Weed that was weed . . . now receiving care. A question or two

Hi. Brand new grower. I threw a single (bag) seed in last season’s 2 gal. empty tomato pot back in November or December. I didn’t notice, water, or care for it, until March. Then I ordered FoxFarm trio on-line, and have been alternating Grow Big with Big Bloom. Holding off on Tiger Bloom. I’m watering every two or three days.

Does the fertilizing sound right? Fox Farms directions say: “Switch to Tiger Bloom® at the first sign of bud development.” But it’s only April. Don’t I want to encourage more vegetative growth, even though I’ve got some buds?

The fertilizing has definitely changed this lady’s path of growth. She was small, stunted — but beautiful, and hearty. After fertilizing for a month, the new growth has already outpaced the original growth, which is four or five months old.

What is the strain and type?
Bag seed from friend’s last season home grow. Probably indica.

Indoor or Outdoor?
Outdoor in 2 gallon container. She receives full sun for most of the day.

Soil or Hydro?
My wife tells me the soil is: Nature’s Care Organic Bed Soil

pH?
Not tested.

Type and strength of nutrients used?
Fox Farm Big Bloom alternating with Fox Farm Grow Big. Per directions — 16 oz. of water at a time every two or three days. Typically early morning water. (Sometimes late afternoon.)

Temperature? Day vs. night temp or highest and lowest temps? Root zone temps?
California Bay Area, which is why I decided to keep - LEGAL NOW!!! Daytime temps: 55 to 75. Nights: 50 or so.

Humidity %?
Unsure. Been fairly rainy this season.

Number “weeks/days” from into Season, Vegetative Growth or Bloom/flowering?
Been growing for four to five months. Not sure how to categorize stage. Vegetative AND flowering? She’s been growing much bigger since I started fertilizing.

First growth looks very different from newer growth.

1 Like

Newer growth:

So, joining the forum and posting this at least got me to think about the best strategy for the lady. I’ve come up with a plan anyway, . . . unless somebody yells a big “NOOOOOO!!!” after I post this! :slight_smile:

I’m going to prune/harvest the old growth above the top off-shooting branch right away. It doesn’t seem to be growing like the rest of the plant. Continue the vegetative fertilizing (6,4,4) for a short time. Maybe until the summer solstice? Then switch to the Tiger Bloom (2,8,4) for the summer.

Wish me luck!

Looks good so far man ( I’m not sure on the fertilizer for I make my own) keep us up to date dude we all love to see a beautiful tree reaching it potential,
Happy growing

Here’s plant number 2. Maybe 5 or 6 weeks old. Looks male. Agree?

It could be a hermi too wait a few days before you kill her

Thanks Stoneherbal! I’ve suspected “she” was a he for a week or so. This morning, the pods have become even more pod-like! It’s a sad thing – to take care of a plant, and then have to kill it.

That is true hey, I would just plant it on the other side of the house till the heads/seedbeds are about 2or 3 inches and dry it for a tobacco replacement

Kill it before it matures or there’s a possibility it will come back to bite you in the a$$ later on with your next grow… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

How so if I may ask

Pollin has a tendency to stick around and stick to everything for quite awhile… :angry:
And can travel up to 5 miles… :rage:
It’s useless to you unless your a breeder… :wink:
Your call…

1 Like

Yeah. I hated to do it, but I pulled the male and put him to compost.

2 Likes

Well technically you didn’t kill it , it will give the rest life

Only 5miles dam I was under the impression that it travels forever until it hits rain

I imagine that it could travel farther do to wind and several other things I’m sure , but that’s just a ruff guestamate for outdoor cali growers… :wink:

Here’s the current state of the garden

1 Like

Using fabric pots now, thanks to @Sasquatch!!

1 Like

The 1 plant on the left is the old girl. She’s SO odiferous! Her new growth has always lightly flowered as she grows, though the flowering is subsiding a bit, as she moves more vegetative. Very gentle LST.

The two pots on the right have a total of seven plants (3 and 4) and haven’t sexed yet. I was going to wait til I could figure out how to name the ladies to transplant, . . . but decided they were getting too big, and I needed to go ahead! I’ll remove males (gently and respectfully) when they show. Which brings up an interesting question regarding odds:

7 plants. Presuming 50/50 chances; odds of three or four females? About 55% chance.

Odds of ALL females (or NO females for the glass half-empty types)? 1/128

1 Like

I had 2 male out of 7 last year. growing Fems this time around

1 Like