Week 4 flowers smell like wet mop! HELP!

So I have been coming into my grow room for the past week or so and notice a funky smell, not in a good way! not sure if this is normal but my flowers have a funky, mop like smell. I made the switch to 12 - 12 back on August 18 when I noticed pistils starting to form so, almost 4 weeks from switch. Weird thing is, when I put my face in the flowers I get that nasty Funk but when I touch them, my finger smells like candy and NOTHING like the mop/dirty sock smell. Humidity in my grow room hovers between 47 and 53% mostly. Was told my grow room could be up to 60% humidity until two weeks before Harvest, then I should drop it down as low as possible. Temps never go over 78°. I have one oscillating fan blowing on the front of my girls and another inside the closet facing the wall to keep air circulating. I water only when pots feel light, usually right before they start to droop. Smelled the soil in all of the pots and it does not have a funk to it, only the flowers themselves. Is this something anyone has ever experienced?? My last grow was about 8 years ago and I vaguely remember smelling this same type of Funk. Hopefully it just wears off but if anyone has any experience with this, please offer insight. I accept all info… thanks in advance!

Forgot to mention, the strain with a particularly stronger smell is Strawberry Cough. The other two plants are from bag Reggie weed. They also have a smell but just slightly

Could be a certain terpene. Strawberry Cough usually has a bit of berry smell. Mine did.

2 Likes

Are you in a tent that has a reflective liner on the floor?
Could be some moisture between the liner/floor causing the funk.

2 Likes

Hey Covertgrower thanks for the help. Yeah I was hoping it was something like that. Funny thing is, when I actually touch the flowers, my finger DOES have a berry/candy smell. On the other hand, if I were to just walk up and put my nose by the flower, I get a wet mop to the face! I did notice today that the more humid it is, the more I can smell it

1 Like

So I have one of those heavy-duty trash bags on the floor. The grow area is a closet in one of the bedrooms. I have Diamond mylar on the walls only, and a trash bag on the floor. I looked crazy as hell earlier down on all fours smelling the floor and smelling the pots! Did not smell anything down there. only when I stick my nose on the flower do I get that smell

2 Likes

Different phenotypes different smells as everyone’s noses are more sensitive and interpret smells differently…

3 Likes

Yeah, I can’t really smell the dankness of the strains I’ve been growing a while. I’m desensitized.

Great you’re nose blind :rofl::rofl::joy::joy:!!!

2 Likes

It’s terrible. Seriously.
My friends all comment on how you can smell my house when driving up the street. I can walk right in the flower room and barely detect anything.

I open a jar of cured bud… almost nothing. Sometimes chocolate, Campbell’s soup, mint, but no dank.

3 Likes

But someone opens a small jar of a strain I haven’t grown… boom. Full on dank smell.

2 Likes

Thanks for the assistance guys, I do appreciate it. Although I do understand different people may interpret smells differently, I really don’t think that’s the case here. My wife smells the same thing I’m smelling on these flowers. There’s really not much on the internet regarding this issue so looks like I’ll be playing the waiting game and seeing what happens. Hopefully it’s just due to the stage they are in currently. Also, I’m going to be setting up a DIY CO2 dispenser because up to this point, I’ve had none in here. Hopefully my girls pull thru and start making some of that good stank!

Enriching co2 is fairly useless unless you have your grow environment completely dialed in and have more ppfd than a blurple panel.

3 Likes

I’ve got a 2000 Watt bestva led which is equivalent to 1400 watt HPS… is this what you were referring to as a blurple panel?

I am fairly new to growing cannabis but not growing. I currently have a 30 ft by 150 ft Market garden with 12, 50 ft rows of tomato plants alone. On top of that I have a 40 by 40 foot plot where I grow CBD hemp flower. I know cannabis and tomato plants/hemp are very similar which is why I’ve had no issues with my grow besides this mop smell. Please don’t think im just a noob that doesn’t know what he’s talking about but rather, a grower that noticed something incredibly odd and exactly as I explained. These flowers have a sour type of smell. These plants all had a skunky smell before I switched them into flower. Since the switch that skunk smell has dissipated and I’m left with this weird sour tainting my nostrils every time I enter the grow room. Anyone else have any ideas??

2 Likes

I had a plant I transplanted from outdoor soil to indoor tent coco coir/ autopot hydroponic system and the plant, a SFV OG girl, smelled very nice and piney outdoors, after the change to hydro, the plant smelled of decaying tobacco!! It really had a very unpleasant smell for a week then reverted back to a nice smell and buds are popping frost and doing well.

Hey man that’s crazy! Turns out mine went through some weird phase where they smelled sour but when I finally harvested, everything was and cream! It’s crazy the things you learned about these plants just through experience. Thanks for the feedback brother, happy growing!