WarKat is back anyone interested in living soil water only growing?

hey @Warkat (2) of my seedlings are this size and I didn’t water them yet, 8 days in the pots, the soil has a lot of compost that was quite damp when I filled the pots 10 days ago. Weight feels unchanged. Without poking at it yourself to check what would you think I should expect for first watering. I’m pretty good at underwatering :man_farmer: :laughing:

2 Likes

And should I wait til I get a few inches under them to mulch or fill it now and add more later when it’s taller. Top inch is dry.

2 Likes

Your not losing any significant amount of water from your plants so you dont need to water the main part of the pot. Having the surface dry out 1 in deep for a seedling is not optimal imo. Get a fine mist spray bottle and start misting the plant and the soil dont try to get the full dry area in one misting. But moisten it over time. I dont know enough about your grow style to really give good advice. Are you full living soil? If so then your really hurting your microbial life. They need moisture and darkness. I would definately mulch so surface doesnt dry out so fast.

1 Like

What container are you starting them in?

1 Like

Done, a few hours ago, I wet it first about a pint of water on each. 15" diameter pot. It’s homemade potting soil, sheep manure compost base with peat moss, some sandy garden soil from the yard, and I dont like to admit perlite but I’d like to keep it alive. The compost was wet when I mixed up the pots, never been dry yet.

2 Likes

Grand daddy purple startin to show her colors

2 Likes

Here is a Bergmans Gold leaf coloring up nicely also. I love the cooler nights this time of year it really brings the colors out.

3 Likes

Havent watered since they been in the pots. edit oh yes got it damp on top because top was dried. Compost was damp. 3 weeks above ground tomorrow and fifth node is forming :slightly_smiling_face:

And I’ve almost always had a few tiny flies or gnats and stuff, now I see nothing. Nothing stirs in there haha did I ruin their home?

3 Likes

Again thank you for showing great information & books . Loving your girls

1 Like

I just love creating living soil. Harvest should start on this round in about a week to 10 days cali kush will be first then it will probably be about 3 weeks before all of them are ready. Im excited about this round too. I believe i may turn my brain into mush a few times before i decide which strain is my favorite this round :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

There’s a root growing across the top of my pot! First time I ever seen this. Spread some wood chips to check my soil moisture and a nice white root is about 5 or 6 inches out. Quickly covered that back up, I’m excited about it and don’t wanna ruin it. How sensivtive are these roots

1 Like

across the top of my soil I mean of course, toward the rim of the pot.

1 Like

There like anything they will just keep growing if treated well just keep em moist and if ya can get some worms in there.

friggin right and was it you or somewhere I read 4 or 5 worms in a 5 gallon planter should be comfortable? sound right…?

1 Like

Just thought i would show off a bit LOL. End of week 7 and there is a granddaddy purple cali kush candy kush and bergmans gold leaf there

3 Likes

I probably have at least 50 to 100 in each 3 gallon pot. They keep reproducing

2 Likes

Feed worms with avocado they will snuggle up inside the outer shell and be happy as heck

3 Likes

Pretty happy room

3 Likes

geez no wonder you love livin soil. I always thought the more better germs eating things poop out more nutes and minerals for the plant. It’s like a new hobby for me, starting a new era in growing haha well I guess see how these turn out

1 Like

Loving her colors :heart_eyes:

1 Like