Watering and Feeding in Coco

Can you explain the charge with nutrients. I use bricks to add to my soil mix. I wash and soak in 7.5 ph tap water with 5 ml of calmag / gallon.
While experimenting with different brands of brick I find there is a wide range of characteristics. A national mass marketed brand of organic coir was so fine it took days for it dry when placed on a screen in the summer sun. I added this to my soil mix and did not like the results. Just too much water retention and dense for my liking.
I find that the bricks that say they are a mix of pith with long and short strands have water retention and aeration characteristics that I am looking for. thoughts? what do you use / recommend
I also see there are bricks of chips and fiber. I have not tried this product but wondering if it is an alternative to adding perlite if you are looking for a less dense form of coco. I would combine the above mix with chips and fiber.
On the other hand, if you are looking to retain more moisture and nutrients in coco, couldn’t you use vermiculite?

I recommend 5.8 it’s a soil less medium. Like hydro.

Fully hydrate and break down, with nutrients added.

I use canna coco bricks. But ready to use is okay too. It’s already buffered with calcium and ph’ed.

2 Likes

Generally, within 2 hours of lights coming on. That should allow plant to use most of solution throughout energy production process and allow root zone to get a little more oxygen throughout lights out period. There are some exceptions to where you may feed before lights out, but that is typically when doing multiple feedings per day.

6 Likes

Whatever you do…learn from one person because this entire thread is way to conflicting. Everyone has their own ideology about what works best. Do your research, investigate their grow journals, and select one person to help mentor you or get you started. Once you understand the basics then blaze your own trail.

4 Likes

That is what I liked in this thread. Different opinions will give me hints on what could work with me.

At the end I will take my own path to make errors and learn from them.

The idea of the mentor is good. But honestly I prefer to push a plant, burn her and torture her just to have more feeling on what to do in future lol.

I know a lot of growing theories but I know nothing :v:

5 Likes

Best info I’ve read so far lol

1 Like

I watch it happen every day. Great growers with conflicting thoughts confuse the shit outta new people. Lol

1 Like

The beauty of coco. So many different ways to use it

1 Like

I was influenced to try Coco and jacks by @dbrn32 and so far very pleased. I bought the Mother Earth HGC714837 Coco Plus Perlite Mix for Indoor and Outdoor Container Gardens, Provides Strong Aeration & Drainage 70% Coconut Coir, Resists Compaction, 50 Liter . I am in 5Gal bags in a greenhouse, and water/feed every two days. We live in the Southeast USA, and yesterday it was almost 80F. Right now I am sharing a gallon of water/feed between the two plants, and the Coco will be moist when I water again. Once they grow bigger, and depending on temps, I will water daily. This summer I had 105F+ on many days in the greenhouse, not good, but the Gorilla Glue plants in Coco did much better than three White widows in Happy frog soil.

1 Like

I am, for the first time, using the coco coir and it is amazing. My plants are growing and growing- thanks for all the support and great advice.

2 Likes

Well said!!