Washing bud after harvest?

First comes the trim and manicure, then the wash. I use cold tap water in a 5gal bucket. Nothing fancy, just a complete dunk with a shake. It’s hard to explain until you try.

The gentleness is directly relative to the bud at hand. Nothing too hard, but some buds are more dense than others, and may need a bit more aggression.

After I wash, I normally give her another shake over the bucket, to try to save some of the water, otherwise I’d be refilling the bucket too much.

Then she goes to hang and dry. In my case, the floor is normally covered in water, so you might want to come up with something for that.

Occasionally, I scoop out debris from the bucket of water. You will have some leaf clippings and broken pistils. You can scoop or dump and re-fill with fresh water. I like a bud more ripe, so most of the pistils are pretry burnt back to the bud, and fall off easy. The wash shouldn’t effect the trichomes at all.

The plant is fresh cut and manicured, so drying a bit of wash water isn’t even an issue. She’ll drip dry within an hour or so, and then just continue with full plant dry (normal drying for cure) time applies from that point on @ 7-11 days.

I try to post some pictures when I get some.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Thanks for that @Aquaponic_Dumme I was worried of the buds staying too wet but I see what you’re saying here, you explained it extremely well for me! Always a help, thanks man!
:evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::v:

6 Likes

I hang mine in my shower, kill two birds that way, so to speak :shower:

3 Likes

I also just finished up one of my Super Skunk plants. Hanging in the back closet and looking really fresh.
I too started out with a gentle touch but adapted as I went. Since I was concerned about little spots of PM on this plant I started with an dunking in an H2O2 solution , followed by baking soda/lemon bath , then the rinse. I got the hang and feel of it quickly and finished feeling good about it seeing what was coming off in the buckets.
I will probably eliminate the H2O2 next time (possible overkill) but this one plant had some PM in week 6 of budding so I figured it was a good test plant for the H202.

Thank You @david1954 , @Aquaponic_Dumme and to all in this thread for covering this step ( that I had never considered ) I love learning from all of you .

4 Likes

I’ve also been concerned about loss of trichomes because of a bubble hash video I watched. I’m guessing it’s not a problem to rinse because there is no real agitation?

Where I placed my Sour Bud is about 30’ from the limerock road in front of my house. I figured the privacy fence would help, but she’s covered in dust!

I’ve never had that problem before, so this year will be my first try. We’ve pretty much had no rain since Matthew came through. I don’t water from above after flowering starts, so I may have to gently rinse her twice.

Hi all,
I have done this method 3 times with 3 diff strains and eaxh time the buds look amazing! I think it actually helps them yo get quenched one last time and it seems to dry more evenly and holds flavanoids beyter as well. Lemon skunk, AK 47 and Cheese has been done and all were exquisite.
My solution is similar to other methods I have seen. Here it goes…3 5 gallon buckets. One filled with room temp water ( i correct my ph first for a couple reasons, get to that later) and in that bucket goes 1 cup lemon juice, and 1 cup baking soda. 2nd bucket jas hottest water from tap you can get with no additives. 3Rd bucket is ice cold water with ice cubes bit not too mich ice so it can be dunked easier. Okay now cut your buds with leaves still intact (or most leaves, or remove totally dead leaves) dunk a few times in 1st bucket, slightly swirling as you dunk it. Let it drip dor a few seconds and then dunk and awirl in hot water ( i usually do about 30 secs each bucket) finally dunk in the ice cold water and then hang from hanger in the lifht for a few hours until the water has dried completely. Place in your dry room as you normally would and be amazed by the cleanest herb you have ever ingested. Top quality medicine and it DOES NOT HURT TRICHOMES!
Now the reason i adjust the ph is so the plan will be happy until it goes in the dark and it makes sense to me…takes more ph down but still makes sense. I usually make my cuts a inxh above the nodes and an inch below and wash n hang all the buds on that node together with leaves still intact for the dunking. Then after 48 hrs in the dark, i trim all the bigger leaves and some of the larger sugar leaves and hang until dry, then curing jars. The only thing I hate is losing trichs in the jars (not alot, but still…lol). From 3 plants, I have made a few grams of hash just from what I collected in my grinder so far. I was amazed when I seen that I lost no trichs in the dunk. Try this out and let me know if you will never smkme a dirty bud again. Oh and wait until you see the bottom of the first bucket!

TH

5 Likes

Thanks mate, very much appreciated.

2 Likes

Does the lemon juice + baking soda kill mold and mildew off of the buds?

I dried my nugs after a few spots of dry rot. I trimmed it up and got rid of the bad bud. Once they dried I thought it’d b ok to try but now I wonder if I should wash my nugs to kill any leftover mold spores pls help !!!

h2o2 and h20 baths are good before drying. Not so good after drying

So what do I do then. It’s not like the whole thing had rot. It was like one or two lil buds that rotted and few tiny spots. It thought I caught it in time so I cut it and dried it. Think it’s safe to smoke now ? Or what shuld I do. I don’t want it to b a waste

That’s a tough question. I’ve thrown away anything that has any abnormal brown.
I’m just very hesitant to smoke mold.

I’ve cut out all the brown. And it looks good but idk if there’s spores on the inside or not or if it’s safe.

Any ideas to make dry bud safe

Honestly I don’t know. I’d be hesitant to smoke anything that has or has had mold.

I’m with @Drinkslinger. I wouldn’t risk it if you’re not sure. Dying would be bad.

1 Like

I think you can wash & sterilize dry buds; you would just need to dry and cure them again. H2O2 does not damage your buds. But the physical handling might damage the delicate trichomes by some amount, so you would need to be very gentle.

I will always wash my buds because I have seen what washes off, and I don’t to smoke that nasty stuff.

1 Like

One plant, indoor and out. Washed one week before with high pressure hose and multiple peroxide baths during the grow.

And this is why we wash our buds, boys and girls!

1 Like

Wash water from one plant of The White, outdoor grown, September harvest.

1 Like