Want to start growing

I’ve been looking to start growing for myself and family member for a while now, I’ve been looking around at different set ups for the longest, and I’ve decided here soon I will be purchasing from supercloset, I know some may say they’re too expensive and there’s other ways around that may give me the same result, but I feel it’s a nice efficient, and well all around setup(especially for first timer). I will be going with a 5x9 room, with a 12 bubble flow bucket, and 2 1000w led lights.My number one question is that I’d like to make the most of each individual plant, although I’m a beginner but I’ve been using for years and have been studying the art of growing cannabis. So for someone who would like to do some training/stressing and want to make the most of each individual plant, I’m wondering how many plants I should grow under each light? I know with the setup it will be 6 bubble flow buckets/ plants per 1000w light. But your light is the main thing in which determines the yield you will get, so with a 1000w light expecting at the most 1gram per watt, one light can offer me around 35oz tops, so if growing strains that can yield 15-20 oz, I’m not sure if I should grow 6 per light, or perhaps maybe only 2 so that I can give each individual plant more space to grow and be able to do more stressing/ training, so they can achieve their max yield? Please give any thoughts on how I should go about this❤️

1 Like

Welcome to ILGM forum. You seem to have researched enough to know how you want to grow. The one thing that stands out to me is the expectation of 15 to 20 ounces per plant and your choice of light. First off if you are setting your expectations on the amount of bud per plant based on seed company listing of that amount, it’s important to understand that the amount they list is based on optimum conditions. Many of the most experienced growers on forum can achieve at or near these amounts. But many would say that is only under the very best conditions, which are difficult to achieve. One of the most important factors to consider is lighting. You list a 1000w led. First what’s the brand of light you have or are considering. If it’s a light that is listed on Amazon or similar site then there is a good possibility that they aren’t 1000w true watts and will not be able to achieve any where near your goals even if all other environmental factors are near perfect. So the best advice that I give is if the lights that you listed are off Amazon you need to hold off on purchasing until you can get a better understanding of how important lights are in growing cannabis. Investing in lights up front will be the main factor in getting the results you want.

5 Likes

I went to the Supercloset site and I found the 5x9 superroom 5x9. The 1000w light option is the Kind XL 1000. The tent shown is a Gorilla tent. I also have a GT heavy duty. Due to space limitations it is a 3x3x7. The quality of the tent, supports, fabric and zipper is what I was looking for and very happy with it.
The most significant component is the light. I also have a Kind. Because of my grow space I have a Kind K3 2 XL600. Bought in 2019 before the K5 models came out and before I knew about quantum boards and LED boards / strips etc. My light draws 320 watts which is 35 watts / sq ft. The listed watt draw for the XL 1000 is 630 (per kind website). This puts the watts per sq ft at 28 watts. I like my kind but have found it to be inadequate to produce the quality and quantity I am looking for. To date I usually grow 4 autos, in soil in the space. With my current grow I am switching over to photoperiods to give them a try. Switching gives me more control over the plant in terms of its growth and structure. Again, the goal is to grow better buds. To achieve that goal I am adding 160 watts of top end LED strip lights (samsung 301B and CREE XP-G3 Photo Red diodes) to provide the space the power it needs during the flower phase. At max, this will provide 480 watts / 50 watts plus. This may be overkill since the recommends watts per sq ft for the strips is closer to 35 watts. So I will dim them down and achieve a higher level of efficiency.
With all of that said, if it were me and looking at the $$ you are willing spend and your stated goal of quality and quantity, I would look at HLG (horticultural lighting group - very popular here and the quantum board world), Fluence, Gavita and others using newer generation light technology.
Welcome, others with more knowledge and experience will share their thoughts and recommendations.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community ! As @Bulldognuts mentioned lights is a huge part of a successful grow. If possible I would list the BRAND NAME of the light you’re looking at and you’ll get some good feedback. You can achieve 1 gram per watt but it needs to be a quality LED light. Just my thoughts good luck.

2 Likes

Bulldognuts said it well all specs on harvest amounts are based on optimal amounts. Beginners rarely see optimal turn out, for example to suit my needs I need 2 plants so I am growing three to achieve that goal. But also you see veterans on here that will blow that optimal amount out of the water and harvest double. I take those specs and plan on about 60 to 70 percent of the amount claimed.

3 Likes

I’ll be getting a 1000w light by Kind LED which is a great company along with that I want to try there bubble flow buckets which many say they grow real fast and provide big yields

@Bulldognuts

1 Like

Understand, I’m not criticizing your choice of growing method. You are more ambitious than I was when I first started. Many people just starting out will be happy just getting through there first grow successfully. The light that you are getting will grow cannabis. Many aspects of being successful growing comes down to the effort put in. The one thing that will make the difference between reaching full potential of efforts made is lights. Regardless of what the company claims these lights will not produce the kind of results you are looking for. Many people on forum have started out with similar lights, myself included. They will most likely be sufficient to grow plants through veg but are not sufficient to flower, especially the amount that you want to produce. If you are serious about achieving your goals you should consider returning lights and I can tag resident light guru on forum that can help you get the best lights for your space and goals. There’s also a few more people that can be helpful determining the best lights.

1 Like

I’m not taking offense, any tip you can give us much appreciated, I’ve seen many great reviews on led lights, my main concern is how many plants I should grow per light, but I have yet to purchase anything I’ve just been looking for a efficient set up, what would you prefer to be the best?

1 Like

I’m going to tag @dbrn32 he can help determine the best lighting to consider, based on your space that you want to light and what your goals are. He stays fairly busy helping members not only choosing best lights, but also helps people to build DIY lights. So it may be later today before he can respond. I’m going to link a thread about DIY lights. It’s over 8000 post now but is pretty interesting to scroll through and see some of the things people are doing in regards to lighting.

2 Likes

Here is integrated sphere report from kind k5 xl 1000

Here is integrated sphere report from 1000 watt hps.

That should say everything that needs to be said about kind led lights. I wouldn’t expect typical grower to pull 2 plus pounds per fixture regardless of plant count or strain with them. It could maybe happen, but is definitely shouldn’t be baseline expectations.

2 Likes

@Bulldognuts how many plants would you guys encourage that I grow under a k5 1000w, with the setup it’s 6 bubble flow buckets, would you recommend I use all of these, and grow six plants per light? Just wondering cause ik the number of plants doesn’t determine your yield so I’m wondering if I could get the same yield only growing 2 plants under that light, as I would 6?

1 Like

If you veg the two out and train the canopy to the same size as 6 plants, maybe. Plant count doesn’t matter as much as size of total canopy.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 has your answer. I’m not much more than a beginner myself. I’m good for basic knowledge and for growing in soil such as FF Ocean Forest. When it comes to yield, especially when it relates to lighting dbrn32 is the one to help. He’s the one who helped me understand why lights are so important when it comes to bud production. When I saw your original post I wanted to help you realize the same thing that I didn’t realize until after my first grow.

1 Like

I wanted to illustrate what dbrn32 is saying about how it’s not as important as how many plants you grow. What matters is your overall canopy size in any given area. Also I believe what should be illustrated is that the canopy is getting proper amount of light distributed over entire canopy. Here’s a pic of one plant that @ggc1962 is growing. He only veged for 36 days. He will probably be able to produce more from this one plant than I can from 3. I don’t believe he will mind if I link his journal to this post so you can get a idea about how you can produce more.

1 Like

Kind may very well be a great company. One of their strongest attributes is advertising (I bought one) and not the publication of information critical to evaluating the light. In @dbrn32’s (I hope I am saying this correctly) comparison of the kind to a high pressure sodium light the HPS produces 33% more light power within cannabis’s desired light spectrum, and does so more efficiently, than the kind. HPS is not exactly new technology. Like I said in my previous post, because of my Kind’s shortcomings, I am having to supplement it with additional light geared toward flowering cannabis.
There are probably hundreds of old generation full spectrum (blurple) LED, HPS, and other format users that have switched to newer white light boards, strips and COB. Their comments about switching are consistently similar, production and quality increased significantly.

I am a soil grower so I don’t know bubble buckets from bubble bath. And I don’t know how supercloset works their packages. Can you not purchase the same set up from supercloset without the Kind? Or, can you not source the individual components separately? What I am saying is I wish I knew about places like this that provide beginners with information obtained through their experience and shared knowledge about what really works for them before I bought my light. I guarantee you I would have bought something else.

1 Like

@Odie302 Be aware that the Amazon burple LED reviews are “fluffed.” I wrote a bad review for the one I bought and the company contacted me and offered me money to take my review down.

I concur with @Bulldognuts comments on these lights.

2 Likes

Reading through not only @dbrn32 but many other reviews and interpretations on led vs hps including ILGM grow guide, I see both have different benefits and it can be hard to tell which is really better, I’ve seen most say hps can produce higher yields yet some also say led which give you more potent bud, under ILGM grow guide they also say something about potentially trying both to possibly give astounding results, I think I’m going to go ahead and try out led lights just because they are a little more fit for beginners and don’t require as much maintenance controlling temperature etc. and although they are more expensive, they are much longer lasting and should be worth money in the long run, but really I’m someone who likes to experiment so I may grab some hps lights to throw in also at one point or maybe try them on a separate grow to see the difference, not sure but going down the road after a grow or 2 I’d definitely like to experiment on the different benefits of the two different types of light, or possibly both of them together!

1 Like

A good led fixture is capable of out producing hps fairly easily if used properly. Hps bulbs vary a little, but led fixtures vary a lot. Outside of a little spectral tuning on hps bulbs and introduction of double ended fixtures, hps tech hasn’t really changed in 40 years. Led tech gets improvements every few months. The problem is if you want the latest and greatest its expensive. As opposed to cheap led fixtures pretty much using same tech they did 10 years ago.

3 Likes

@Odie302 well bud I’m in the same spot you are I’m new to growing baught me a 2400 watt led @ 5000 wat led from amozone I’m Excited to see what they do in flower bloom though might have to run both of them at once

1 Like