Washing bud after harvest?

Hi, Does anyone wash their bud in lemon juice and baking soda after trimming?.

David.

3 Likes

I believe it was @Aquaponic_Dumme who mention this in another thread recently and it was really interesting …I’d like to hear more ?

2 Likes

Interesting need to keep up on this too

1 Like

@Aquaponic_Dumme washes his buds, but he doesn’t use lemon juice or baking soda I believe. We’ll have to wait to see what he says though.
:evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::v:

1 Like

I just watched a few vids on it. It really makes sense… im going to do it with my white thunder.

1 Like

Now this is interesting. I never really considered this. I have always been really careful about getting the buds wet in general. Now were washing and rinsing .

I just watched a video on washing away powdery mildew by giving your buds an H2O2 bath . I may give this a try with one plant as it had a few spots of the powdery mildew showing up just last week.

2 Likes

I consider cannabis is a food crop, and wash it as you would any other consumable vegetable. I don’t like the idea of swallowing animal excrement. It also helps with dust and bugs, especially for outdoor, uncontrollable happenings.

(Your soil has poo in it + splashing up, or bird droppings, animal marking their territory, etc…)

I just use water. I submerge the buds completely, as I trim, then gently give it a shake or two, while changing out the wash water as needed.

I’ve never needed to use H2O2, Lemon, or Baking Soda.

7 Likes

Do you just do a rinse and shake then hang them to dry? Just curious on your procedure.

1 Like

Yes, basically. I take trimmings (1-3 branches in a cut), manicure fully, dunk and wash in clean water, then hang to dry.

3 Likes

@Aquaponic_Dumme How long have you been washing your bud? Can you expand on your findings of the end product after curing as far as taste, aroma, texture for smoking , vaping , edibles … I’m just now getting ready in the next week to 10 days to harvest a few plants and am just now learning about this procedure.

1 Like

@nwinbackyard,

No problem bud. First I just want to confirm you’ve checked out the grow bible they offer here on ilgm. If you havent, you can read it here:

http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/wp-content/uploads/guides/Ilovegrowingmarijuana.com-grow-bible.pdf

http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/wp-content/uploads/guides/Ilovegrowingmarijuana.com-plantcare-guide.pdf

I really can’t remember when I started washing the buds, but I’ve been doing it for a long time. The washing doesn’t effect taste, smell, or effect. Those things have more of a genetic disposition, or possibly personal growing and timing techniques.

If you need help with the harvest procedures, make sure you brush up on the other posts about it, and of course, all the guys here will help.

Happy growing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @Aquaponic_Dumme . This is my 3rd year growing (45 yr smoker) and this thread was my intro into washing buds after harvest. Somehow in all my reading and learning this subject just never got to me. Allow me to pull my head out of the sand. I have a week or so to go and now I’m going to give this a whirl. Thanks again for your guidance :gift::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Hi, I found a video about it and it made me wonder if it would damage the trichomes as Dumme says we should treat it like a food. Thanks for your replies.Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread I am putting my new grow room together.

David.

2 Likes

@david1954,

No, not when I wash. I’m gentle with it as I wash, so there’s little, if any lost trichomes.

Reason to wash bud. You would smoke this. Its god knows what.

theres a hair or fiber or something and no bugs on this Little Lady.

2 Likes

It’s washing for me in future thanks for all your replies.

David.

Im actually washing some now.

1 Like

4 Likes

I’ll be washing my outdoor harvest. Who knows wtf is on those buds! Plus, they’re dirty from the rain splashing dirt onto the bottom half of the girls. @Aquaponic_Dumme I know you posted how you do it, but I was curious on a few things. Do you just rinse? Are you gentle with this procedure? Do you rinse and just hang, or do you shake them off or anything to get rid of excess water? And how long does it take for your girls to dry after being rinsed?

I just wouldn’t want to rinse my buds and then lose them to mold or something because of the excess water. Any tips and advice would help, because I definitely need to clean off my outdoor harvest.

2 Likes

I started out gentle but i notice i had to help the water out with with what i thought fit. I put in a plastic bag lined with paper towels and kind of swing it but i felt i need more water out.