Well Crapiola! I just broke off a major branch with only 2 weeks to harvest

Just while I was moving some lower branches so I could water the base of this auto, I broke a daggone branch off.

It’s 90% severed. Never broken one this late in the game before. 2 weeks to harvest. I taped it back in place (mostly) with electrical tape.

With the branch stems so mature and hardened this late, can it still mend itself?

I suppose worst case is it dries out and I harvest that branch early.

This is a photo before I snapped it off. Didn’t have the stomach to take a picture after the damage was done…just rushing in to try to fix it.

What are my chances of saving it at this late stage?

There’s definitely a chance to save it. Use bamboo stick and plumbers tape to support the break. Go way lower and higher than you would on a veg break.

1 Like

I think I naturally sort of did that…but probably not perfect. Several pieces of tape wrapped above and below.

It’s that bottom left one just to the left of the green training wire. A big sucker at a very acute angle. Lots of horizontal pressure with that locations.

I say Crap again!

Makes you feel like a dork.

1 Like

I would prepare it for smoking, just a test of what is to come.

2 Likes

Hard to see it in this close up, yellow points to the branch. Bottom to top of picture

2 Likes

Hard to say based on pics… but love the purple it’s what I hunt for :100::evergreen_tree::white_check_mark::purple_heart:

3 Likes

You may be OK I’ve done that and they heal up in a matter of days if left alone. Hey you may just increase the potency for that plant. Some do things like running a chopstick or dowel right through the main stem. The theory is that the plant puts out THC when distressed. Ice water flush pre harvest is another. Actually “super cropping” is breaking the stem internally while leaving the stem walls in tack…same distress theory = more THC etc…

2 Likes

That’s the spirit! :+1::sun_with_face:

3 Likes

It’s in the hands of the weed gods now but can survive. I just wanted to recommend vet wrap for healing broken stems. Much easier to wrap than tape of any kind.

I also like to put a dab of makuna honey on the wound.

Good luck! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

At least it’s far enough along that if it doesn’t heal, you can still smoke it.

3 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking too.

And I can count the weight in to see if I get a record amount I’ve been hoping for

This is what I’d do.

Yep, Kushman calls this his chiropractic training.

2 Likes

If its taped back in place real good and sealed from air it should keep right on going like it never happened. I use teflon tape and wrap it like an ace bandage. A little honey or aloe helps if you have some close by.

2 Likes

This or aloe vera I’ve read. Is the snap closed back up good before you taped it in place? Best wishes on the healing!!

1 Like

How sure are you re 2 weeks to harvest. Do you have some trichomes photos to post? That plant does look close but You may be 3-4 weeks till harvest .

2 Likes

Trichomes check: 40% clear, 55% milky and 5% amber. Well, that’s my best estimate of what I see.

By the way, the cola looks pretty good at 24 hrs after the break. Fingers crossed .

Let us know how it goes. Im sure I’ll eventually end up in a similar situation.
Also, some folks recommend silica to strengthen branches to support big flowers. Are you feeding Silica? Thoughts on that?

1 Like

The branches seem to be fine with respect to strength.

The problem was my absolute clumsiness.

2 Likes

Is the 5% amber on buds or sugar leave? I see a few white pistils. If your amber is on buds not leaves, you may go 3 weeks possibly. What do you think?

1 Like