Weird problem persists; leaves browning from center outwards

Hello everyone, trying again to see if I can get this sorted, although I know it’s late in the game to be addressing it for this plant. I’ve tried to solve it the entire grow, even with posting on here, yet it has persisted.

The issue is that the leaves get brown blotches primarily from the center of the leaf outwards (not really the tips like nute burn). Often times you can also tell which leaves it’s about to happen on, because the spots that turn brown seem to go dark green/black first. It’s random, can happen anywhere on the plant with no pattern or isolated region. I have posted my runoff/soil ph/TDS measurements in my old posts which are all in good places, yet I’ve also been told from very successful growers that measuring those things is not even needed or relevant when growing in soil like the FoxFarm ocean forest and that I shouldn’t even be worrying about the PH of the water with a soil grow (even though I have kept it in a good range). I was also told nute burn shouldn’t be an issue in an organic grow where I wasn’t adding nutes.

In my old posts here, I was told it looked like calcium deficiency, so I have used cal-mag ever since as advised. But as you can see, we’re 3-4 weeks into flowering and the problem persists. Normally, I would trim the leaves that had developed the brown spots when watering; I water it every Sunday and Wednesday. But now that it’s in flower mode, I was told you have to be more careful as it won’t replace the leaves I trim like when it was in veg and is more sensitive to stress.

For 3-4 weeks into flower, the bud sites are looking frosty as hell but don’t seem to be “stacking” well, and multiple sugar leaves right next to buds have begun exhibiting this browning problem. I don’t like it, makes me nervous, and I don’t like that the problem remains unidentified and unresolved despite many attempts to get help solving it.

Anyone? Thanks in advance for the help!

1 Like

@Covertgrower @CoyoteCody @Mote @peachfuzz

1 Like

What kind of lighting do you have?

1 Like

Here’s a link to my very first post about the issue; I went in depth in the OP about the history of the plant and the setup: https://support.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/t/first-time-grower-need-help-diagnosing/47097

Thanks for your help!

Are you supplementing calcium? Seems like this has been a battle the whole grow.

Same light?

1 Like

Yes, as I mentioned in this new post, it’s been plaguing me the entire grow and I’ve been using cal-mag blended as per it’s directions ever since being advised to do so on that original post I just linked you to. Same light also, yes. I thought it could be light burn, but I was told the light I had could even be considered underpowered for this single plant so I wrote light burn off. Driving me crazy I can’t identify the issue!! :pensive:

I wouldn’t, I’ve had a blurple and I was able to burn a plant or two. But I also didn’t see in any of your old pictures unreasonably close to the plants. Unless you got less than 18” inches I really don’t think it’s light burn.

I do believe you that you’re feeding calcium, but I’m seeing what looks like a calcium shortage since the beginning. Something must not have changed between then and now.

I’ll tag a few others for input.
@dbrn32 @Myfriendis410 @MattyBear @MrPeat @Hellraiser

1 Like

That does look like light burn to me.

3 Likes

Calcium def along with possible potassium (K): I say that because K regulates temperature at the leaf canopy and those are definitely burned.

Did you do a Support Ticket? Lets see what you have.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner :slight_smile:

Thanks!

6 Likes

(And also to @MrPeat)

I thought it could be light burn but in my other post looking for help with this problem I was told the light is underpowered and recommended I buy more powerful lights. You can understand how being told I had underpowered lights on here lead me to believe there was no way it could be light burn. You can also see in that linked thread how high my light is from the plant (pretty high up, IMO). The plant exhibited these issues both with the light on only veg switch and with veg + flower switches both on.

1 Like

As requested, “Support Ticket” info:

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
    “THC Bomb”

• Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
    50% FoxFarm Ocean Forest, 25% FoxFarm Coco, 25% Lava Rock; blended in 4:4:4 organic fertilizer as per it’s instructions and myco as per it’s instructions. Later top-dressed with dolomite lime as per advice here.

• Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
    3gal fabric pot

• PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
    Water PH is 6.0-6.5 (distilled with cal-mag added), runoff is 6.5. TDS of runoff at last measurement was 1554.

• PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
    N/A

• Indoor or Outdoor
    Indoor tent.

• Light system
    Phlizon LED Grow Light

• Temps; Day, Night
    Day avg 74-78, Night avg 68-72

• Humidity; Day, Night
    Day avg 50%, Night avg 60%

• Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
    Tent is located in spare bedroom, no central air.

• AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
    AC running 24/7 set to 72, De-humidifier running 24/7 set to 50%.

• Co2; Yes, No
    Yes, hanging Exhale bag above tent air intake path.

1 Like

To me it does look like light burn. I’ll wait to see what others have to say.

1 Like

Through looking around I’d like to say a PH fluctuations added an image for reference this said it could be accompanied with a magnesium/calcium deficiency no expert just calling what I see .incorrect-ph-cannabis-sm (1)

2 Likes

It’s possible your medium is sequestering calcium so one easy thing is to up the cal mag dose or frequency. I don’t see anything else that jumps out at me right now. Light burn is a possibility as stated so keep your distances and watch for stretching.

1 Like

The patterning is somewhat similar in the leaves you’ve pictured there, but those look to be yellowing prior to browning. Mine actually darken to a very dark green, almost black before turning brown. I’ve taken some new photos I’m going to post below. Thank you for chiming in, appreciate the help!

1 Like

Can you explain to me how we went from your advice that my light is underpowered to could be light burn? This issue has existed the entire grow, as you know.

Under powered light too close to plant will absolutely cause light burn.

1 Like

Opened the tent today to find the problem getting much worse. I’m pretty bummed at the moment.

I have taken new photos showing its current state as well as light positioning above the plant as it’s been.

I also took a photo showing the early signs of the issue, you can see the leaf turns very dark before turning light brown, no yellow is involved. I also noticed, this symptom is happening on leaves which are shaded/covered, even at the bottom of the plant, so how could that be light burn?

I’ve increased watering to every 2 days and added an extra shot of cal-mag to the water.

If it’s a calcium deficiency, what could cause the plant not to uptake enough since I’ve been dosing with calmag the whole time with no changes?

You’ve seen the light position though, it’s not too close. How can an underpowered light cause light burn? I’m trying to learn. “Light burn” to me reads as though you have to have too much, like sun burn on a human. So if a light is underpowered and not ridiculously close, how could light burn result? How can light burn happen on leaves underneath the canopy which are shaded?

No; you have something else going on. It really looks like Calcium and all I can figure is you have a hungry cultivar, and something in your soil blend is sequestering calcium. You also could have a root bound plant that is starving for nutes but your runoff TDS of 1,500 ppm says differently. If you had a PH lockout that would be an issue. Have you had a departure from nominal pH at some point? Really that is all I can think of.