Weird water intake

Hey guys just a couple questions and a theory or two lol. My girls are about 11 weeks into veg and I’ve been watering every other day for several weeks now. Yesterday I was a tad late getting to them and they were very thirsty and droopy. I watered them to run off and checked again this morning and 3 of them were almost dry. I have them a little more water to hold them over until after work. So my questions are, is it normal for them to start drinking faster the older they get? It has actually been less hot the past couple of days and temps are down from the normal 77 in the tent to 75 so it’s not that. I also noticed my soil seemed kind of compact, is it possible the dirt is too compacted and the water isn’t getting down in there? I’m trying not to soak them and also trying to get them flipped to flower, but I wanted them to look normal and healthy before I flipped them. Im using happy frog soil and I’ve also noticed my soil level has gone down a bit, would it cause any harm to throw a cup of soil on the top? I’m a little worried the compact issue has caused them to lean slightly. I will know more when I can get in there tonight and really look at them but just curious if any of this sounds normal/common?

As they get older it won’t hurt them to water frequently. The soil may have become compacted, and the water is running around the root ball, and not through it.
I usually water slowly, wait for it to soak in, while watering another, then come back to it. It does take a while to water, to verify that the water is going through the soil, not around it.
If you water more frequently, the soil won’t become “hydrophobic” and will be able to absorb water more readily.
You can throw some soil on top if you want. Won’t hurt a thing.

2 Likes

@Vance420 (down from the normal 77 in the tent to 75) wow, personally, I think that’s to hot tub. Try run 65-68 see what your girls do. Gosh don’t give them a heat stroke. Just saying. Maybe heat baked hard top soil is reason compacted. But what I know, I’m not there.

1 Like

@Draco1 @Vance420
That’s way too cold. Cannabis prefers warmer temperatures. Here’s where my temps and humidity run.

@Covertgrower Ok, according to your graph, must be at night, I see that you do drop to 68 and 69 temps. It’s ok, we all are experimenters… We try it, and if it works, it works.

That was a one week example. Most of my other weeks ran a little hotter. You can see the downward trend in humidity, as I went into flowering. I finished up, and heading back into veg.
Here’s a few months shot:

Good log, keep up the good work. You are doing great. You can chat with me anytime. And no, I’m not being a smart ellick, everybody has different methods of doing things. Your environment may be different than mine. The choices we make are based on what works at the moment, everyone is the same in that aspect of view.

2 Likes

@Draco1 my girls have been loving it at 77, a few times it bumped up before I had my ratio right and they seemed good up to about 81. It has dropped to 67ish and they didn’t respond well but like you say different environments I’m sure. Nothing has really changed but they seem to be using more water. Let’s hope they are just growing and using up the water lol.

@Covertgrower what would you recommend for humidity during flower. Mine stays between 50 and 55 most days but has been known to jump a bit both directions. I’m thinking I need a dehumidifier to keep bud rot from becoming an issue. Hoping to flip them to flower tonight as long as they look good at lights on.

Air flow movement is key, but anything under 50% is recommended.

1 Like

@Covertgrower alright I will start looking for a dehumidifier or any bootleg ways to lower it asap. I have a couple of stationary fans hung from the top racks for air flow now that gives them a breeze but I only have a big fan that wouldn’t fit easily and then a small stationary fan that doesn’t oscillate so not sure I can make those work lol

Can you water from bottom up?

1 Like

@Life1 I have no idea honestly lol. Never done it and this is my first grow. Is that where you just pour some in the drain container and let it slowly soak it up?

1 Like

Lol, this one made me laugh a little. No pretty much dehumidifier and air conditioning, is it for lowering humidity.

I think you’re alright with this. Mine doesn’t move. It’s not aimed directly at the canopy but down into a corner. Seems to be okay, on low. All of my oscillating fans died and became non. lol. So they’ll oscillate for awhile…

1 Like

@Covertgrower I may try to out the one on the ground just pointed up to create more air flow and see how it goes. I have honestly never bought a dehumidifier but I’m assuming they make one with some type of thermostat or whatever it’s called so that it cuts off when it gets to a certain point. I flipped the switch tonight so let’s hope things go well lol

There’s a device that Monitors relative humidity, you set it to say 50% it’ll run until it senses 50%.

1 Like

@Covertgrower let’s hope I don’t screw this up too bad lol. I feel like I’m not quite in the home stretch but I can at least see the finish line at this point.

1 Like

Yes
Sorry it took to long to get back to you
New to the firm and I thought I get a notice you asked a question