Watering daily?

Hey y’all,
Quick question… I didn’t know if it was normal to have to water my plants daily (when temps are 80+) while growing in soil, in 15 gal smart pots? I went down to 15 from 20 gal pots this year because I bought Coast of Maine soil and shit is pricey. Anyway, I previously grew in Promix (which obviously has more peat, so it seems to hold water better) and the most I had to water was every other day.
Normal, or?
Thanks

15gal and watering every day WOW. I have 7gal grow bags and I water every 4-5 days, my temps have been between 85F-100F, But for the last week or so around 80F. Is this a outside grow with no shade?

1 Like

Outside, direct sun most of the morning through afternoon. The root ball fills the majority of the pots.

1 Like

If you are watering everyday you need to Pot up, it’s time for the big boy Pot 50gal LOL

Are you saturating pot when you water? Every day seems a lot for pot that size in soil.

3 Likes

I’m growing in 120L pails and am putting 8L in them daily due to excessive heat and humidity. My soil mix does contain 25% Promix HP though.

1 Like

Can’t transplant these, in smart pots, about a week from flowering, plus they’re huge lol

1 Like

I’m using between 1.5-2gals of water per day. They’re just drying out faster then I think they should. Also, once the sun is directly on them for more then an hour the tops get weak and droop. So I’ve been watering every time they droop, which is between everyday to every other day. 30 mins later, they’re standing up nice and tall again.

Yeah it’s been mid 80’s- low 90’s with higher then normal humidity the past few weeks.

Every other day doesn’t seem out of question, plus with way weather has been not surprising to need a little more from time to time. As long as you can keep up, let em rip.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you need supplement the soil with nutrients.

1 Like

Some strains like Northern Lights are humidity sensitive best to limit their exposure to direct sunlight.

1 Like

And yes if you are watering every day you’ll need to feed em more often

1 Like

Let the plants tell you if they are getting too much water. I have alot of yellow leaves, and I was previously watering everyday. I adjusted to less water on alternate days. If you let them get too dry, they will probably show some drooping leaves.

If you are growing in containers, the sides of soil will dry out first and shrink. Then if you pour alot of water in there it will flow down the sides and run out, without soaking into the soil. So maybe “prime” the soil with a little water first, …wait, then add the remaining dose of water.

3 Likes

I added fish bone meal and langbanite last week to get the soil ready for flower, I’ll be adding the same amount 5 weeks into flowering to keep that present. I also topped with seafood compost to cover the fish bone meal etc to protect it from pests.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I do a gallon to each of my plants then go around with another gallon in an attempt to “prime” the soil. I have a few natural leaf deaths at the very bottom, or interior of the plant where sun isn’t getting to, but no large die off of leaves.

I’ll take pics today and again tomorrow to show the difference.

2 Likes

Shit, I’ll get a closer one in a few lol

Well, my thoughts on the watering
your plants will tell you exactly when they are lacking water
if they are dropin, and you’re watering then they pop back up and then they droop again and you water again you’re doing exactly what your plants need,
The hotter the weather the more water they need don’t freak out you’re doing a good job like I said your plants will tell you when they’re lacking water, all you need to do is pay attention

2 Likes

I have plants in 15gal smart pots in a tent close to harvest but I only give them a gallon in a half and I had to water every day with constant temp around 78f

1 Like

Once I started saturating the soil with like 3 gallons then I can water every two or three days but by day three it’s drooping from thirst this was through my whole flowering stage and especially now since I’m flushing

1 Like