Watering advice

Does anyone have any advice on watering? Im about to start my first grow. I’m growing in soil. Do you guys use straight tap water? Or do you treat it somehow? Is there any products that you could recommend?

2 Likes

This one will be all over the place. I use tap water that has been aerated and heated to 70 F.
Others us RO, distilled, rain water, filtered tap water, etc.

Everyone has their reasons for their choice. Mine is simply convenience and the plants grow just fine.

I think the main thing about watering is to NOT over water, especially when they are young.

5 Likes

Agree tap water is an option but it is best to go to the provider , or look online for a water report for your area. There are many additives to be concerned with I did that and my ph is spot on out of the tap but I’m lucky.

2 Likes

I just finished my first grow. I used tap water and adjusted the ph levels using ph solution adjuster and checked with a ph meter. you need the correct ph level because that determines how a plant will absorb nutrients you give it.

4 Likes

Also if you fill up a bucket and let it sit for 24 hours that will allow time for any chlorine added to evaporate.

5 Likes

As others have said already knowing your PH is very important, and easily adjusted in many ways. I use PH up and PH down, cheap and easily obtained at Amazon. Another important thing to know is the PPM of your water. Tap water may be just fine. Our Tap water here at home runs between 7-800 PPM’s, way to high, since you will need to account for them when you start feeding. Chances are the plant will not use many of them and a possible nutrient issue down the road. I had to buy an RO Buddie system, around $60 at Amazon. and now have PPM’s in the 20 range, so when you feed you can accurately measure what the plant needs based on your chosen nutes and feed charts.

3 Likes

Yup! All over the board! Basically it’s how much yo want to spend (I used distilled because our tap water around here sucks and I won’t drink it)) What kind of soil are you using? If you are using a super soil, you probably won’t have to feed until around first flower. pH is the most important thing to watch, I would get a pJH meter and a TDS/ES meter. I used Fox Farms trio and Fox Farms pH Up and pH Down for my first two grows (and will on the next) but you will find along the way that you will need to address nutrient deficiencies that will require more purchases. I think the big one see around here is Cal/Mag - I had to use it because I used distilled water. Good luck!

3 Likes