Watering with well water vs pH water

Well just something I noticed. I noticed that I have well water that I make sure I have the perfect pH do it all the time. I understand the reasoning behind have the right pH with lock out and the other host of issues. I take time and carefully measure out my nutrients and just generally take care that my plants are doing good. I have a friend who also uses well water but he doesn’t pH his water. As far I know he uses whatever for nutrients if he ads any. His plant are growing good. It is just something I notice and before this grow my buddy did even less when he just put them out in the woods in a sunny spot. Not sure what my point is but it seems possible to grow cannabis in many different ways. Maybe he has magical well water or something.

5 Likes

I have well water, but its naturally a higher ph than mj likes, so I add my organics, and balance the ph. My plant might do ok without my efforts, but I know she is doing great because of them. She is almost ready for harvest and looks so good! Many of the people here have been doing this for some time, and if they could grow great herb without giving it their best effort, they would be. I cannot attest to your friends good fortune, but for me, I will stick with what the experts say.

4 Likes

I’m sure you could grow outside nominal conditions but yield and quality may suffer severely! So all the TLC does is maximize the potential of your investment. That’s really the best way to look at it IMO. And there is easily a point of diminishing returns, too. We also many of us look at this as a hobby too (my hand is raised :blush:). From that standpoint I KNOW I’ve spent money I didn’t need to just because it was cool haha.

5 Likes

I agree with you. I listen to the experts. They have certainly put the time in to knowing what works or doesn’t work.

1 Like

Yes definitely a hobby for me too. The unfortunate thing about my friend is he may lose a lot to bud rot.

1 Like

I’ve seen people who grow outside and inside and don’t ph anything, and do great. Some people are lucky.

2 Likes

Yep, agree with everyone else. There are several possibilities. Naturally ph correct well water, amendments can buffer the ph some, or its entirely possible he’s losing out on yield and/or quality.

I would not look at it as an example to support not monitoring ph though. We should want to control as many variables as possible.

2 Likes

I suspect putting a plant in the ground is more forgiving than in a pot. In the ground, the plant can spread out and find the nutrients and water it needs. In a pot, you have to supply them. I hope he put a cage around his plants or at least peed around them. Deer LOVE young cannabis.

1 Like