Watering With Cold Water

How cold can my water be when feeding? I’m growing in Coco Coir.

1 Like

Warmer your water is the better your nutrients will dissolve in it. I usually try to keep mine about room temp. When it’s warm outside will let it sit out there for little bit.

4 Likes

How low is too low?

1 Like

Not sure as I’ve had no problem letting water sit to equalize. But you don’t want to shock roots with cold water in the middle of a grow.

3 Likes

I wasn’t paying attention and watered at 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Yikes.

I’ve been filling a 5 gallon bucket at the Glacier dispensor down the street. I accidently left it outside a few nights ago. It took forever to mix my Jacks, but I think the water was like 60°, plants haven’t missed a beat.

2 Likes

Once probably not going to hurt much, and that’s not ridiculously cold either.

3 Likes

My water is from a well and can be on the cold side. I try to let it sit a day before using. On occasion I have to add hot water to bring up the temp.
Also use coco

3 Likes

I also run my tap water a day ahead of time an mix nutes day of feeding. :+1::v:

3 Likes

8 Likes

The question is, at what temp is root growth affected at? I think for cannabis in High Times late 70s it was under 60 degrees,. HT then noted root growth to stop below 60.

I wonder if that is ball park today with hybrid crosses with ruderails being from Siberia and further studies

We watered few weeks ago with very cold water, we had serious frosting next day, i mentioned it somewhere with pics posted.

Since then, guys talking uva that adds frosting, the part i want more info on is: the frost was mentioned as a self defense mechanism for cannabis. Very interested on learning more.

1 Like

All this needs to be put in proper context. A single watering into media may drop temp some, but will also equalize and then be processed. As opposed to something like a hydroponic grow where roots will constantly be submerged into solution would be much different. A cold watering may have some negative effects but could just be temporary. This thought of purposely applying cold water to help frost has been debated here many times and I promise not everyone feels it’s a worthwhile strategy.

3 Likes

I use captured rain water. Question is there is a slime in the water bucket, does this help or hurt the plants. I mean does the slime somehow help the rainwater?..
First time grower so thanks in advance for any info you could offer

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I don’t know, maybe some outdoor growers might … @JaneQP

Welcome to the forum @jim_palmore .

Not sure what slime does to a plant. Those that have watering device in place most likely say taboo on slime causing plumbing clogs.

Welcome aboard.

1 Like

I have the water in a bucket with a fish tank aerator in in and I dip the water out of the bucket

1 Like

Slime is due to bacteria and it may also contain algae. There are beneficial types of bacteria. Those producing slime is not one of them. Suggest not using it in your soil. Root health is extremely important for a productive grow.

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Thanks for the tag @Twelve1

There are a lot of slimes that can form in water. One is the pink slime you find in wet areas in your house. toilets/showers. There are iron bacteria slimes and I think one that feeds off sulfur.

I don’t think it would hurt plants but may clog your dispersement system.

If it is on top of of the water you could maybe skim it off?

I am not an expert in this area butI have watered plants with brackish water that had been sitting a few days/weeks without problems.

1 Like

I rinse the bucket out every time I refill it I just didn’t want to be washing away good stuff the plants like

Use hydrogen peroxide in the storage bucket.