Well. Think I had to do it

I am growing some autos in 3 gallon pots. Started the seedlings In 4 inch jiffy pots and put those inside the larger pots. but then I noticed water wasn’t draining well through them. Pulled them out and they weren’t decomposed and were causing my tiny plants to be root bound after 10 days. I pulled the jiffy pots off and a little of the root growth came off with it. They are now in good loose soil with drainage and a good amount of water. It’s been 12 hours and they look good still. Anything I can do besides wait. I’m using a small amt of natures only super soil concentration in a 1/3 coco 1/3 perilte 1/3 earthworm casting soil medium.

3 Likes

You probably saved them by removing the casing. :+1: :smiley:
I hate “starter” pods of any type.
This one went into 5 gal planter as a sprout about 2 weeks old here.

3 Likes

Nice looking plants. Thanks.

1 Like

I use jiffy pots for most everything I grow including peppers, tomatoes, corn, etc. When I plop them into their forever home, I’ll rip the bottom of the pot off. My theory is that it will encourage the root growth to go down instead of off to the sides where they will be more beneficial.

1 Like

Exactly the reason I avoid them. They get mushy and weird but in reality are too tightly woven to be any real use for a fast growing plant. If I was trying to start literal trees, maybe?

The long and short of it is all you can do now is wait, though. She’ll bounce back from any trauma losing a little root mass would have caused. :100: folks sometimes deliberately trim roots to slow growth, this is unintentional but the same concept. She’ll just lag a little bit while she heals up.

1 Like