Watering with BTI and/or nematodes

Just say when/where

1 Like

Roger that. Hope you’re doing ok storms we’re a bitch.

1 Like

Looks like round 2 went somewhere else. Still no power. Im wondering how the darkness will affect the grow

Hey all @BigCat420 @Allinherhead @MidwestGuy Since we discussed asking stupid questions, here is one.

I got a mg issue showing and I wanted to use epsom salts. But my searches online are all over the place relative to the dosage and application.

I can water direct (seems ideal for me as I am early flower, maybe now) or foliar spray, do they have the same ratio?

1TSP per gallon is what I have read the most, but again its all over. Love to hear if you all use it and if you use it as a preventative as well, what your process is.

Have a great Sunday happy growing.

Tim

1 Like

High :v: I’m just passing thru I know ya didn’t ask me but, I use Epsom salt at 1tsp per gallon every watering up to 3tsp/week to prevent a mag deficiency and increase terps.
Also, I use nematodes both in my grow and in my lawn and flower beds. It helps keep the fungus gnats at bay in my grow and outside I use them to combat Japanese beetle, flea and tick larvae. Have a great day :v::green_heart::seedling:

1 Like

Thanks @GreenJewels I appreciate that. I just tag those who have been in the discussion but of course welcome more insights!

So why the 1-3 swing, is it 1 as a preventative then 3 if the deficiency starts to show (interveinal chlorosis? just learned that term I’m so fancy!)?

On the nematodes, I presume the epsom won’t affect these guys? I got mine in the mail from good guys or something, they came a day late and the ice pack was melted but they said they will be fine as long as they are refrigerated until usage. Who knows, but I plan on applying them but wanted to address this mg def first (unless I can kill two birds).

It seems like on the nematodes, as long as whatever you are using is organic you can mix along, its when you start to introduce synthetics that things could go wrong. I could be off base here.

Thanks again for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

I only add epsom a couple of times in flowering. The sulfur in it is also a micromutrient. Plants get plenty of magnesium via cal/mag.

1 Like

That is my understanding also. I do know, the living soil pots that I introduced nematodes to, don’t have a fungus gnat issue. I later added another earthbox and it was swarming with fungus gnats yet my other pots with the nematodes were unaffected by the gnats. Imo, nematodes work.
Also they must not have cared about the epsom salts. I’ll be ordering more nematodes soon for the new additions. I wonder if I can somehow transfer some nematodes from old pots to the new ones somehow. Well I may have to research that :thinking::grin:

I mist the top of my living soil pots daily when able at least every other day. That water contains 1tsp/gallon of ES. My end goal is for a total of 3 tsp of epsom salt in a weeks time. With misting the top of the soil and watering. I have only put epsom salt in my earth box’s when they’re showing a deficiency.

1 Like

Thanks @MidwestGuy Ive been adding 1tsp/gal almost every water since I am using RO, and I have a decent mg def. And want to go full organic so epsom keeps popping up. I think I will do a foliar spray after lights out tonight and monitor to see how it goes. Looks like it has benefits as @GreenJewels mentioned for preventative and overall lush green plants in veg.

1 Like

Do you know if this effects the microbes? I was thinking bottled cal mag killed the microbes but I could be way off? I use water soluble calcium made from eggshells and epsom salt for my cal-mag. I appreciate the info :v::green_heart:

I’m sure they will love the foliar feed. It is the quickest route

1 Like

I’ve never heard of this.

Thanks @MidwestGuy , I’d like your response if I had some likes :grin::+1::v::green_heart:

1 Like

Ive just read/heard that the non-organics will/could harm the microbes. Ive also read they are strong and bounce back or can be re-added via AACTs?

Thats the problem today, you can find one thing and another to contradict what you just read lol!

I was using FF and was using botanicare calmag, worked fine. Then bought the FF calmag which is OMRI/organic. But I am trying to do away completely with anything in a bottle if I can and stick to organic amendments moving forward.

My next run is full organic the plant in question now started in FF, but once I burned the nutes I used organic amendments. Was using that FF calmag but I am still showing the mg def.

Always heard about epsom, so here we are. Seems to have benefits w/o def in place such as lush green in veg and increased terps.

You guys are great thx for the good conversation

1 Like

The only type of products that I am aware of that add microbes is products like Urb. Be careful with them though. These type of products can dramatically increase nutrient uptake and in some instances can lead to nute burn.

The only thing I am aware of that kills microbes is hydrogen peroxide, which some people have added to their soil thinking it increases available oxygen for the roots. Peroxide will, without a doubt, kill off beneficial microbes.

2 Likes

I had a Seedbank include a pack of Recharge. Visiting the new shop locally that is full organic gave me some too. Did a little research and it looks to do a lot of good. Again take it for what it’s worth but lots of searches showed up lots of growers who swear by it.

I mixed it yesterday and it looked like a quick compost tea to be honest.

Check it out would love to hear your thoughts if you have come across this before

1 Like

Yeah, a lot of these products smell like sewage.

I’ve heard of Recharge, but have never used it. There are some big fans of Recharge here on the site. I use Urb, but I only use it sparingly after inducing nute burn at some point last year.

1 Like

Good to know, they claim while promoting uptake it won’t inflict burn. Not sure how that works lol.

I added it yesterday, it certainly didn’t kill her, yet. lol. I didn’t except it to fix my mg def but she is doing well overall. Ill snap some pics tonight before I do the foliar spray, assuming I get to it. Will report couple days later hope to see some difference.

Have a great day gang :peace_symbol:

2 Likes

Jacks is measured at 1.2 gra.s per gallon dont know why that wouldnt work.

Shit picture but here she is. Times it perfect right after a nice spray lights shut off and nice flow in the tent. Let’s see how she responds. Have a great evening folks!

2 Likes