Waiting for my ILGM seeds ❤

Hello everyone! Well, things are really starting to come together for my very first grow. I’ve got my grow tent up. Hanging lights. Inline fan, ducting, carbon filter, FFOF and FFHF on the way, fabric pots and a binder to collect all the grow notes. Going to buy at least two small fans to circulate air within the tent. Oh and the lights I bought came with timers.

When my ILGM seeds arrive I’m going to be ready. :smiley:
I am growing for my husband who has CRPS.
I ordered Grand daddy Purple, Gold Leaf, the Baking Mixpack which is made up of Girl Scout Cookies Extreme, Cherry Pie and Wedding Cake. And I also ordered Orange Bud. I’m set for a while. :smiley:

I’ll post and share the progress of my grow as it goes. I’ve never grown before so I’m researching here and looking online for more tips plus I downloaded The Grow Bible here too.

If you plan on following me thanks for doing so. I want my first grow to be as successful as possible and yours too. :smiley: :slightly_smiling_face:

34 Likes

Any questions, feel free to ask. I’ve only grown in soil a few times though so may not know but can certainly point you in right direction

3 Likes

@HornHead thanks! I know I am going to need help. After ordering my soil I read and reread here that FFOF and FFHF can be hot for the young ones. So, I am considering mixing the FFHF with some coco coir, what I originally thought to start my seeds in and grow my ladies in with some perlite. Would a ratio of 1/3 parts of each work to help my seeds get off to a great start before they exit their seedling stage? @MrPeat @Deepsix @emgoldslo @pillsbury @KeystoneCops @JaneQP @GoneFission @Unknown what do you all think?

4 Likes

You can go straight coco for a couple weeks, then a layer of happy frog and the bottom of your pot ocean forest. That way you might be able to skip nutrients altogether. But, take that with a grain of salt, again I’m straight coco myself.

5 Likes

Just saw @fano_man say something about light warrior soil. He can probably give better advice on soils

1 Like

@HornHead thanks for the good advice. I’ll still be measuring the ph for my ladies though. Everytime I water them? I forgot to include the Blue lab ph pen and a TDS pen that recently arrived in the mail. How often wil I test their TDS? When I test their ph?

2 Likes

Test ph every time so Yeah test ppm too. It’s too easy to prevent problems than correct

2 Likes

@HornHead definitely! And I’ve been reading up on how many lumens my grow tent needs and in what color temperatures in the spectrum. I’m familiar with different color temperatures because I’ve been teaching myself photography for my business. I’ve got two Mars Hydro dimmable 1000W LED light panels in my 4ftx4ft 60 inches tall grow tent. Each light is supposed to produce over 22,000 lumens but then I read that the only way to be absolutely certainly what the lumens are is to take light measurements. So I’m trying remember online where I read how many lumens I would need for my plants in my 4ftx4ft and not 60 inches tall but 80 inches tall grow tent.

1 Like

Just my 2 pennies,. I go strait in ffhf, ffof can be a little hot sometimes for seedlings, but a 50/50 layer should be fine, not saying that anyone is wrong or disagreeing, this is just what I do, can’t really speak much for coco, yet, I just started using in my grow,

7 Likes

I do the same as @Unknown

It is a little hot and won’t require nutes for several weeks. As long as you check your runoff and only add nutes when called for you should be ok

You could also start seeds in just potting soil with no nutes added and then replant to larger pots with FF. I am going to try that next.

I am also going to start adding yucca thanks to advice I have been given.

3 Likes

:thinking::thinking: Interesting @emgoldslo can I get a tag on that lol

1 Like

Hey @Unknown

It wasn’t over here. Another place I visit

2 Likes

If you have happy frog coming too put that in the top half of the pot and the ffof in the bottom it will b fine I made my own super soil and just layer that towards the bottom. That’s all you can mix some coco and perlite definitely want extra perlite that’s for sure. And just ph water

3 Likes

Here’s a great article on yucca
ound this information

RAW Yucca: 100% Water Soluble Yucca Extract
RAW Yucca is made from 100% natural yucca extract from the plant Yucca Schidigera. It can be used as wetting agent for nutrient solutions and foliar sprays and is great for flushing excess salts from the root Zone. When used on soils, it helps water and nutrients penetrate deeper and more evenly into the root zone. We recommend adding a pinch (1/16 tsp per 5 gallons) RAW Yucca to all foliar, nutrient and flush solutions. Works in conjunction with all nutrient and feeding programs.

Yucca extract is a natural surfactant or wetting agent. Yucca schidigera contains saponins, a soapy, steroidal-like substance that acts as a natural spreader/sticker for horticultural use. It only takes a little yucca extract to be effective. As little as 1/16th teaspoon will treat over 5 gallons of water. Yucca helps water and nutrients penetrate deeper into the root zone, and yucca’s natural cleaning action helps keep drip emitter lines from clogging.

Great to Add to Foliar Sprays
Surfactants like yucca extracts are great to add to foliar sprays. Water is a polar molecule; it holds a small positive charge on one side of the water molecule and a negative charge on the other. That’s why water beads up on a waxy surface. But the natural saponins in yucca extracts depolarize the water molecule, allowing foliar sprays to spread out more evenly on the waxy leaf surface. The thin film that is created covers a greater surface area on the leaf for better and more even absorption by the plant cells.

RAW Yucca Helps with Water and Nutrient Absorption
Yucca in and of itself is also good for plants, helping with water and nutrient absorption and acting as a plant protection agent. For example, yucca extracts are taking the place of copper sulphate in much of Europe to help prevent and treat fungal diseases such as apple scab. Yucca offers a natural alternative to petroleum-based surfactants and chemical sprays, and it’s completely safe for the environment. Yucca is great for flushing excess salts from plant roots. Nutrient salts tend to build up in the growing medium due to repeated wetting and drying of the fertiliser mixture. Over time, the salt build up makes it harder and harder for the plant to take up water, and the plant begins to suffer from salt stress. Yucca makes water “wetter”. Its surfactant action allows the water to penetrate deeper into the soil and flush away more of the accumulated salts from the root zone. As a result, plants are able to use water more efficiently and recover more quickly from the symptoms of drought stress.

Valuable Addition to Microbial Inoculants
Organic yucca extracts are also a valuable addition to compost teas and other microbial inoculants. Since yucca contains complex sugars, it is a stable carbon source for plant-growth-promoting microorganisms in the root zone. Microorganisms convey many benefits to plants, including the mineralization of organic matter, improved root growth and induced resistance to pests and disease. So over time and with continuous use, yucca will help stabilise soil pH, decrease soil compaction, and increase the availability of essential trace elements to the roots.

Yucca Helps Minerals & Organics Keep in Suspension
Yucca extracts are sometimes added to concentrated nutrient formulas, especially when mixing mineral salts with organics. Yucca helps keep minerals and organics in suspension with each other in concentrated form. Sometimes the higher molecular weight organic molecules tend to settle out of solution. But if the solution contains yucca, a quick shake will disperse everything back into suspension for the perfect blend. Yucca extracts foam when shaken or vigorously stirred, though, so yucca is usually added to the mixing tank last.

Directions for Use
Add 1/16 to 1/8 tsp per gallon in reservoir for irrigations. Apply directly to soil or foliage as needed.
I mainly use it when flushing my medium it’s better used in foliar sprays or if you are adding it during the grow don’t water to runoff or you’ll just be flushing nutrients out unless your too high on ppms and that’s what your intending

Here’s a good ph cart for you

6 Likes

Great information @shady424 !!

Thanks

4 Likes

Anything I can do to help I’m no pro but had a few successful harvests it’s really all about learning to read your plants and that’s easier said than done but if you need any help feel free to ask great people on this forum wouldn’t have been successful without their help.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t want to start seedlings in straight coco coir even if I was using it as a final medium.

I start seeds in happy frog all the time without issue. But I think ProMix is ideal for seedlings.

8 Likes

Very informative thank you much @shady424

2 Likes

Sorry I don’t know about dirt growing as I have only done hydro so far. I’m sure the rest of the crew can help you out.

Sorry, I’m a hydro guy so I don’t have any experience with soil.