Watering germinated seeds

I grew from clones last year with great success. This year with seeds not so much. My seeds germinate but I kill most of my seedlings with what I assume is improper watering. I put my germinated seeds into a starter pot with Black Gold seed starter mix and water with a 10ml syringe to make sure that the water goes to the correct place. I don’t know if I am under or over watering but most of my seeds do not grow. I considered just watering the entire pot til it drains but I fear drowning the kids. Suggestions?

I soak the seed 24 hrs and then place it in dampened soil. Not soggy, just damp.
Cover it with a dome and I dont water it till its up and above ground for a week at least. Once it sprouts as long as it can find moisture it will live.

2 Likes

Chances are you are overwatering. That’s usually what kills seedlings. Plant them in wet soil and give them a few days. I just give mine a few mls at the base of the plant every other day. Plain water. Wait until the top soil is dry…

1 Like

I was giving the kids 10cc of water every 4 hours
which is WAY too much judging from responses I’ve received. Thank you for the suggestions!

That is beyond way to much for a seedling. I will do about 5ml every day or two.

She apparently just needed some time to absorb the nutrients because she now has new healthy green growth. I know that MiracleGro is not an ideal fertilizer for cannabis but it was handy. I will switch to a more appropriate feed after she’s settled into her final pot and moved outdoors.

She’s growing healthily again but now I suspect that she won’t have time to achieve a decent size before flowering. We’ll see.