Want to grow inside need opinions

Ok, got some seedlings going with what lights I own. Either having light or humidity issues I think. Anyone wants tagged on my journal happy to could use all the help i can get.
However, the plants I currently have started will be going outside but looking to get inside as the outdoor season gets to an end. I have a space in my basement approx. 10x10. Was thinking of splitting it in half 1 side for starts and veg the other for flower. Start looking at what I need to do that going to be some $$$. So keep looking and searching 4 ideas. Came across a yield lab set up everything you need but the plants. Anyone familiar with these? Not the best lights but probably good enough until I can get better. The 4x4 complete kit is pretty much 1k 2k for 2 of them. If I’m going to spend that kind of money thought I’d get a couple opinions here first on wich way to go. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Everything in an indoor grow should follow the lighting. In other words; lighting is the single most important item of an indoor grow. This is what you should be mindful of when shopping for lights. If you are in a cold climate look at MH/HPS but LED’s are definitely better so long as you get good LED’s.

4 Likes

One other point is if you’re having flower separate from seedling / veg areas your lighting requirement will be less demanding on the seedling / veg side. You can get by with a less powerful, less costly light on this side. Put the $$ you save here and add it the flower light. DIY lights, either as a kit or parts off the shelf can be something to look into / research.
Ps That is a serious garden you posted.

Thanks about the garned, labor of love. Also how I make a living. So just from reading these 2 replies, thanks btw. Probably be better off doing the room piece by piece instead of looking at these kits? The kits come with 1 light 2 bulbs. 600w High Pressure Sodium Bulb and a 600w Metal Halide Bulb. And yes I’m up in Ohio kind cold in the winter months.

My girls love the old school MH/HPS bulbs!!

2 Likes

@Zee what kind of foot print veg/flower on those?

Am a first time grower, and not expecting much of a footprint my first grow.

However am following hellraisers guide, and he grows 4 girls in a 3x3 and will yield over a pound each harvest. He does about 8 to 9 weeks of veg, and same on flower.

If you need a link to his guide, let me know. I have a lot of success so far, but at day 51 from sprout, I got some time to go.

The reason why I went with the MH/HPS lighting, is simple, cheap start up cost, and the success of using them. I figured if I fail, I cut my cost down. After 2 or 3 successful grows, I’ll use it as a back up, in case my lights go out. If successful I’ll upgrade to some high end lights.

Here is a few pics from a few days ago…am amazed how well am doing, again I feel it’s the lights and guidance of Hellraisers grow. I’ll just post his guide, he has 2 more a continuation of the guide

Here is my 3 girls, 2 are 7 weeks old, 1 is 6 weeks.

3 Likes

Here is my lighting set up. Great price and again what Hellraiser was using, and recommended to me. Hellraiser upgraded to some very nice high end lights, but used these for years

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P8P51ZQ/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_-mc3Eb40WVQBV

1 Like

Oh, sorry I was on my soapbox. Don’t buy the kits, your paying someone to piece together items for you, and I have read a few disappointment stories about them on this forum. I’d piece everything together myself. Am jealous of that 10 x 10, so many possibilities. Smart decision to split in my opinion! Couple of 4x4 in them, give you some room to vent and work in. On a side note, I think it’s really great you have family supporting your grow, love/adore your farm. You’re a lucky man, and it’s deserved.

1 Like

Yeah if I had that kind of space, I’d do at least 2 4x4 tents or even 1 4x4 for veg and 1 4x8 for flowering. Depends on how much you are looking to grow. With that amount of space, you could easily spend thousands on the best LED lights or get a couple/few 600 watt MH/HPS setups for much less. Under $200 for MH/HPS or $700 and up for the good LED lights (each) to light a 4x4.

1 Like

@Hellraiser yeah I’m kinda leaning that way. Was looking at Led and while I can spend the money, close to or over 1k each I can get alot more equipment to get started if I go MH/HPS. If I split the room basically have 5x10 veg/flower. 2 600w for flower I for veg sound right. Maybe 2 each, thinking 8-10 plants?? @Zee thanks for the kind words on the farm. It’s taken a bit to get there but I love what I do bug time.

1 Like

For 2 5x10 areas, 2 HPS in flowering, 2 MH in veg, would be awesome, though could maybe get by with only 1 in veg and maybe a bank of T5s on one side for seed/clone starting area.

2 Likes

@Hellraiser you da man! Got some shopping to do!

2 Likes

@Zee thanks for the link to the lights, those were the exact ones I was looking at. Ordered 4 of them today. @Hellraiser thought I saw somewhere you were talking about transplants. Cant seem to find it now. I have journal going right now planned on putting my plants all outside. Got 10 GL photos and 15 GG autos. Think I’m going to change it up and keep the photos inside. Need to order pots soon. 3gal, 5gal, 7gal is this correct? Just afraid July almost here photos will not reach peak outside at this point and that would just be a waste.

2 Likes

You will be happy and your girls with those lights.

Following Hellraisers photo guide, 3 gallon containers to 7 gallon fabric pots :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I go from solo cups to 3 gal plastic pots to 7 gal fabric pots.

I go over the details of the transplant from solo cup to 3 gal in my journal, post #76

2 Likes

@Hellraiser @Zee got my lights and potted up the 7 I’m keeping inside. Roots were kinda cramped so I’m looking forward to seeing them take off. Question. Hanging lights today, what setting should the light be set to for veg and the height I’m guessing about 24-30" from top of plants?

bummer cant order my fan and filter until July 6th hope this causes no issues.

2 Likes

Yeah 24-30 inches is a good place to start, you can use the back of the hand method at your plant tops level, if you can keep your hand there (palm down) for 30 seconds and feel no burning or discomfort on the back of your hand, than fine for your plants. Also at that size, you can dim down to 400 watts, don’t need to use 600 watts for a couple/few weeks and will help with heat til you get fan and stuff.

2 Likes

some food for thought, here are some pros and cons
Gas lamps dont last very long, so if you use them steady, figure on an annual bulb replacement. A good Led can go for a few years full out before it starts to lose efficiency.
Gas lamps are hot and need to calculate the cost of heat removal in the hotter parts of the year. Can be beneficial in the winter.
A large portion of your electricity is going into making heat and not light with a gas lamp.
Gas lamps can burn you and explode with contact of water! They can be very dangerous that way.
Gas lamps leave less power, due to lower efficiency, for other devices on the circuit than an equivalent LED.
Gas lamp fixtures require greater space for the fixture and distance from the plant than LED and thus you wont have nearly the same plant space as an LED fixture.
This is not intended to bash gas lamps, but to show advantages of LED in a confined space. In addition, large commercial grow operators are switching to high end LED for the long term financial benefits because of the heat issue and electrical useage.
In the end, the buy in is more expensive, but the down the road savings are significant. Not to mention that the newer LED strips are rocking the shit out of buds!
Either way, gas or LED, you can grow great dope!

2 Likes

They will love the bulbs!

2 Likes