WarKat is back anyone interested in living soil water only growing?

Its been 2 years now. Had some health issues and couldnt grow. All is well with me now and growing strong. This is day 21 of flower 7 strains water only grow in living soil I created myself.

12 Likes

My second grow and I'm doing it the right way haha - #779 by Warkat here is a link to my grows 2 years ago if interested.

4 Likes

this round in Flower now is
Cherry Pie
Bergmans Gold Leaf
Cali Kush
Candy Kush
Grand Daddy Purple
Gobstopper
Rusty Haze

3 Likes

This is the next round in veg
Girl scout kushies
Amnesia haze
Green crack
24k gold leaf
Durban poison
Life is so good again

7 Likes

Quite an array!

Always excited to see living soil grows. I love water-only methods. It isn’t my speed, but it’s great to watch. :eyes:

Welcome back, by the way. :v:

4 Likes

Thanks man its good to be alive again

2 Likes

this is what i grew 2 years ago
pretty proud papa and that was living soil grow

6 Likes

Absolutely. I would be, too. What a monster!

2 Likes

Wowza. That’s a beauty!
9nhE1iPKLnGcU

4 Likes

Im definitely set ta watch & hopefully learn some more… Love living soils. My goal is to one day get some hunky colas like that.

2 Likes

Well i thought I would babble a bit this morning so here goes.
So if you really want to do living soil water only growing there is a bit of a mindset you need to get into. Consider this at this time i have 12 different strains growing at the same time and there all doing pretty darn good IMO. Dont come into this thinking what does it takes to grow a plant? The plant is actually an afterthought that just happens because of the soil. Your future is about learning what it takes to both develop and keep happy all the micro organisms in your soil and believe me chemical ferts are not the way. It is a fairly long process just to get your first batch of soil developed but once you do you can just keep on recycling it and it only gets better each time. I never ph or measure ppm i just add water and let it do its thing. I do have a reverse osmosis water filter system tho. The chemicals found in city water are a nightmare for your soil critters so good water is huge.

4 Likes

Here is a link to my grow thread from 2 years ago. Some great info there

4 Likes

Thanks. Great journal i started it last night & finished this morning , youve definitely got me thinking again lol🤪 . so which soil did you end up liking, making & using? As of now ive set my summer 65 gallon pots to the side of the coop to recycle for next summers grow. . Im gonna try Ruths way this fall & add the mulches & hay. See what happens next spring… i would love to be able to afford all the ingredients you have on those shelves to make a good soil, but im still not there yet. So i figured id start with worm casting & meal worm frass .its a slow go, but im starting to figure it out. Im gonna try adding the burlap to my worm bin. My bin is to damp. so i have issues with the gnats. Gonna add some more coco coir see if i can settle it down. Thanks again for sharing your journeys.

2 Likes

Hey TT thanks for the kind words always nice to talk to like minded folks.
so for me hands down i use the Revs recipe with a few of my own tweeks. If you read my Journal the first thing im going to say is get the book True Living Organics 2nd edition by the Rev its amazing in many ways ill bet ive read it cover to cover 10 times now and I learn new stuff every time i read it.
Now dont get me wrong I do add several tweaks of my own to the mix that i discussed in my other journal and ill be going back over alot of them again as this grow goes on. Im just now start the fungal stage of my biochar mix. it will take about a month to cook this stage in then ill start the microbe development in it after that.
Ill tell ya worms are one of the most important part of how I grow. If I had to guess i would bet I have well over 10k of the little guys wiggling around in all my dirt including all the pots im growing in. also just so ya know all my plants are grown in 3 gallon cloth pots and ive never had any nute deficiencies at all and I grow alot of different strains at a time. Im doing 12 diff ones now. you say your worm beds are too wet but your wrong worms love alot of moisture. The burlap is actually there to help keep the bins from drying out at all. so when your ready to add the worm mix to your soil you will need to dry it out for a bit before hand. the burlap will also help with gnats for sure. in my experience the burlap lasts just over a month in a healthy bin then its completely consumed by the life in the bin so i buy a roll of 14" burlap and cut to length.

2 Likes

Great advice, ill be asking for the book for x mas, nice small gift lol. Heading to lowes now, see if they have burlap rolls…question about the term Ruth & other use
( HAY ) do they all really mean. ( straw ) ??? Because Hay has tons of seeds & other stuff in it, that i would think you wouldnt want in the gardens. ?

straw for sure but ill tell ya I started using Fir tree bark on top of all my soil and it blows my mind what happens to the life in your pots. actually almost any bark is good just avoid cedar and redwood bark plants dont like it much

1 Like

A shot of a new worm tray. Started 4 days ago it 75 percent food and plant matter in between 2 layers of worm mix i use this is all raw fruit and plant matter and with the burlap on no bugs at all and i used to deal with lots of fruitflies before the burlap

3 Likes

Ugg thanks, i hope this works . Ive been trying to get a worm bin started for a year now, but give up every time when the gnats take over. Afraid to even put food in it… Hopefully the third time will be the charm lol… oh & i dont have a basement. Lol they are in my house… so when the gnats get bad, they get everywhere. So, looking forward to giving this a try. Thanks for the tip about the bark. Fun trying new things :slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face:

1 Like

Love your bins, im hoping to get a real bin . Maybe x mas :laughing:

1 Like

Hey TT just wanted to say that if you can after you have put the food scraps in your worm bed make sure that its all covered with your bedding material then put your burlap down (I soak my burlap and leave it dripping wet when i put it in. then if you dont have another tray to put on top of that take a piece of cardboard and put it down on top of the burlap. Also are you using red wiggler worms? and is you bin in a nice dark part of your house? always keep your bin covered but cover it with something that will allow it to breath. A towel more burlap cheesecloth. any of those should work well enough. here is a link to a book that is amazing for worm cultivation i found it used for $2.50 and thats a good buy get it if ya can she knows her stuff
Worms Eat My Garbage: How to Set Up and Maintain a Worm Composting System by Appelhof, Mary: Very Good Paperback (1982) | HPB-Diamond

1 Like