Want to make the right choices from here

Hi. So I’m the type of person who wants to know I’m spending money only on the “best” stuff, even if it’s more expensive and more than I need, which gets me into trouble sometimes. (For example, I’m a musician with lots of gear I don’t use to its full potential, but it’s really good gear.) I’m a medical cannabis user and want to grow for personal use with some extra to perhaps make some edibles. In the future, if I dig it, I may want to grow more.

Before I really did any research, I bought some White Widow autoflower seeds from ILGM and the 5-gallon starter kit from apotforpot.com. (I’ll be growing in soil.) So I’ve spent about $200 so far and could conceivably grow a single plant outside. My itchy buying finger really wants to buy a grow tent setup. I have in my head that I want a 4x4, but the rational part of my brain says that’s more than I need, so I’m dialing it back to a 3x3. I think I’m gonna buy the Gorilla Grow 3x3 tent. For lights, I’m gonna go with Quantum Boards from Horticulture Lighting Group. I’m trying to decide between the 260W V2 Rspec or the 260W V2 3000 or the 260W XW 3000. Is the Rspec a worthy step up from the 3000? Would a XW configuration suit my needs better than the regular one, taking into consideration I may want to expand down the road? If I was just going to buy one thing now, I should get the light first, right?

I appreciate any thoughts.

2 Likes

It sounds like you are on the right track and getting some good research under your belt before attempting your first grow. You will need a good pH probe and EC probe.

As far as the tent size goes, everyone has different needs and expectations. I have expanded twice since starting 18 months ago. Starting with just one or two plants is a great way to learn without too much pressure.

4 Likes

I would recommend getting a 4x4 tent. If you read enough threads here, you’ll find many in which someone bought a 2x2 or 3x3 and later wished they had bought a 4x4. It’s nice to have that extra room to maneuver in and around your plants, and have room for equipment like fans, heaters and humidifiers.

6 Likes

As far as lights go:

2x2 tent: HLG 3500k QB 135
2x4 tent: HLG 260W QB V2
3x3 tent: 3000/3500k QB 260 XW
4x4 tent: (2) HLG 260 XL
5x5 tent: (3) HLG 260 XL

4 Likes

go with a 4x4 tent. i use 2 4x4’s and run hlg 550 v2’s in each and it rocks the plants. these 2 are 1st day of 12/12!

2 Likes

I’m not sure what kind of budget you have, but I would rather see you setup a 3x3 well than cut corners trying to do a 4x4. If you’re not consuming 3 zips a month its probably plenty of room too. You can use your trim to make edibles.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your replies. @TommyBahama, that’s great info! @dbrn32, yes, I think that’s a good call. I’d be in over my head $-wise with a 4x4 and two lights and everything else for a bigger tent at this point. I’m gonna do a 3x3 with the 3500k QB 260 XW. I figure if I do expand down the road, I can add another 3x3 and have separate veg and flower tents.

1 Like

I love my 3x3 and I definitely love my HLG boards. Good choices for sure.

3 Likes

Keep up the research! And welcome to the forum. It’s a never ending project/experiment from here!

3 Likes

Awesome choices in my opinion.

2 Likes

Thank you! @dbrn32, I’m thinking AC Infinity T4 fan and Phresh 4x8 150 CFM filter. Thoughts?

I have the 4" fan from ac infinity and airflow drops a ton with filter attached. I would probably go with 6" model and maybe little bigger filter to accommodate the fan.

Also… get a tent at least 6ft :joy:. The height is more restrictive then the width

1 Like