Wanna help dial this light in?

So I’ve been hangin around for nearly a year trying to learn as much as possible. I’ve had growing pains and plenty of issues along the way. I feel like each grow I improve my skill and improve my environment. So here I am with a new grow and a new light. Hlg 600 rspec and have no idea what to do with it and am looking for some advice. If there interest in this thread I’ll start a journal with the hope it can help me and others move to the next level

2 Likes

What do you need help with?

1 Like
  • What strain, ilgm gsc auto
  • Method: happy frog
  • Vessels: 3 gallon fabric pots
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable) 6.5ish
  • PPM/TDS going to use Jacks321
  • Indoor or Outdoor. Indoor
  • Light system. Hlg 600rspec
  • Temps; Day, Night. 75-82
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size. Ac infinity 4” exhaust
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No no
1 Like

Lol, not sure yet Randy. My biggest concern right now is dialing in the new light with seedlings. I just switched them tonite from low watt, screw in cfl’s to a hlg600. It’s hung about 36” and dimmed to about 100watts. I plan on gradually turning it up but wouldn’t mind if a few of you would hold my hand and tell me everything’s gonna be ok… lol

Don’t really need high intensity through veg. Could most likely make it through all of veg dimmed down all the way , if not damn close.
Once start to flower then can increase slightest until hit max power.

4 Likes

I hear ya josh, and that’s kinda my plan for now. I’m coming off 600watts hid lightning to 1000watt equivalent led’s and I’m not sure what to expect. Truth be told I don’t have enough experience to pull this off without some guidance from the folks here.

5 Likes

Watch what your leaves do if they’re praying then up your lights if the tips are twisting or they’re overly droopy only near the top it’s to much light and lower it

3 Likes

I have the scorpion diablo i used for veg which will be close to like ur light maybe a bit more power. But i have to have it turned all the way down for veg or it would fry the leaves turning them yellow. I jave the lights roughly 3 feet above tge plants tops. Start off real low power and like 2 feet above the tops. If u see it seems to be stretching for light turn it up a tad. A little goes a long way like a 16th of a turn or so lol. Watch it there. Just try and keep ot where the nodes are 1 to 2 inches apart from eachother is a good spacing. Closer to 1 is better buds stack up better and bigger. Ull get it. When u turn it up tho watch leaves if u start to see the skin of the leaves turning sloght yellow and veins stay greener the light is too mich turn it down a bit so u dont fry the leaves.

3 Likes

@Pinboy

You can use a phone app with a quantum board light to get fairly accurate PPFD readings. Not as accurate with blurples and MH or HPS, but with the natural light of HLG lamp the apps work quite well.

Seedlings need PPFD of 200-300

Veg needs PPFD of 400-700

Flower needs PPFD of 600-800

No need to guess…

5 Likes

I’m using two 650r…I guessed my first 3 runs. Bought a par meter this past Thursday…I was NOT USING my lights in the most efficient way. So my suggestion… buy a decent par meter.
Happy Growing!!

3 Likes

Gotta learn and practice what your plants can’t handle, you’ll get there , you have an easy light to make your grow so easy

1 Like

Thanks for the helpful responses. I was hoping to get the room put back together yesterday but a water main break in front of the house killed that idea…I’ll post a few pics once I get everything back in order, I’d taken down most of it for a deep clean. Here’s a pic of the gsca’s at about 10 days from breaking ground

3 Likes

I just bought the hlg 600 as well. I would love to follow along for the advice!

1 Like

It seems like quite a few others have as well, I’ll try and keep up with updates

1 Like

For sure! Please do. Good luck with the gsc. I’m just about finished with some.

1 Like

I agree a PAR meter helps. One comment that I think I picked up when I was researching lights and PAR meters was from a lighting consult who was quoted on a commercial grower website. He said that, almost invariably, when his company is called in to consult with a commercial grower, the grower is “leaving money on the table” by having light levels that were too low.
So, that’s a lighting consultant saying that growers should call in a lighting consultant, no surprise. However, I have to think that there’s some truth to the matter - light is part of the growing equation and, unless you have an accurate way of measuring it, it’s going to be difficult to get the optimal amount of light to your plants.
I’ve tested an app on the iPhone against a Kind LED and a Mars SP 3000 using an Apogee MQ-500 as the baseline.
The spectrum on the Kind doesn’t fit into a standard LED spectrum whereas the Mars is a “while light” spectrum. Both lights required significant offsets to calibrate them and there was a fair amount of variance in the values that were displayed as the PPFD levels changed.
In contrast, the only time the MQ-500 changed the reported PPFD level was when I changed the dimmer or when I moved the sensor. Even at 25% on the Mars, the reading changed when I moved the sensor, vertically, as little as an inch or two. In contrast, the iPhone app varied 10% while stationary. The MQ-500 is not cheap but it is considered a standard and has proven easy to use and has given consistent readings.
There are PAR meters that are less expensive than the Apogee. One that I’ve seen is just under $200 while another is just under $300, without the wand. I have no knowledge of their accuracy or reliability but, had I not decided to get the MQ-500, I would have gone for the “mid-priced” one. My thinking is that a company that makes a device that accommodates a wand has put some development/engineering effort into creating a substantial product rather than a meter that’s using the same shell as other products that are lux meters. I haven’t contacted the manufacturers but I did poke around on Google for a while before spending the money.
One note about the 500 - I used it for a few days, in a small tent, and moving the sensor around was a PITA so I bought the wand. Buying the two items separately added about $30 to the cost and, yeh, the case is worth the $20.

3 Likes

U didn’t say if ur growing n a tent r not. If ur n a tent, I’d buy myself a 2X2 whatever brand floats ur boat, another LED that covers the 2X2 space HLG, Mars, SF, whatever. N put that Rspec 600 n a 4X4 r even 5X5 for flower, where it belongs, n my humble opinion…:v::v::alien:

1 Like

Thanks for the info Delps I’m definitely looking into par.

@AlienBrew im not in a tent for now. I’m in an unused small bathroom growing out of the tub lol. I hope within 6-8 months my situation will improve a bit and I’ll run 2 tents, veg and flower.
Once I put my “walls” back in I’ll grab some pics of the space

1 Like

Well we ain’t all gots the money, r already have space available to s/u our grow. I’m n the boat with u, I already had a spare BR n the basement, when my kid moved out, n made the veggy. room myself. I hate to say it but I was a happy, happy, camper when daughter moved out. N again, n the same boat with tents, when I save enough I’ll have me a top line tent, LED lighting, the whole ten yards. Thanks to the great people here n the forum, they totally changed my mind, not only on tents, but LEDs also. Wishing u good luck on this and future grows. @Randy_Marsh, @Calizona r just a couple on ur journey that have helped me already, take advantage of the vast knowledge available​:grin::grinning::alien:

3 Likes