Watering/feeding how much?

How do you deside on how much water you should give your plants per feeding IE: a gallon, 1 1/2 gals??? Courious as I really dont know what parameters are involved in that decision???

Seriously there are so many parameters involved, it’s always different.
It depends on your growing medium, lights available, strains of the plant, humidity, heat and age of the plant. And probably more that I don’t know about yet…

2 Likes

It’s called experience and knowledge. Each plant is unique so for me there is no real written hard rule to feed and water plants.

I generally will use up to 1/2 gallon once the plant is big enough say at 1 month since it broke soil. Once the plant has flowers, you need to step up to 1 gallon per. Just watch your plants and be intune with their needs.

Practice makes perfection. I grow in FFOF.

3 Likes

What you have described I do exactly. Just dont know why??? I look at the plant (say after transplant and go hmmmmmm) and put in water. Just didn’t know if there is a science or excepted practices to make that desision? FFOF here as well.

Make it even simpler. More flowers the plant has, more water is needed. If you are getting run off, stop watering. The soil is soaked at that point. This can cause mold and mildew to form.

Some mention picking up the grow bucket and or fabric pot…if it seems light, feed and water. Rinse and repeat.

I don’t go by picking up the pot. I don’t finger test the soil. I use my knowledge I’ve gained from growing flowers, fruit trees and veggie garden since I was a kid.

Hence why I ask the question, I dont have that experience! LOL. Learning as I go. Trying to glean some reasoning behind all the info out there. Not having trouble judging when to water just trying to understand the thinking behind technics. I do water to runoff maybe 20% by volume out, need to water about every 3rd day so far. Using between 1 and 1 1/2 gals.

This is what you’re looking for. Especially when using liquid nutrients as this helps remove some of the salt build up. The amount of water it takes to get to that point will vary.

1 Like

I have noticed this. I started mixing 2 gal of neuts but may only use 1- 1 1/2 gals at the point where I get around 20% approx of course. Ot seems to vary each feeding. Now that she’s in full flower I expect it will drink more.

1 Like