My ph stays around 6.2 to 6.5.

1 Like

Most well water is fine for growing. But if you want to know what is in it, JR Peters (the Jacks 321 folks) offer an analysis service. You can get info at www[.]jrpeters[.]com/lab-testing-services (Remove the square brackets)

3 Likes

Yes. That is the Jack’s stuff I just posted.

2 Likes

Thanks guys

1 Like

I use well water. The ppm is 179, and the ph is around 8, so I ph down with citric acid. Seems to work ok.

1 Like

Dont get a sample kit from home depot. They only test hardness and want to sell you a softener. You can go to your county health deparment and get a sample kit and for about 10 bucks they will give you lots of useful info. We use our well water but only after it gets filtered softened and then through an r.o. system thats just for the grow.

2 Likes

Rule of thumb is, If you dont want to drink it or bath with it, don’t use it on your plants.

3 Likes

I’ll drink it but my ol lady won’t lol

I use well water. Its PPM are around 180 - 200 and pH 7.8±. I am also want to send a sample the JR Peters Lab for analysis. I want to know more about its mineral contents. Namely calcium and magnesium. I think my water has loads of it.
I will be running a dehumidifier soon. I use its water with my tap water. This reduces ppm and tones down the Ca.

1 Like

I use to sell a lot of well pumps. I’m so glad I’m retired now… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have had a few pumps replaced too. No fun

1 Like

Just ph your well water to 6.4 to 6.8 and check PPMs of water and you should be fine if you have any questions after you get numbers from water just post your numbers and ask ?

1 Like

Especially when they 200 feet deep. Lol

2 Likes