Water supply setup for autos

So I’m about to do my first grow w/ three plants and I’m trying to figure out how much water I should have set aside for dechlorination, and is it worth getting a pump as well?

2 Likes

I’d figure a cup and a half per gallon of medium every other day or so with about 3/4 gallon per gallon of medium (for a good soak) every week or so. I use rain water and well water because our water company uses something other than chlorine…

3 Likes

It all depends on what stage of growth you are in. Come flower they will be drinking some water! I always kept an extra gallon just in case.

2 Likes

Ok good to know, thanks for the info. :call_me_hand:

1 Like

I rotate 5 gal buckets, collect some rain water as well as I keep a few gallons of bought distilled water just incase.

2 Likes

I have 3 plants, in 5 gal pots, and on average I was mixing up 6 gallons every watering/feeding. Now I’m in flower, so it’s roughly 9 gal, 3x a week :grin:
My next investment will be the adapter to hook a hose up to my sink, jugs of water are ridiculous lol

1 Like

Do you use a pump to diffuse chlorine?

No, I have a couple 20 gal totes that I dump water into, and just let it sit for a day or so. Then when I water I just agitate the water a bit before mixing in whatever additives I’m using, then pH and usually let sit again for a little while. Double check the pH, and then water the plants.

2 Likes

Interesting. Good to know, thanks for the info bro :call_me_hand:

Do you have issues with your tap water?

1 Like

I’m just starting my first grow, so just trying to get info I’m not completely clear on (OCD) I looked up what’s in my tap water and realized I have no idea what any of these chemicals are lol. But otherwise I think these guys answered my questions. Still not sure if I should invest in a little $20 pump or not though…

1 Like

I use straight tap water for feeding and mixing nutrients. I do have really good water at a PH of 7.1 and 50 PPMS.

I have a 50 gal plastic food safe barrel and I fill it with RO water. Needed a big reservoir for my fish tank as its a 36 gallon and I wasn’t gonna keep buying water to fill it but it definitely comes in handy. I also have a hand pump for the barrel. For me this is the most convenient method as my plants use about 5 gal a week currently

1 Like

My tap water is pretty bad, but aside from letting it sit out and bringing the pH in range, the plants don’t seem to mind it. My humidifier sure minded it though, valuable lesson learned there

1 Like

Wow! Crappy is an understatement if I’m interpreting those numbers?? Some great cultivators on here with similar water. Some dilute 1/2 with bottle but most spend about $60. Bucks on an RO buddy. Pretty sure my grow Bro @Low runs that :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

I actually run dechlorinated tap usually. Got sick of dealing with RO/Distilled 4-5 runs ago. :call_me_hand:t3: I believe the ppm of my water is 380-420 but had lab tests done to verify contents. No detectable chlorine. Highest context was calcium.

Appreciate that Brother, I couldn’t remember exactly what you were using :love_you_gesture:

You forgot to mention if you are in soil or coco. Coco will need a lot more that that once you are into flower. I use about 1 1/4 gallons every day in flower for a 5 gallon pot as an average. I think above are looking at you being in soil. I run ro most of the time. If I am doing a lot of top feed plants. I have to mix a 50/50 of Ro and tap to keep up. My tap is in the 535ppm range. So super hard. I used to mix in plastic 5 gallon water bottles. And used an air stone in them to help de gas it. If you have a full service car wash near you. They will normally give you an old 25 - 30 gallon container that their soap came in. If you get one. Make sure to get one that had soap in it and not wax. @Myfriendis410 gave me one that he got. I fill it and work from it. I have a little pump in it. So a flip of the switch and I can fill a 5 gallon bottle to work with. I used to have to keep 8 five gallon bottles just to get through a week. :roll_eyes: If you have a high ppm of water to start like I do. An RO system is the best way to go. Even if you just mix. Having to drive down and fill a truck full of water bottles every week got old fast. Plus expensive at 2 bucks a bottle here. I paid for the ro system in the first month.

2 Likes

I’m growing in soil. I’ll think about investing in one of those as I progress and get a handle on things, seeing as this is my first grow.

1 Like